Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: De La Hoya: If You Really Want To Be Champion, You Should Fight The Very Best

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: De La Hoya: If You Really Want To Be Champion, You Should Fight The Very Best

The Oscar De La Hoya that most of us are accustomed to see, is that of the smiling, charismatic, debonair, wondrously gifted fighter, who won a gold medal at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, then embarking upon a dazzlingly brilliant pro career, conquering world championships in six weight divisions ...The Golden Boy Poster Pinup, who`s since progressed into a very successful boxing promotions career.
    [Click Here To Read More]

When will he promote Munguia likes this and have him fight the best at 160?

Comment

Oscar said: “Boxing to me is my life. I owe everything to boxing. It was a way to let out my frustrations and it makes you mentally tough to a point where you don`t have to fight in the streets. It`s about taking you to a new dimension, where you`re a pushing yourself to the limit, and it`s a gift. My father used to say…when do you see a rich kid become a world champion? It`s rare. With kids who grow up in poverty, the work ethic is different, and the heart is bigger. When the going gets tough…Boxing is a sport for the poor that the rich love watching.”

There is so much truth in that paragraph from Oscar, great statement.
      MEXGBP MEXGBP likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Babadoux View Post
        When will he promote Munguia likes this and have him fight the best at 160?
        How dare you suggest that Jimmy 'Kilrain' Kelly isn´t a HOFer?

Comment

I bet Oscar used the very best utensils

Comment

Oscar is right. He is a throw back fighter and times have changed. Today’s fighters are making too much money for less risk. Back in the day boxing was called prizefighting because boxers used to fight each for the most amount of money for the most amount of risk. Now, sadly it’s the reverse.

Comment

Oscar prefers boxing of the past when fighters were prepared to take more risks. Nowadays fighters: “Focus too much on being undefeated, fighting opposition which is not at their level. I think boxing should be more competitive. If you really want to be a champion, you should fight the very best.” - De La Hoya

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Munguia walked away from a WBC title fight with Charlo, claiming "DAZN must be involved," yet Andrade the WBO Champion has been sitting there, fighting on DAZN, for years, and Munguia wants no smoke! Then just recently Munguia walks away from Alimkhanuly for a WBO Interim Championship fight! Does Jaime Munguia really want to be a Champion? Who's the obstacel? Yup, Oscar De La Hoya! Let's not even talk about Ryan Garcia swerving Devin Haney! Pathetic!
              Last edited by Bronx2245; 06-10-2022, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Didn’t he just slate Hearn for putting Canelo in with Bivol who was consensus number 1 or 2 at LHW ?

Comment

I think the best fighting the best, happens more in the amateurs. Because Amateur boxing is fundamentally about competition at its purest.

Professional boxing is many things, it's competition, its business, it is also theater.

Therefore, yes? If you want to be Champion test yourself, you should fight the absolute best. But that is not always the case, fighters can be guided on routes to titles where they avoid certain challenges etc.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                    Didn’t he just slate Hearn for putting Canelo in with Bivol who was consensus number 1 or 2 at LHW ?
                    Oscar just took shots at everyone!

Oscar De La Hoya takes shots at Al Haymon and Eddie Hearn, discusses his falling out with Canelo, desire to make Ryan Garcia vs Gervonta Davis, much more
                    June 9, 2022

On whether Davis vs Garcia happens this year

“I hope so. I’m gunning for November. Ryan Garcia, if he gets past Fortuna, which I believe he will — I believe Ryan has too much firepower, he might stop him in the sixth or seventh round. If that happens, we hopefully can focus on November and try and get this fight done.

“I would think it’s almost impossible, because there’s a certain person who works against everyone in the industry. The ‘manager on paper,’ Al Haymon, who controls everybody on Showtime and all the fighters there, doesn’t want to make these big fights happen. It’s incredible, I just do not understand it. But I’m going to keep pushing.

“I was once a fighter, so I understand that these fighters want these big fights, and I know what it takes to get them done as a promoter. I’m just listening to the fans here and trying to push as hard as I can. It’s not our fault, it’s not the fighters’ fault, it’s just a certain person who doesn’t want to make these big fights happen.”

On whether there are promoters he won’t work with

“No, I’ll work with everybody. I’ve worked with Bob Arum, I’ve worked with Don King in the past, I’ve worked with every single promoter out there in the world. I have no problem whatsoever, I have no ego whatsoever. I just want to make these fights happen. That certain person, Al Haymon, who basically controls everything, all the fighters at PBC, it’s a tough position to be in. But as long as we keep on beating that drum, hopefully he’ll crack.”

On not being an Eddie Hearn fan

No, I mean, look, it’s, he’s — he’s building, he’s doing a lot of fights that mean nothing. Especially here in the US. He might be a good promoter in the UK, and he’s building European fighters, but it means nothing here in the US. I know this is a business and he’s partners with DAZN, and obviously now I’m partners with DAZN. But let’s just stay in our own lane and do our jobs right, let me focus on the US market and build champions, and boxing will keep on thriving for many years to come.”

He’s a character. That’s all it is. The business of boxing, to build superstars, to build champions, it takes a lot of strategy, it takes a lot of insight, knowing the fighters, knowing their styles, and that’s one thing that I’m an expert at. When I built Canelo Alvarez, when he crossed the border from Mexico at the tender age of 18 years old, and I promoted his first fight (in the US), we knew exactly what we had in our hands, and built him to be a monster. That’s exactly what I intend to do with Vergil Ortiz and Ryan Garcia, the next generation.

“Other promoters don’t know the secret of how to build a superstar. I’ve promoted Mayweather, I’ve promoted Pacquiao*, I’ve promoted all the big superstars in the past. There’s a formula that you need to have in order to build superstars.”

[* Editor’s Note: Golden Boy never really promoted Manny Pacquiao. He did sign a deal with Golden Boy in 2006, but never fought under it, instead returning his signing bonus and staying with Top Rank, who had built him and were the company where he spent all of his peak years as an attraction. Pacquiao did fight on cards co-promoted by Top Rank and Golden Boy.]

https://www.badlefthook.com/2022/6/9...xing-news-2022

Oscar talks a lot, but he doesn't think a lot! Haney vs. Garcia did NOT happen, even though Garcia won the eliminator with Campbell. Garcia vs. Tank did NOT happen, even though Garcia called out Tank after the Campbell fight! Munguia vs. Andrade (Hearn) did NOT happen, even though Munguia was WBO Champ @ 154, and could've made that fight happen! Munguia vs. Charlo (Haymon) did NOT happen, even though both fighters agreed, but Oscar insisted DAZN be a part of the show! Again, Andrade fights on DAZN! Munguia vs. Alimkhanuly (Arum) did NOT happen, even though it was for a WBO Interim Title! Oscar is FOS!!

Last edited by Bronx2245; 06-10-2022, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X