Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: De La Hoya Admits He "Dodged A Bullet" By Not Facing Vitor Belfort

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: De La Hoya Admits He "Dodged A Bullet" By Not Facing Vitor Belfort

Former six division world champion Oscar De La Hoya admits that he "dodged a bullet" by not following through with a scheduled fight against former UFC champion Vitor Belfort.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 06-09-2022, 12:23 PM.

1st sensible thing Oscar has said in a long time .

Comment

Shame the Triller event with Belfort vs Dawson got cancelled. Would like to see Belfort vs a non geriatric but still washed up boxer.

Comment

It most likely did De La Hoya well training and just preparing for the fight.

That was enough for his comeback, experiencing that process again.

Comment

Belfort probably could have made some noise as a pro boxer had he focused on just that. When I watched him back in the 90s, I remember thinking his boxing was just too good for the brawlers the ufc had back then. I really wish the nation of Brasil would concentrate more on boxing rather than Luta Livre, BJJ, and Judo. Those favelas are a never ending supply of potential contenders and champions

Comment

Why is Jake Paul not calling out Vitor Belfort?? I think i know the answer to that one...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
              Belfort probably could have made some noise as a pro boxer had he focused on just that. When I watched him back in the 90s, I remember thinking his boxing was just too good for the brawlers the ufc had back then.
              Yeah when he first came on the scene he looked like a monster, really fast hands. I dont think he ever fully lived up to that initial impression he made long term though, he still had occasional beastly performances even in the early 10s but hes never been consistent.

Comment

Sensible dlh. But I think dlh beats holyfield now

Comment

Faking covid to get out of a pointless fight was the least embarrassing option for him.

Comment

Let’s be fair and talk some sense here about Holyfield.

1. He had 8 days notice.
                    2. He had last fought in 2011.
                    3. He was 58 years old.

Holyfield is a human being, especially at 58.

I don’t care who you are and what your age is, an out of shape boxer with 8 days notice can lose to literally anybody. Check out Mayweather vs Spadafora sparring session. That was a totally out of shape Mayweather. In fact he has admitted that the sparring session made him always be in shape 24/7, 365. No one in their right mind would choose Spadafora over Mayweather in an actual pro fight. But we saw a version of that matchup and Mayweather lost.

If prime, 20s Mayweather can lose to someone he has no business losing to because he was out of shape…then yeah, 58 year old Holyfield would suffer the same fate.

Although I am not full of sh/t, so I will admit that I unrealistically thought Holyfield would win like mostly everyone did. But in hindsight, a decade since your last fight and 8 days notice, was a recipe for disaster. I mean it would have made sense if Holyfield won, it would have been a “duh” moment. But the other outcome makes sense as well.

It doesn’t matter how you came out of shape. Whether the fighter is overweight while not training, or he’s weight drained on fight night. Either way, it’s going to be tough. DLH decided to come in at 147lbs on fight night vs Pacquiao, who weighed a comfortable 148lbs. He was favored, it would have made sense for him to win. But in hindsight, Roach and Ariza were right: 1. He couldn’t make 147 comfortably, and was seen “huffing and puffing” while running. And 2. He couldn’t pull the trigger anymore.

Being out of shape in any way can be disastrous for any boxer in history.

Comment

Working...
                    X