No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: James Metcalf Inks Promotional Pact With Eddie Hearn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: James Metcalf Inks Promotional Pact With Eddie Hearn

Liverpool Super-Welterweight contender James Metcalf has signed a multi-fight promotional deal with Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing following his impressive career-best win over Kerman Lejarraga at the Bilbao Arena in Spain last month that earned him the WBA Continental crown.
    [Click Here To Read More]

This makes utterly no sense. All the fights at light middle are pbc fighters. Why didn’t the kid sign with Haymon if he wanted championship fights? What “big fights” is he going to have at that weight with matchroom? Someone familiar with and who follows the British boxing scene at light middle explain this to me
    Last edited by Oldskoolg; 06-09-2022, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
      This makes utterly no sense. All the fights at light middle are pbc fighters. Why didn’t the kid sign with Haymon if he wanted championship fights? What “big fights” is he going to have at that weight with matchroom? Someone familiar with and who follows the British boxing scene at light middle explain this to me
      Matchroom have Madrimov, Soro, Smith and Cissoko all ranked in the top 10 at the weight. I'm guessing they're hoping the belts get vacated by Charlo. More of a pointless signing for Matchroom as I don't see JJ Metcalf beating anyone in the top 10. Although I think he sells a lot of tickets.
      Oldskoolg Oldskoolg likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by adotd View Post

Matchroom have Madrimov, Soro, Smith and Cissoko all ranked in the top 10 at the weight. I'm guessing they're hoping the belts get vacated by Charlo. More of a pointless signing for Matchroom as I don't see JJ Metcalf beating anyone in the top 10. Although I think he sells a lot of tickets.
        Ta…..so Hearn is looking to sell out local venues with contender level fights, ie an opponent

Comment

I think they have or had Kurbanov too, but I may be wrong. That's actually a winnable fight for Metcalf, and he's ranked number 1.

Comment

Ta…..so Hearn is looking to sell out local venues with contender level fights, ie an opponent
            Pretty much, or to stack undercards with championship fights or final eliminators. If Charlo doesn't vacate any belts, then the plan won't work, as none of his fighters have a chance against him.

Comment

I think that is always the way with British boxing. Find a guy who shifts tickets and go from there. And maybe hopefully into a stadium fight and a big opponent to draw interest a real domestic rival or in JJ's case probably a big name American who will see him as an easy touch for good money.

He is a decent fighter but obviously it isn't viable for him to get knocked out in America on a PBC undercard in a high school gym or whatever.

Son of Shea Neary in a popular fight City like Liverpool? There is money to be made somewhere there for him.

See Josh Warrington for an example. Obviously he has done well but the reason he is a valued commodity at matchroom is that he has always sold tickets. Often himself.

Tony Bellew was another example really. Good fighter obviously but if he didn't shift tickets he was in trouble. Sold tickets and still got peanuts vs Ovil Mac. The idea was that he would eventually turn that interest into a stadium fight against Makubu. Interest grew. Haye saw an easy touch. Domestic rivalry and millions to follow.

Really Boxing is pretty grassroots here. I mean our true elite fighters like a Fury other guys like Haye maybe. He is the man. Otherwise all of the good ones have a local following that swells.

Maybe Eubank Sr being a bit different. He never sold s.hit. Was in a lot of pretty boring fights but he had a charisma and an aura that drew people too him. Well wanted him beat I guess when he was younger. But Eubank always seemed an exception to me.

I mean I've supported local fighters before like Audley, lol. I think we support fighters like football teams in the main which is why the two go hand in hand in this country.
              Last edited by Sparked_26; 06-09-2022, 11:54 AM.

Comment

God for Metcalf coming off that big win. Would like to see him get another shot at the British title

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
                  God for Metcalf coming off that big win. Would like to see him get another shot at the British title
                  The BBBofC have called for purse bids for Williamson/Metcalf. Time limit 12.00 Noon, Wedneday July 13th.
                  BigZ44 BigZ44 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                  X