Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Josh Kelly Boxes Past Lucas Bastida To Win WBO Regional Belt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Josh Kelly Boxes Past Lucas Bastida To Win WBO Regional Belt

Josh Kelly was taken the full ten rounds by Lucas Bastida in Newcastle in a fight that never really lived up to expectations, but which should do Kelly some good going forward.
    [Click Here To Read More]

There was plenty of energy during the final pre-fight words ahead of a huge night of free-to-air boxing live from the Vertu Motors Arena in Newcastle, live on Channel 5 from 10pm.

It was a triple-threat of title talk, as Josh Kelly (11-1-1, 7 KOs), Harlem Eubank (14-0, 6 KOs), and Pat McCormack (1-0, 1 KO) all promised sensational performances to propel their rise to the top as part of a huge night of free-to-air boxing on Saturday night, live and free-to-air in front a terrestrial television audience.

The WBO International Super Welterweight Championship will be on the line, as Sunderland's Kelly has the opportunity to make the stadium erupt in front of his own North East faithful. Argentina's Lucas Bastida (18- 1-1, 10 KOs) questioned the size and physicality of his opponent at the press conference, and promised to take a win back to his homeland. With an entry into the world rankings the incentive for both fighters, this guarantees to be the icing on the cake of a stacked night showcasing the area's unbelievable talent.

Comment

Any have a link for this or the CBS-Chamberlain card?

Comment

Originally posted by edpboxing View Post
        Any have a link for this or the CBS-Chamberlain card?
        Don't check your inbox.
        edpboxing edpboxing likes this.

Comment

Josh Kelly can’t punch, his style doesn’t work without the power to keep the other guy honest. Will get beat when he steps up. He has all the moves and great technique but will fall short.

Comment

Originally posted by Armchairhero View Post
            Josh Kelly can’t punch, his style doesn’t work without the power to keep the other guy honest. Will get beat when he steps up. He has all the moves and great technique but will fall short.
            Yep, also not just that, he actually seems to be missing a few fundamentals when all his flashy moves aren’t working. Back when he fought Ray Robinson, he found out that his showboating style wasn’t translating as he was going through the levels and he didn’t seem to be able to revert back to just getting behind a jab and doing the simple things well. Years ago when he first turned pro I said on this forum that he’s going to struggle when his flashy style isn’t working properly. If you’re going to be that flashy, you still either need fundamentals as a foundation, or some elite part of your skill set, like fight changing power otherwise good fighters will get to you

People on Sky were always comparing him to Naseem Hamed stylistically. Firstly Naseem had the power to bail out if him needed (except v Morales but no shame in that), But even when he fought Kevin Kelley, after a couple of rounds he actually started working behind a jab a bit more than usual and showed that he could actually do that and get a job done. He did have fundamentals if he needed them. But Josh Kelly seems to be a real case of style over substance.

I don’t think think he’s going to do much at 154. Power isn’t everything but his style requires it I think. A strong 154 guy will eventually get to him .
            Last edited by deathofaclown; 07-30-2022, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Yeh I’m on the same page as you, I wish him all the best being a local lad, but he isn’t world level, I find his fights quite boring to be honest.

Comment

man, kelly is trash. bastida was in jail not so long ago and still made this kid ran for his life in the last couple of rounds. as soon as he steps up in competition again he is getting stopped (again)
                NC Uppercut NC Uppercut likes this.

Comment

Kelly may look pretty in his movements, but I think the first real WW he encounters will bust his a$$ with ease, if he can get to him of course. Josh does a bit of dancing

Comment

Originally posted by NC Uppercut View Post
                    Kelly may look pretty in his movements, but I think the first real WW he encounters will bust his a$$ with ease, if he can get to him of course. Josh does a bit of dancing
                    He’s actually moved up to 154 because a WW beat him up. Idk what the reasoning was for that, because he’s a bit of a stocky welterweight, and had no power there either, which his style needs.

I think even Troy at British level will drown him pretty easily.

Comment

Working...
                    X