Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: David Jimenez Drops, Upsets Ricardo Sandoval By Majority Decision On Garcia-Fortuna Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: David Jimenez Drops, Upsets Ricardo Sandoval By Majority Decision On Garcia-Fortuna Card

LOS ANGELES - David Jimenez made the most of the biggest opportunity of his career Saturday. The unknown flyweight from Costa Rica upset Ricardo Sandoval by majority decision in their 12-round WBA elimination match on the Ryan Garcia-Javier Fortuna undercard at Crypto.com Arena. Jimenez dropped Sandoval in the 11th round and overcame a point deduction for holding and hitting in the seventh round to win on two scorecards.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Upset .

Comment

How do you land significantly more power shots & jabs.. and lose the fight? LOL

Sandoval clearly won the fight.. but whatever

Comment

I'm guessing it was judges that are more impressed with being on the front foot, since there were several swing rounds early, all of which had Sandoval boxing off the back foot.

Could also say that the right guy won because he was the only one to score a knockdown and do any kind of appreciable damage. Sandoval never really had Jiminez in any kind of trouble despite outlanding him, although I thought the body shots were doing some damage. Effective violence is a judging criteria, and the judges may have felt that Jiminez was landing better shots.

That knockdown certainly lost Sandoval the fight. That allowed for a two point spread in a close fight and shifted the momentum at a critical moment. I thought it was too close to call, personally, although I wouldn't have complained either way. Either way, compubox stats don't tell the story of the fight any more than scorecards do.

Comment

Working...
        X