Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Usyk's Climb Prompts Memories of The Best Multi-Weight Champions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Usyk's Climb Prompts Memories of The Best Multi-Weight Champions

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - It's not easy. But Oleksandr Usyk makes it look that way. The Ukrainian phenom collected every belt to be had at cruiserweight before ditching the bejeweled stash, packing on a few pounds, and girding himself to chase glory at heavyweight.
    [Click Here To Read More]

U kra i na u kra i na u kra i na u kra i na u kra i na u kra i na u kra i na u kra i na u kra i na u kra i na

Comment

Glen Feldman made it a split decision. The rematch wasn't unanimous.

Comment

There are champions and there are real champions. John Ruiz was never anywhere near the best HW in the world. Jones went up, took an easy belt, than ran away from the real champions back down the divisions. RJJ was never HW champion of the world in my view. Nash out.
        P to the J P to the J likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash out View Post
          There are champions and there are real champions. John Ruiz was never anywhere near the best HW in the world. Jones went up, took an easy belt, than ran away from the real champions back down the divisions. RJJ was never HW champion of the world in my view. Nash out.
          Exactly. I call them titlists. RJJ was a heavyweight "titlist", not the heavyweight champion of the world. Sometimes there will be more than one person in a division that can make the claim to be champion, (both Spence and Crawford are WW Champions) but most often they're just titlists. Holyfield IMO doesn't get enough credit for being an all-time great P4P fighter b/c he was the undisputed champion in two weight divisions, and routinely fought guys who were legit champions / ex-champions that outweighed him by 30-50lbs at heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by AmpMcv View Post
            Glen Feldman made it a split decision. The rematch wasn't unanimous.
            LOADED JUDGE BY EDWARD\Third Party
            Nice try doe.

Comment

Originally posted by shakedaddy View Post

Exactly. I call them titlists. RJJ was a heavyweight "titlist", not the heavyweight champion of the world. Sometimes there will be more than one person in a division that can make the claim to be champion, (both Spence and Crawford are WW Champions) but most often they're just titlists. Holyfield IMO doesn't get enough credit for being an all-time great P4P fighter b/c he was the undisputed champion in two weight divisions, and routinely fought guys who were legit champions / ex-champions that outweighed him by 30-50lbs at heavyweight.
              I agree with all of that Shakedaddy. Nash out.

Comment

It pains me to say it, but I agree with Nash Out. Fitzsimmons & Armstrong were triple world champions. When they were world champion at a weight no-one else was. SRL was undisputed at 147 after beating Hearns & at 160 after beating Hagler. He never was undisputed at 175. Hearns was a great fighter but I don't think he ever was undisputed at any weight. RJJ was clearly the best man at 160 & 175 but I'm not sure he was undisputed. He was never the best at H/W. Jeff Fenech won titles at about 6 different weights but I don't think he was ever undisputed at any weight. Manny Pacquaio was a bit like RJJ, he was the best man at weights from 126 to 147 but how often was he actually undisputed world champion?

Comment

Originally posted by shakedaddy View Post
                  I call them titlists.
                  I call them belt-holders. To me, "heavyweight champion of the world" is a title. If fighters and promoters want to target belts for prestige, be my guest. Just don't tell me to view them as true champions until they have beaten ALL the best challengers in their respective divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by MrShakeAndBake View Post

LOADED JUDGE BY EDWARD\Third Party
                    Nice try doe.
                    I never said otherwise. Sorry for the miscommunication. The article said it was unanimous.

Comment

Working...
                    X