Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilder Says He Was Close to Retiring, But Changed Mind After Seeing His Statue Raised

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Wilder Says He Was Close to Retiring, But Changed Mind After Seeing His Statue Raised

By Sean Nam - Not everyone gets a life-sized effigy made in their image for posterity. Not everyone, of course, is Deontay Wilder. The former heavyweight titlist and Olympic bronze medalist from Tuscaloosa, Alabama, was seriously considering hanging up the gloves after his knockout loss to Tyson Fury in their trilogy last October. But Wilder, 36, apparently had a
    [Click Here To Read More]
    SN!PER SN!PER likes this.

I'm glad he didn't. Wilder's still a badass.

Unban me ya prick. That **** was unfair and you know you only banned me because you were being a soft **** that night. I'm worth 100 Redeemers at least.

-Marchegiano

Comment

Damn this guy is so delusional it's hard to listen him talk

Comment

He took a lot of punishment against Fury but hes an entertaining fighter and one of the biggest names in the division. I hope he sticks around for another 3-4 fights at least.

Comment

Alabama clown "changed mind" after his owners explained to him that he'll get his PBC, I mean, WBC belt back without fighting Fury again.
          They know that "honest" Fury is banned from the US, btw, this happens only to the best people, so all they have to do is win the purse bid (it won't be less than 60/40, maybe 55/45 though it won't even matter) and stage the fight in the US.
          And voila!
          Last edited by James Hunt; 09-28-2022, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Should’ve retired

those fights will have taken a lot out of him. Most big punchers lose the ability to pull the trigger once they get knocked out and get older. If Wilder can’t pull the trigger or has become a split second slower doing it, he really hasn’t got much else to work with.

Comment

Wait until he realises that the statue has better footwork than him.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                Should’ve retired

those fights will have taken a lot out of him. Most big punchers lose the ability to pull the trigger once they get knocked out and get older. If Wilder can’t pull the trigger or has become a split second slower doing it, he really hasn’t got much else to work with.
                Agreed he should have retired having seen this, but mainly because I reckon this loss of a split-second will also come from the loss of single-mindedness that sportspeople have when they start mentally equivocating.

This is something F1 driver, Fernando Alonso, put very succinctly when asked why he so confident going toe-toe with Michael Schumacher in seasons 2005 and 2006. Alonso said of him, "he has a family (now)" and that the incentive for him put it all on the line at 180mph approaching tight corners was diminished somewhat.

Which leads me back to boxing: This could manifest as Wilder not putting quite as much in during camp, which could be real problematic in future.

Comment

Carry on fighting,good for the sport,makes a change to glass chin AJ and mental fury

Comment

this is about maintaining a lifestyle. aka money. not about a statue. you see floyd jr. made all the money in the world still fighting....

Comment

Working...
                    X