Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Vergil Ortiz: Staying At 147 Until I Get First Title, Hopefully Don't Have To Wait Too Long

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Vergil Ortiz: Staying At 147 Until I Get First Title, Hopefully Don't Have To Wait Too Long

By Jake Donovan - Vergil Ortiz Jr. isn't consumed with having to silence the naysayers over claims of his struggling to remain at welterweight. How long he will have to wait for his first major title, however, could ultimately dictate how long--or soon--the time will come to move on to junior middleweight and beyond.
    [Click Here To Read More]

This kids a problem when he starts pumping his jab he really starts putting things together. Very young and he’s gonna be a bright star. I’d rate him over any current 154 lb fighter atm.
    JohnnyCan JohnnyCan likes this.

Comment

Eff them belts Vergil..

Just keep building you’re brand, you don’t need them weak azz trinkets for that.

Comment

Move up to 154 since Crawford-Spence are stalling the welterweight division. No need to win a belt there, so many good fights at 154 but I don’t think Golden Boy Promotions have many options since PBC has the majority of the 154lbs. Tough spot for Ortiz, stay at 147 and kill your body for some pointless belts unless you fight the winner of Spence-Crawford Immediately or go up to 154lbs and get fed that Munguia diet.

Comment

he had a chance for crawford and robert garcia had him removed from the wbo mandartory. spence will never right him. i guess he just missed the wbc moved thurman ahead of him and ennis. maybe if crawford moves on, he and ennis could fight for vacant belt. naw, they are both undefeated their teams will not do it.

Comment

Considering that GBP and Matchroom lacks any contenders at 154, I can see how it be important to attain a championship belt considering it will give him status to be able to fight with other fighters at light middleweight from different promotions.

Without them he will be considered high risk low reward like most up and comers.
            Last edited by Feroz; 08-02-2022, 01:32 AM.

Comment

I guess it all depends on how long it will be before he gets a title shot @ 147? His body is already telling him that it's time to move up! What if Spence vs. Crawford winds up having a rematch clause?

Comment

Would love to see Ortiz Jr v either Charlo, Spence, or Tszyu.

I see Spence overpowering Crawford who hasn't been continually active (and one could argue the same for Spence - he's fighting on PBC timelines) and hasn't always fought the best available.

Spence is a solid welterweight, maybe not the tallest, but he's got a solid, rugged frame- he'll be bigger than Bud should they fight, but at 34 (which according to sports science 34-35 are the highest ages at which you can still achieve peak fitness), he needs to get in there with Spence and prove he didn't get lucky at 140 becoming undisputed with below average opponents.

Ortiz Jr can definitely afford to be patient. Thurman, Benn, and Ennis are all potential barnstormers, but I wouldn't blame his manager for giving him a couple more years and matching him with someone who's got a real solid beard so he can learn to go the distance.

He's probably not going to be knocking everyone out when he reaches the elite level. He's about the same height as Spence, but probably is still filling out his frame, so we may not get those WW match-ups.

Comment

Great Post.

Ortiz has already got a serious illness from keeping his weight down by deliberately over training, 154 is were its at for him, maybe down the line Spence or duckford move up, he is in a rush like most young folks...

Comment

translation he's saying that he hopes to win the 147 pound title before Boots Ennis then use the move to 154 to duck him

Comment

Working...
                    X