Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Adam Kownacki Views Barclays Return as 'Biggest Fight' of His Career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Adam Kownacki Views Barclays Return as 'Biggest Fight' of His Career

By Thomas Gerbasi - In combat sports, there's always that question hanging in the air for any fighter on a losing streak. "Is this a must-win situation?" It's also the dumbest question to be asked of a fighter, right up there with, "How's training going?" If a hot prospect loses to anyone, he or she moves backwards. If a champion loses to a challenger, mandatory or not, that belt and the perks and
    [Click Here To Read More]

Hypothetical: Kowanaki, Ruiz, Butterbean, who comes out on top?
    That's how far the division has fallen when today's butterbeans are even spoken about as contenders & one even took his shot, I'm really happy Ruiz did it but 1 fight in 3 year's against a 40 something shows his level.
    To me Kowanaki is a super obese SM/LH looking as his frame & writers talk about his output but they're not punches they're touches & dabs.
    Not interested unless it's against the likes of Sanchez, give his name some shine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sayithowitisuk View Post
      Hypothetical: Kowanaki, Ruiz, Butterbean, who comes out on top?
      That's how far the division has fallen when today's butterbeans are even spoken about as contenders & one even took his shot, I'm really happy Ruiz did it but 1 fight in 3 year's against a 40 something shows his level.
      To me Kowanaki is a super obese SM/LH looking as his frame & writers talk about his output but they're not punches they're touches & dabs.
      Not interested unless it's against the likes of Sanchez, give his name some shine.
      completely exposed vs Helenius a known plodder with lack of a killer instinct. It's a long way back for the pole. I agree I don't think he's a heavy. I think being a heavy suits his work ethic/ lifestyle.
      Castilo Castilo likes this.

Comment

I struggle to form a strong opinion about his last two fights on the spectrum of his capabilities and Helenius’ performance. He looked horrid but was that because he is horrid or because Helenius had his number or because Helenius really fought an incredible two fights. He looked really good and if you were to form an opinion JUST off of those 2 fights, you would think him a world champion. Is there a chance that Helenius somehow got way better?
        I imagine it is a bit in the middle of the scale on all accounts.
        Last edited by Cyborg Fangerloo; 07-20-2022, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg Fangerloo View Post
          I struggle to form a strong opinion about his last two fights on the spectrum of his capabilities and Helenius’ performance. He looked horrid but was that because he is horrid or because Helenius had his number or because Helenius really fought an incredible two fights. He looked really good and if you were to form an opinion JUST off of those 2 fights, you would think him a world champion. Is there a chance that Helenius somehow got way better?
          I imagine it is a bit in the middle of the scale on all accounts.
          It's a combo of all those I think. Kownacki had 2 rough wars against Arreola and Martin. After those his chin is probably gone or at least damaged.

But in truth Helenius seems finally to have overcome his injuries. He had a severe injury to his right shoulder and bicep and multiple broken bones in his right hand. In addition he had big fights with his promotion company and this lead to multiple years of lay off. During his comeback he suffered from a lung infection that he was diagnosed with after the Whyte fight. He also got the flu during the fight with Washington so overall since 2011 Helenius has underperformed in pretty much all his fights until Kownacki. He is a very good counter puncher at his best or at least was when you watch his fights with Peter, Liachovic, Levin and Brewster. He seems to have lost a lot of his sharpness and speed with age and whatnot but he still has a strong punch and he is more fit now than in many years. He had Whyte hurt early on and I believe Dave Allen called Helenius one of the most technical boxers he sparred with.

Stylistically Kownacki is also good for Helenius as his movement is poor, he is slow and he is not a dangerous power puncher. So overall I think Kownacki was never a world beater as he struggled with the likes of Kiladze. He also lost his chin using his style of blocking punches with his face. And Helenius is likely better than he looks. He looks tired and lazy pretty much all the time but then he manages to hurt guys and knock them out with punches that hardly seem like bombs. In his last fight Helenius seemed to have found his confidence too which has been missing for ten years. That also plays a huge role.

To me he is one of the most interesting veterans and whoever he faces next should not underestimate him. That guy who years ago was believed to challenge Klitschko one day is still there somewhere and more visible in his last fight again. He has a year or two left and hopefully will take risks to make some bucks before the end of the line. We'll see.

For Kownacki I see no way back. His chin is gone, his confidence is shattered, he is a small heavyweight without his blubber and fat doesn't help much in boxing. He has no size, no power, no defensive skills and no speed either. He is done whether he beats Demirezen or not.
          Last edited by letsgochump; 07-20-2022, 06:46 AM.

Comment

He has zero defense. There is no fixing this at his age
            Mooshashi Mooshashi likes this.

Comment

He has no defense and he is not as big and as strong as Joyce. he looked like a punching bag in Helenius fights. I don`t believe he can win this.

Comment

Win gets him back in the Wilder comeback knockout sweepstakes.

Comment

He doesn't move his head...AT ALL, EVER. Comes straight at you. It wasn't having two kids that disracted him, it was Helenius finding his head with every punch he
                  threw.

Win, lose or draw I wish Adam would retire after this fight. He's already taken WAAY shots to the head. Find something else to do and enjoy your ligfe with the kiddies.
                  Wacked_Out Wacked_Out likes this.

Comment

He was fun while he lasted. Sadly I think it’s over. The chin has cracked, it happens sometimes. I hope he retired soon, fun fighter who needs to hang ‘em up.

Comment

Working...
                    X