Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: New Book Fills In For Those Who Missed The Boat on Christy Martin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: New Book Fills In For Those Who Missed The Boat on Christy Martin

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I'll concede it here. I was never a Christy Martin guy. Though she was frequently on my television during her 1990s run as the bearded lady in Don King's promotional circus, the whole "Coal Miner's Daughter" thing never really resonated with me as she pounded her way through prelims against what I interpreted as iffy competition.
    [Click Here To Read More]

There is a good documentary on Netflix - Untold: Deal With the Devil that I stumbled upon a few months ago about Christy and I remember it being a really good watch. I think it’s still on Netflix and worth a look , it is fascinating what her personal life entails.
    Keysandboxing Keysandboxing 786 786 like this.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyCan View Post
      There is a good documentary on Netflix - Untold: Deal With the Devil that I stumbled upon a few months ago about Christy and I remember it being a really good watch. I think it’s still on Netflix and worth a look , it is fascinating what her personal life entails.
      Yeah, she has a crazy story. That doc is definitely worth a watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Fitzsimmons
        Though she was frequently on my television during her 1990s run as the bearded lady in Don King’s promotional circus, the whole “Coal Miner’s Daughter” thing never really resonated with me as she pounded her way through prelims against what I interpreted as iffy competition.

It’s not that I’m a women’s boxing hater. Far from it, in fact.
        The bearded lady and you're NOT a women's boxing hater?

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
          By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I'll concede it here. I was never a Christy Martin guy. Though she was frequently on my television during her 1990s run as the bearded lady in Don King's promotional circus, the whole "Coal Miner's Daughter" thing never really resonated with me as she pounded her way through prelims against what I interpreted as iffy competition.
          [Click Here To Read More]
          She was O.K. Tough enough., Juast a slugger who threw a tentative left and a wild right, which , if it connected put her opponent in difficulties. They were a pretty poor lot. Her "fight" with rail thin Deirdre Gogarty was the first time I'd seen her. She must have outweighed her to 20 lbs or mre, she was beefy, gogarty was a lath, with very POOR skills.
          My recollection was that Gogarty took plenty of wallops backpedalled all the time, never KDd only now and then knew enough to stick out a feeble left hand which did nothing.

The "fight" should have been stopped after the 1st rd. which I didjn't see. I think I switched on about ther 3-4th rd

She should be known mostly for Ducking Lucia Rijker in such an open way. when, after years of boasting and haggling, not to say ducking openly, when the fith was finally arranged. Rijker tore an Achilles tendon, so NO fight. Never even mentioned again.

Comment

Rijker was the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by real raw View Post
              Rijker was the truth.
              The first I heard of Rijker was when a very young Max Kellerman mentioned her. He said, "she's the only female boxer who fights like a man". So checked her out.
              Lethal. Did everything right. I first heard about Manny Pacquiao ,also on Max Kellerman's show. It must have beenjust after he bet up Ledwaba.and appeared on the scene.

Comment

Working...
              X