Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Smith Reflects on Loss to Beterbiev: I Lost My Focus...Was Knocked Off My Equilibrium

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Smith Reflects on Loss to Beterbiev: I Lost My Focus...Was Knocked Off My Equilibrium

Joe Smith Jr. admits he could never implement his strategy to the fullest extent during his short-lived tussle with Russian puncher Artur Beterbiev.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I respect him for his guts, but it was stupid to stalk Beterbiev after getting knocked down each time. Plus, his arms are long and should have kept it on the outside, not raising the war banners for CQC. Ward said it after the fight and I agree, the game plan should have been box him from the outside.

Comment

Far too late but learning at least a little defense would do wonders. Face first, relying on offense isn't it. This should make sense, especially after Saturday night.
      MulaKO MulaKO likes this.

Comment

At least he was humble and classy as he always is and didn't blame his robe and his trainer and the referee and call Artur a cheater and 50 other things...
        Castilo Castilo likes this.

Comment

Smith is a tough man with a brave hart, but he is quite limited; no jab, poor foot movement, no faints, squares up... Beating a 52 yrs old Hopkins and a faded Fonfora can only take you so far. He was clueless against Bivol, lost to Barrera and got crushed by Beterbiev. Those are the facts.. that his fans will have to acknowledge eventually.

Comment

Good enough to win a title in the 4 belt era, and an era that doesn’t include fighters like Jones, Calzaghe, Ward, Spinks, Toney, etc etc but I think smith has gone as far as he can go in the current light heavyweight division. I hope he has cleared 7 figures, if so invest it wisely and move on lad

Comment

Originally posted by War Room View Post
              I respect him for his guts, but it was stupid to stalk Beterbiev after getting knocked down each time. Plus, his arms are long and should have kept it on the outside, not raising the war banners for CQC. Ward said it after the fight and I agree, the game plan should have been box him from the outside.
              It seem to me like he didn't want to take punishment as soon as he felt Beterbiev's power. He pretty much threw out whatever the game plan was and committed to an early knock out in lieu of a sustained beating. He was pretty much walking in face first begging for the other guy to end the fight. He gave himself little chance.
              Castilo Castilo likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by steeve steel View Post
                Smith is a tough man with a brave hart, but he is quite limited; no jab, poor foot movement, no faints, squares up... Beating a 52 yrs old Hopkins and a faded Fonfora can only take you so far. He was clueless against Bivol, lost to Barrera and got crushed by Beterbiev. Those are the facts.. that his fans will have to acknowledge eventually.
                Tbf with a limited skillset he's gone pretty far tbh to become a world champion and he's probaly made some decent money the past few fights he had probaly got payed a nice 6 figures for his last fight so for a guy who was a Construction worker who boxed in his spare time he's done okay
                Last edited by Boxing2695; 06-21-2022, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
                  Good enough to win a title in the 4 belt era, and an era that doesn’t include fighters like Jones, Calzaghe, Ward, Spinks, Toney, etc etc but I think smith has gone as far as he can go in the current light heavyweight division. I hope he has cleared 7 figures, if so invest it wisely and move on lad
                  Probaly not 7 figures probaly done okay tho can still be in some fun fights I'd like to see him fight calum smith or somebody on a dazn show think he could get a nice pay day there because he'll have a name as a former champion and he is a dangerous fighter he was just in there with a guy who's just a wrecking machine right now and he's running through top level light heavyweights.
                  ​​​​​​
                  Not fair to put him in the same breath of the guys you mentioned because there atg fighters and not many guys would beat them two of them retired undefeated. Toney was a light heavyweight for less then a year and spinks was also undefeated as a light heavyweight
                  Last edited by Boxing2695; 06-20-2022, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing2695 View Post

Tbf with a limited skillet he's gone pretty far tbh to become a world champion and he's probaly made some decent money the past few fights he had probaly got payed a nice 6 figures for his last fight so for a guy who was a Construction worker who boxed in his spare time he's done okay
                    I agree…Joe kinda reminds me of a poor-man’s version of Carl Froch - a bit crude at times, but gets way more in results, than it seems he should. Against AB, I didn’t give him much of a chance, but it was was clear to me that the legal shot AB dropped on top of Joe’s head was the shot that really ended the fight. The big guy never recovered from that.

MulaKO MulaKO likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X