Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: David Morrell: "I Want Benavidez But It's Not Depending On Me"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: David Morrell: "I Want Benavidez But It's Not Depending On Me"

Having aggregated an amateur record consisting of 130 wins against only two losses, David Morrell found it necessary to accelerate his pro career. Just one year following his debut, the Cuban star snagged the interim WBA super middleweight crown. Shortly after, the WBA's proliferation of world titles would continue as the 24-year-old was elevated to "Regular" champion.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I'm not a fan of Benavidez but Morrell was just using his name, he called him out a lot and all he needed to do was ask his promoter/manager if the fight was possible. But I'm happy if he fights Aidos Yerbossynuly (who I think is his WBA mandatory).

But it's disappointing the fans will have to continue to wait to see any mix of Morrell, Charlo, Benavidez and Charlo. Because it looks like Canelo is injured and is targeting Bivol - who is better and more proven than the other 4.
    Last edited by Body the jab; 09-28-2022, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Morrell kept barking his name but as soon as the big dog starting barking back, Morrell went quiet.

I like Morrell, entertaining and skilled, but calling out somebody you're not really willing to fight is a bad look. Blame it on the team or whoever you like but it's still a bad look.

Comment

Clown behavior.. It depends on my team.. what a bozo! Keep Benavidez name out yo mouf, just using his name for promo ya lame!
        FaustoGeraci FaustoGeraci likes this.

Comment

Morrell wants it, Ronnie Shields does not!

Morrell's Trainer On Fighting Benavidez Next: I Don't Wanna Rush Him Into Something
          June 7, 2022

David Morrell Jr.’s respected veteran trainer believes in his talented boxer’s ability and potential. Shields also appreciates Morrell’s ambition, which led the unbeaten WBA world super middleweight champion to state Saturday night that fighting David Benavidez next would be “perfect.”

With just seven fights on his professional record, however, Shields realizes Benavidez would be a gigantic step up in competition for Morrell, who stopped a huge underdog, Kalvin Henderson, in the fourth round of their fight Saturday night at The Armory.

“I don’t know, to tell you the truth,” Shields told BoxingScene.com following Morrell’s impressive victory. “As the trainer, you know, my job is to assess everything I see that he does well and didn’t do so well. And then I’ll put that against what I think Benavidez is. If I like it, I’ll say, ‘OK, I’m good with it.’ If I don’t, then I’ll say, ‘Let’s hold off and wait.’ ”

The Cuban-born, Minneapolis-based Morrell (7-0, 6 KOs) has looked tremendous while knocking out Mike Gavronski, Mario Cazares, Alantez Fox and Henderson in his past four fights. But Benavidez (26-0, 23 KOs) is an elite-level super middleweight who has nearly four times as much professional experience as Morrell.

“It’s a huge fight,” said Shields, who also trains unbeaten WBC middleweight champ Jermall Charlo. “This kid wants to fight everybody, but sometimes you have to save fighters from themselves, you know, and take a better path, so that you don’t run into something that you’re not ready for. At the same time, let me tell you something, this kid, man, he wants to learn and he wants to beat everybody.

https://www.boxingscene.com/morrells...ething--166797

budfr budfr likes this.

Comment

Blame it on Ronnie Shields, same guy that turned Jermall into a kitten.
            garfios garfios likes this.

Comment

Big fight. David Morrell is already world champion with only 8 fights. Somebody has been pushing Morrell.
              Has Ronnie Shields seen something disturbing in Morrell's training sessions?

Comment

They should fight each other.

The winner will get even more adulation and possibly get a Canelo fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Bornboxingfan View Post
                  Big fight. David Morrell is already world champion with only 8 fights. Somebody has been pushing Morrell.
                  Has Ronnie Shields seen something disturbing in Morrell's training sessions?
                  He is only an interim champion, and he has more than 130 fights with his amateur pedigree, so don`t make it seem like it`s a big deal, ignorant.

Comment

Lol they will try and throw every hurdle they can at Benavidez.

Comment

Working...
                    X