No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Earnie Shavers - I Did The Punching

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Earnie Shavers - I Did The Punching

'The Acorn' has gone. We are losing boxing royalty. The heavyweights of the 1970s arguably represented the very best the sport has seen. Great champions, fighting each other, once, twice, three times, winning, losing, drawing and confirming one another's greatness with each battle, every war, every wonderful demonstration of this, the finest but most brutal art.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Damn, he was one of the nice guys.
    BritJimbo BritJimbo likes this.

Comment

He was certainly a fierce puncher, but to say 'hardest-punching heavyweight in history' is a bit of a stretch.
      Especially when you consider bombers like Liston, Lyle, Foreman, Frazier, Cleveland Williams, Dempsey,
      Louis, Wilder et al. More like 'ONE OF THE hardest-punching heavyweights in history'. May he R.I.P.

Comment

Makes cheating Canelo look stupid.

Comment

Shavers became seriously committed to Jesus Christ and said he regretted that everyone wanted to talk about how hard he could hit, but so few were interested in the Savior who had done so much for him. Rest in peace, Christian brother.
          Floyd Sinclair Floyd Sinclair likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Scene View Post
            Makes cheating Canelo look stupid.
            Lol

Wut?

Did you post in the wrong thread?

Comment

Originally posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
              He was certainly a fierce puncher, but to say 'hardest-punching heavyweight in history' is a bit of a stretch.
              Especially when you consider bombers like Liston, Lyle, Foreman, Frazier, Cleveland Williams, Dempsey,
              Louis, Wilder et al. More like 'ONE OF THE hardest-punching heavyweights in history'. May he R.I.P.
              I dont know if he was THE biggest puncher ever, but it seems like everyone that got hit by both said that Shavers hit harder than Foreman, which is pretty ****ing scary.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
                Well, the idea that he is the single hardest pincher in history came from the actual guys who fought him and/or sparred with Ernie, who also fought the other guys, namely Ali who fought Liston and Foreman and Frazier and Williams, etc., as well as the eyewitness accounts of the trainers involved. I'd say it's a safe bet that if he wasn't #1, he was in top 3, and that includes Wilder's now-famousn right hand which has to be up there, along with Foreman. But Vlad has to be up there, even though I never could stand him and most of his competition sucked,.but he definitely crunched some faces pretty badly.

Comment

Ernie was only 6' and 215lbs but would put holes in all heavies he hit ....even todays monsters!!!........complete one off .I remember Holmes once saying they were all playing cards at a camp and someone upset Ernie ....Holmes tried to stay out of it but calm Ernie down because he said 'nobody wanted Ernie kicking off'...lol.....RIP champ , you've made your mark and Lacey as probably the hardest hitting fighter of ALL time.

Comment

Great guy RIP

Comment

Working...
                    X