Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn: Wood Will Be Back Out In January; We're Up For Santa Cruz, Lara, Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hearn: Wood Will Be Back Out In January; We're Up For Santa Cruz, Lara, Martinez

Leigh Wood is ready to return to the ring. Whether or not his secondary WBA featherweight title will depend on what comes of his latest round of ordered talks with Leo Santa Cruz.
    [Click Here To Read More]

The WBA need to stand firm. Hearn probably has a point over the split, but other than that it's for the greater good of boxing that all these 'regular' belts disappear. There's seven to go and things have stalled lately.

Comment

January comes too soon to have a big fight

Comment

WBA just needs to follow its own process. Order a purse bid and , providing someone actually bids on it, strip whichever - or both - fighter doesn't move forward with the fight.

However, for consistency, WBA should also order unifications in the other divisions where it has failed to do so eg 135 etc.
        Last edited by tokon; 12-02-2022, 03:58 AM.
        Hustle Hustle likes this.

Comment

Just get on with it. 25% is ample for Wood, he’s completely unknown. Beat Santa Cruz and you the king
          Oldskoolg Oldskoolg likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by tokon View Post
            WBA just needs to follow its own process. Order a purse bid and , providing someone actually bids on it, strip whichever - or both - fighter doesn't move forward with the fight.

However, for consistency, WBA should also order unifications in the other divisions where it has failed to do so eg 135 etc.
            It's December 2022! If the WBA was serious about eliminating the secondary titles, there would not be secondary titles @ HW, 168, 160, 147, 135, and 126! This article came out in August 2021:

WBA Prez Aims To Reduce Number of Titles, Hopes To Start Plan in October

​“A plan is coming, we are not looking to do it for popularity, but we are going to definitely reduce the number of titles. That flexibility that we had with the titles, we are going to eliminate it little by little," Mendoza told ESPN Deportes.

"It is something that the public has asked for, even if I am not one hundred percent in agreement with that change. I feel that with more titles we give the fighters more opportunities, but I understand that the public is very important [to the sport].

“I know that on other occasions I have said [that I would reduced the number of titles] and I have not been able to fulfill that, but now I am going to do it, I'm saying this with my feet on the ground - after having analyzed the numbers, after having analyzed the situation that has been generated and the number of controversies there have been, and with respect to the level of legal conflicts it will also simplify things for the WBA.

"I am not telling you that I am going to stay with a single champion [in each division], but yes, most of the divisions I am going to stay [with one champion]. It is a difficult plan, I hope that in October we will start it, I do not know how long it can take. I do not know in which divisions the interim belts will be removed and in which divisions the regular and the super champions will remain. We are going to strengthen the Gold belts that we have."

https://www.boxingscene.com/wba-prez...-159697​

Get em up Get em up likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
              It's December 2022! If the WBA was serious about eliminating the secondary titles, there would not be secondary titles @ HW, 168, 160, 147, 135, and 126! This article came out in August 2021:

WBA Prez Aims To Reduce Number of Titles, Hopes To Start Plan in October

​“A plan is coming, we are not looking to do it for popularity, but we are going to definitely reduce the number of titles. That flexibility that we had with the titles, we are going to eliminate it little by little," Mendoza told ESPN Deportes.

"It is something that the public has asked for, even if I am not one hundred percent in agreement with that change. I feel that with more titles we give the fighters more opportunities, but I understand that the public is very important [to the sport].

“I know that on other occasions I have said [that I would reduced the number of titles] and I have not been able to fulfill that, but now I am going to do it, I'm saying this with my feet on the ground - after having analyzed the numbers, after having analyzed the situation that has been generated and the number of controversies there have been, and with respect to the level of legal conflicts it will also simplify things for the WBA.

"I am not telling you that I am going to stay with a single champion [in each division], but yes, most of the divisions I am going to stay [with one champion]. It is a difficult plan, I hope that in October we will start it, I do not know how long it can take. I do not know in which divisions the interim belts will be removed and in which divisions the regular and the super champions will remain. We are going to strengthen the Gold belts that we have."

https://www.boxingscene.com/wba-prez...-159697​

They literally just consolidated the divisions they weren't making top dollar on the secondary titles. All the divisions you named has someone in the division they can make reasonable money on as a secondary titlist or a real champion they dont wanna force to fight in a consolidation fight for fear of said champion vacating.

Comment

Originally posted by Get em up View Post

They literally just consolidated the divisions they weren't making top dollar on the secondary titles. All the divisions you named has someone in the division they can make reasonable money on as a secondary titlist or a real champion they dont wanna force to fight in a consolidation fight for fear of said champion vacating.
                Well that's the problem! That's always been the problem! I think LSC and Tank have had those titles long enough! Make them fight the Super Champs, or strip 'em!

Hustle Hustle Joe shmo Joe shmo like this.

Comment

It's sickening the LSC has been able to hold the WBA title for so long.
                  dannnnn dannnnn likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
                    It's December 2022! If the WBA was serious about eliminating the secondary titles, there would not be secondary titles @ HW, 168, 160, 147, 135, and 126! ​
                    You've literally listed some of THE most popular/historic divisions, is it any wonder they're not in any rush in said divisions not that i'm condoning it but that is sadly the reality of the situation.

And given the aforementioned reality there is money to be made off mickey mouse belts, especially given the popularity of some of the fighters holding said mickey mouse belts.

Arguably they're making more than the real champs therefore they have no reason to force them to give them up or force "unification" fights on them and risk losing sanctioning fees.

A great example of crap like this was Callum smith being the WBC Silver and available to fight and for some apparent reason the WBC decides to pass him up and making the Benavidez vs Gavril fight rather than Benavidez vs Smith and make his next fight for the "diamond" belt...

Ultimately the WBC keeps money coming in from both sides of the Atlantic not doing that fight and Smith was paying the WBC until the Canelo fight and probably still is in one way or another...

Comment

Working...
                    X