Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Spence-Crawford, Danny Garcia, Ortiz-Ruiz, Haney, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Spence-Crawford, Danny Garcia, Ortiz-Ruiz, Haney, More

The Daily Bread Mailbag returns with Stephen 'Breadman' Edwards tackling topics such as Danny Garcia, Terence Crawford vs. Errol Spence, Devin Haney, Luis Ortiz vs. Andy Ruiz, and more.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Come on man. Breadman is saying all of the things that the Spence YouTubers say. Spence has three belts to Crawfords one. He sells more PPV and bigger gates. The only one of these things that is unassailable truth is the fact that Cowboy’s stadium is one of the biggest venues in the world and Spence being a Dallas native does well there. So his live gates are naturally larger when he fights in his hometown venue than when Crawford fights in Omaha. Crawford is a multi division champion former undisputed champion P4P number one three time fighter of the year champion. If he wasn’t already all of that there wouldn’t be anything especially interesting about this fight. Crawford’s PPV numbers aren’t great but neither are Spence’s reported numbers. We don’t know what Spence’s real numbers are. PBC does not release official numbers. There are some boxing writers like Mike Coppinger and Kevin Iole who give out tidbits of insider information on what they think the numbers are but there are never any official numbers released by Showtime or Premier Boxing Champions ever. And 350,000 PPV sells with another well known opponent is decent but not PPV star status. I don’t believe the numbers are being reported honestly and accurately though. Derrick James tried to come out and say that Spence vs Ugas did 700,000 PPVs and he never retracted that statement. My point is that this is not an A-Side/B-Side fight. This is a best fight the best type of fight. Thats the only reason why people are even talking about and anticipating this fight. That is the real narrative of this fight. Spence being the A-Side is the Spence fan narrative. These guys have completely overlapping fanbases. They’re both black Americans. Come on now…
    And the idea that Deontay Wilder should be considered a top fighter is just ridiculous. He showed that he is not that good by getting knocked out twice by Tyson Fury who is not a great puncher. And even if he was just getting knocked out twice in a row takes something out of you physically and psychologically. Breadman is being delusional by putting Wilder ahead of Joshua or anyone else who hasn't been knocked out two times in a row as the last thing they did in the sport.
    Last edited by peplz; 08-06-2022, 10:19 AM.
    Slowhand Slowhand likes this.

Comment

I admire Breadman’s insight a great deal, but damn..how the hell can he state Wilder is the 2nd best HW ahead of Usyk and AJ, as some sort of objective, unquestionable fact? On what basis?

Wilder literally has only one win against a top HW in his entire career, and has done nothing since but earn a dubious draw and then get knocked out twice by Fury, the latest one in brutal fashion. Even if Wilder was the 2nd best HW beforehand, for arguments sake, how can Breadman reason that this still remains the case, with no thought to the psychological and physical damage Wilder took? For all anyone knows, he could be a completely different fighter now.

And then Breadman states that there’s a case for Wilder entering the HOF?? I hate to question his objectivity, but is there some sort of underlying connection between Breadman and Wilder? His statements here with regards to Wilder are a whole different level of nonsense.
      Last edited by Blackstarr; 08-06-2022, 10:44 AM.
      Slowhand Slowhand likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackstarr View Post
        I admire Breadman’s insight a great deal, but damn..how the hell can he state Wilder is the 2nd best HW ahead of Usyk and AJ, as some sort of objective, unquestionable fact? On what basis?

Wilder literally has only one win against a top HW in his entire career, and has done nothing since but earn a dubious draw and then get knocked out twice by Fury, the latest one in brutal fashion. Even if Wilder was the 2nd best HW beforehand, for arguments sake, how can Breadman reason that this still remains the case, with no thought to the psychological and physical damage Wilder took? For all anyone knows, he could be a completely different fighter now.

And then Breadman states that there’s a case for Wilder entering the HOF?? I hate to question his objectivity, but is there some sort of underlying connection between Breadman and Wilder? His statements here with regards to Wilder are a whole different level of nonsense.
        Usyk reign was at CW! His win over AJ is a huge accomplishment, but when you factor in that AJ lost to Fat Andy Ruiz, it takes a lot of shine off the victory! Usyk might not be considered the best HW (YET), but Usyk is a P4P Top 3 Fighter! Neither Wilder, nor AJ can make that claim!

garfios garfios likes this.

Comment

Good read as always.

He states that the 2nd best HW of every era has gotten into the HOF, not sure that's accurate, though I guess it depends on how you define 'era'.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
            Usyk reign was at CW! His win over AJ is a huge accomplishment, but when you factor in that AJ lost to Fat Andy Ruiz, it takes a lot of shine off the victory! Usyk might not be considered the best HW (YET), but Usyk is a P4P Top 3 Fighter! Neither Wilder, nor AJ can make that claim!
            Usyk’s reign was at CW and so? His dominating win over AJ as a heavy underdog is as legit and significant a victory as they come, and I’ll be dammed if a Wilder coming off two consecutive knockout losses and a 10 month layoff is rated ahead of him.

And as for AJ, irrespective of his faults, he owns a legit win over Klitschko and has faced more top-10 HWs than the other heavyweights combined. Everyone knows he had no business losing to Ruiz, and the fact he was odds on favourite in the rematch he then went on to dominate proves that. Any fighter can have a bad day, but with AJ the chances are greater because he faces more top opponents than the other HWs. I’d also put him above Wilder at this point too.

Don’t you think Wilder needs to prove the level he’s at after such devastating defeats, before being ranked that highly, regardless of where you had him placed before those Fury fights? And do you seriously think Wilder has a legitimate case for making the HOF? Ridiculous talk if you ask me.

Ragga1 Ragga1 Atletisock Atletisock like this.

Comment

Great insights as usual.

Comment

Who is the complete halfwit who wrote this trash? He is a paid shill of promoters, nothing more. This halfwit is still promoting Spence/Crawford, just as if they have not already screwed us.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackstarr View Post

Usyk’s reign was at CW and so? His dominating win over AJ as a heavy underdog is as legit and significant a victory as they come, and I’ll be dammed if a Wilder coming off two consecutive knockout losses and a 10 month layoff is rated ahead of him.

And as for AJ, irrespective of his faults, he owns a legit win over Klitschko and has faced more top-10 HWs than the other heavyweights combined. Everyone knows he had no business losing to Ruiz, and the fact he was odds on favourite in the rematch he then went on to dominate proves that. Any fighter can have a bad day, but with AJ the chances are greater because he faces more top opponents than the other HWs. I’d also put him above Wilder at this point too.

Don’t you think Wilder needs to prove the level he’s at after such devastating defeats, before being ranked that highly, regardless of where you had him placed before those Fury fights? And do you seriously think Wilder has a legitimate case for making the HOF? Ridiculous talk if you ask me.
                  Wilder lost to Fury. AJ lost to a Fat Man, and a Crusierweight! That's not a good look! He didn't just lose either! He KO'd by Fat Man, and WHOOPED by a Cruiserweight! Only the ropes saved him! Not a good look!

Icefold Icefold likes this.

Comment

Stephen 'Breadman' Edwards, I've read your replies to question's, almost as much as you've put them out there.
                    I've never commented on any of your analysis's in the past, but that's not because you didn't have any expertise on the subject of boxing.
                    As a matter of fact you are as knowledgeable, unbiased, respectful, and professional as they come, when it comes to expressing your opinion.
                    I honestly enjoy the way you break down how it is that you arrived to your educated opinion on the particular subject at hand.
                    Your explanation about who Danny Garcia is as a boxer, champion, and person, in and out of the ring is as accurate as I've been able to observe.

Comment

Working...
                    X