Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sergey Kovalev: My Name, Skills Makes Cruiserweight Division Exciting Again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Sergey Kovalev: My Name, Skills Makes Cruiserweight Division Exciting Again

Sergey Kovalev believes he can bring newfound star power to a new division. The 39-year-old "Krusher" and former two-time light heavyweight champion will be making his cruiserweight debut on May 14 when he takes on Tervel Pulev at The Forum in Los Angeles in a Triller pay-per-view event.
    [Click Here To Read More]

niet comrade. you already sold your anus to canelo. we seen you hug him and ask for that selfie just before the fight. you a ho and you got quit in you.
    BaguMka BaguMka likes this.

Comment

The general public ain’t gripping onto the sofa paying attention to an already unpopular cruiserweight class with the Kovalev of 2015 in it, never mind one where 2022’s Kovalev wanders into it; a version who might even get beat by Lawrence Okolie.

Comment

WBSS tournament or I wont watch cruiserweight -- nah I'll watch Sergay get KO one more time, probably not his first fight but when he steps up I'll follow.

Comment

I wonder whether they should change the Cruiser weight division back to 190 pound limit. Therefore forcing all these old school heavyweights back into the heavyweight division.

Well I assume a larger number of the current cruiser weight fighters, may enter into the heavyweight division.

Because I have a theory that the classic heavyweight i.e The Ken Norton, Joe Frazier, Tommy Morrison, Ray Mercer, Muhammad Ali, Michael Moorer, Mike Tyson, David Tua, Ron Lyle, the classic physique old school heavyweights are all hiding out at Cruiser weight since? The introduction of the 200 pound limit.

I just think if the Cruiser weight division is moved back to 190 pounds, it would probably improve that division as well as the heavyweight division.

The competition at heavyweight would have more variation of styles, and physiques.

Comment

Originally posted by no.1P4P View Post
            niet comrade. you already sold your anus to canelo. we seen you hug him and ask for that selfie just before the fight. you a ho and you got quit in you.
            "When I want something, I will get it.”

Krusher mustn't have wanted to beat Ward . . . .
            P to the J P to the J likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post

WBSS tournament or I wont watch cruiserweight -- nah I'll watch Sergay get KO one more time, probably not his first fight but when he steps up I'll follow.
              Damn Briedis and Glowacki did a great job, some of those punches looked legit. Bivol and Canelo need some practice so that it doesn't look so weak when Bivol hits him.

Do you think we ever see Gassiev win a big fight at heavyweight? Some of his fights looked good too, although I haven't actually looked closely at his.

Three other guys who I thought put on good shows: Alexander Besputin in every fight except maybe Butaev, Butaev against Jamal James, Jaron Ennis the one time I watched him, and Israel Madrimov's KO of I think Rojas was very impressive work. Gvozdyk and Stevenson vs each other probably the best I've seen. I said that Gvozdyk was the best 175 I've seen the last 15 years, well maybe that's false, maybe Beterbiev's whole career just because to be literally like twice as strong and powerful as even the elite in that division, while being so close to them at everything else, and being so smart and tactically astute, it just seems like he really could be a modern Rocky Marciano, or a truly great all time light heavyweight. I mean, if his amateur career is any clue, he is the only one out of Bivol, Ward, Gvozdyk, and Kovalev to have success at heavyweight in the amateurs. And didn't he either beat or at least fight very even vs Usyk. Any light heavyweight that could be competitive with the current Usyk, it seems like they are an all time great light heavyweight and no one else, even as good as Bivol, should have much chance vs them at 175. But what I do I know.

However, I thought he and Gvozdyk both had showings that lowered both their stocks, with Gvozdyk unable to throw a proper power punch without falling sideways, and with Beterbiev losing rounds to an opponent who suddenly out of the blue was unable to throw a proper power punch without falling sideways. Gvozdyk looking so bad set the whole tone for the show where now because he looks bad, any competitive aspect to the fight at all will also make Beterbiev look bad, and I felt like that's what happened.

But if we compare the best Gvozdyk (vs Stevenson at the top level, and then maybe vs Mohammedi early in his career) to the best Beterbiev (almost any of his fights except vs Gvozdyk and the first two rounds vs Browne), if I had to pick, they would both overpower and out-variety the Bivol that fought Canelo, they would both beat Kovalev, they would both beat Ward at 175. The Bivol that fought Barrera, he might or might not beat Gvozdyk, but as for Beterbiev, if he couldn't stop Canelo moving forward with his punches, how will he stop Beterbiev coming forward?

I mean, some of these fights are so inconsistent, as far as the levels of power a fighter has or the skills, so you can really say whoever you want to win will win. I think it sends a better message to kids watching if Bivol or Gvozdyk come out on top over Beterbiev, Ward, and Kovalev, not that they should be watching Boxing at all but you get the point, so if I could pick, I guess I'd pick that, but as far as going off past results and trying to make some sort of consistency out of the inconsistent performances, I think the skill gap between Beterbiev and Bivol is less than the power and strength gap, because Beterbiev really does seem like the single strongest and most powerful boxer in the whole sport relative to his division, and it almost doesn't seem close. Who else in the entire sport does it feel like could do bicep curls with every other boxer in his division, or wrist curls?

And Beterbiev and Gvozdyk went the hard road through the division, Gvozdyk vs Stevenson and vs Beterbiev, probably the most difficult opponents both in skill and literal danger any boxer has had in one year in who knows how long, and Beterbiev vs Gvozdyk and to some extent Browne. Whereas Bivol went through the cash cow but not the big dangermen at 175. Bivol does have a deeper resume at 175 after the top level, maybe: Joe Smith Jr, Pascal, Chilemba (but Gvozdyk fought him too), Barrera, but Gvozdyk knocked out the Cuban who got robbed vs Pascal in a few rounds, he stopped Chilemba which Bivol couldn't, and Beterbiev fought Johnson and Kalidjic who are as good and maybe better than Smith Jr, Pascal, Chilemba, and Barrera.

Besides Beterbiev's fight vs Gvozdyk which is hard to make much sense of because Gvozdyk looked so goofy in it, he's shown the worst vs Browne and Dienes, which makes you question if he's just worse vs southpaws than orthodox? But then that can't be made much sense of either due to the fact, on the other hand, perhaps his greatest claim to being the best LHW is his success against Usyk in the amateurs, and Usyk is a southpaw.

But the people involved in this know so much more about Boxing than I do it's not even funny. So if it the results are meant to be true to reality, then they will be better able to figure all that out, and determine if maybe power and strength aren't as important as some of Bivol's advantages, given the specific styles and techniques and everything involved, or if they are, and the result will be much more realistic than whatever makes sense to me based on what I saw in past fights. But if no one really cares about that, and it's just about the desired result at the time, then that's what it will be, but I'm just pointing out it does seem inconsistent that Bivol has no punching power vs a smaller guy in Canelo but the exact same punches with the exact same preventative-mentality have much more punching power vs bigger stronger guys than Canelo. I think the explanation is supposed to be that Canelo went on PEDs and has a thick neck, but Pascal has an even thicker neck, and also tested positive for PEDs, and is much bigger and stronger than Canelo, and Bivol's punches still seemed impact Pascal's head harder.

Comment

Originally posted by tokon View Post

"When I want something, I will get it.”

Krusher mustn't have wanted to beat Ward . . . .
                wards got nothin to do with me. whats he mean to you? are you mexicano tryin to play a race card hahaha

sorry i mean jajaja

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                  I wonder whether they should change the Cruiser weight division back to 190 pound limit. Therefore forcing all these old school heavyweights back into the heavyweight division.

Well I assume a larger number of the current cruiser weight fighters, may enter into the heavyweight division.

Because I have a theory that the classic heavyweight i.e The Ken Norton, Joe Frazier, Tommy Morrison, Ray Mercer, Muhammad Ali, Michael Moorer, Mike Tyson, David Tua, Ron Lyle, the classic physique old school heavyweights are all hiding out at Cruiser weight since? The introduction of the 200 pound limit.

I just think if the Cruiser weight division is moved back to 190 pounds, it would probably improve that division as well as the heavyweight division.

The competition at heavyweight would have more variation of styles, and physiques.
                  WBC is already doing this with the Bridgerweight division. Well, they’re separating smaller heavyweights from bigger ones.

Right now I think it’s 200 - 224, but Mauricio Sulaiman said he wants to lower their Cruiserweight to 190 lbs, making Bridgerweight 190 - 224 lbs.

It’ll throw everything else off if the other sanctioning bodies don’t adopt it though.

Comment

Wow, 2.5 years out of the ring with his last fight ending in a KO loss to a SMW, now coming back @ 39 as a CW? The Krusher will get Krushed.

Comment

Working...
                    X