No announcement yet.

When Henry Cooper Nearly Derailed Cassius Clay's Title Hopes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Henry Cooper Nearly Derailed Cassius Clay's Title Hopes

British boxing legend Henry Cooper is still remembered for it. More than 41 years after the fact, Cooper remains a beloved figure in his native England and when fans reminisce about old ’Enery, they talk about the potent left hook he landed to the jaw of 21-year-old Cassius Clay. And they talk about what might have been ...

On June 18, 1963, the young, brash American Clay entered the ring in venerable Wembley Stadium in London to take on the 29 year-old Cooper, who was a top flight fighter in Europe and the British Empire, but who was not considered by most to be a serious threat to derail Clay’s title ambitions.

Cooper had a record of 27-8-1. He was a capable fighter who had won 12 of his previous 13 bouts, the only defeat being a KO loss to the highly regarded American Zora Folley in December of ’61. The Englishman was a long shot to beat Clay, but an upset was not out of the realm of possibility. Cooper wasn’t flashy, but he did possess a left hook that could separate any heavyweight around from his senses. A decision win for the plodding Englishman over the slippery, fast-moving, fast-punching Clay was very unlikely. Cooper would certainly need to knock Clay out to win. But could it be done? Many of Cooper’s countrymen believed it could happen, even though Cooper at 186 pounds weighed 20 pounds less than the cocky American. Cooper, the pride of Bellingham, had won impressively in his previous two outings, knocking out Joe Erskine in nine rounds and Dick Richardson in five rounds in successful defenses of the Commonwealth (British Empire) and British heavyweight titles. Cooper had the punch if he could somehow find Clay’s chin with it.
    [details]

Good article very well written..

Comment

i saw that fight on espn clasics. it was pretty good. and clay was hurt when he went down. i hadn't seen clay that hurt in any of the fights i've seen of him

Comment

Ali was definitely hurt in that fight. Probably the most he has been in his entire career. More so that the Frazier knockdown in '71. Big George Foreman may have hurt Ali as bad, except he didn't go down...

I don't know of Ali hitting the canvas other that those two times.

Comment

I read about that in a book called Facing Ali as well. It's pretty cool, it's about Ali, but from the perspective of fighters that he faced throughout his career.

Comment

^^sounds like a great book.Good idea

Anyway, i have the fight on tape and Dundee had to put the **** to Ali's nose. His eyes were bugged out. I think Holmes hurt him worse but that was just a good ol fashioned beat down. Fraziers punch also seemed to be more devasting being that they were deep into that fight.

Comment

Working...
            X