Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Bivol on Canelo: I Think He Wants a Rematch; He's a Guy Who Loves a Challenge

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Bivol on Canelo: I Think He Wants a Rematch; He's a Guy Who Loves a Challenge

Dmitry Bivol's overall opinion of Canelo Alvarez hasn't changed. Bivol, the WBA light heavyweight champion from Russia, stunned the boxing world by outpointing Alvarez in their 12-round 175-pound title bout last Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
    [Click Here To Read More]

'...size, speed, and technique was far too much for the sport’s box office and pound-for-pound star.'

Strange that Callum Smith, Caleb Plant, Rocky Fielding, and Sergey Kovalev weren't too big, though they measure between 6'0 and 6'3", but Bivol who is also 6'0" was. What gave him a real advantage over Canelo was superior footwork, and boxing know-how, enabling him to either get out of range or use a perfect guard at precise moments.

Being a bit taller is not even 10% of this story. Esp. bearing in mind that he did a lot of fighting in the pocket, and fights in a slightly crouched stance, thus giving up his height advantage, anyway.

Bivol should take this fight at 168 to shut the boxing media up; a class who are increasingly persuading me that thye know not a lot about the sport they're reporting on.

And yes, I do need to get a life, and drop this insane crusade to ensure Bivol gets the credit he deserves. But no, I don't think I'm going to.
    Last edited by P to the J; 05-11-2022, 07:38 AM.

Comment

sounds like bivol is willing to give 168 a crack for all the belts & a 10 mil plus payday

Comment

Originally posted by P to the J View Post
        '...size, speed, and technique was far too much for the sport’s box office and pound-for-pound star.'

Strange that Callum Smith, Caleb Plant, Rocky Fielding, and Sergey Kovalev weren't too big, though they measure between 6'0 and 6'3", but Bivol who is also 6'0" was. What gave him a real advantage over Canelo was superior footwork, and boxing know-how, enabling him to either get out of range or use a perfect guard at precise moments.

Being a bit taller is not even 10% of this story. Esp. bearing in mind that he did a lot of fighting in the pocket, and fights in a slightly crouched stance, thus giving up his height advantage, anyway.

Bivol should take this fight at 168 to shut the boxing media up; a class who are increasingly persuading me that thye know not a lot about the sport they're reporting on.

And yes, I do need to get a life, and drop this insane crusade to ensure Bivol gets the credit he deserves. But no, I don't think I'm going to.
        Very well said. Callum Smith is 6’3” and Plant is 6’2”. Heck, Kovalev is the same height as Bivol at 6’. The difference between them and Bivol is that Bivol has superior abilities and a better ring IQ.

Comment

I think the combination of the things you mentioned were important factors. The ring weight was an important factor. Bivol has been fighting at light heavy since his amateur days. That much weight is a bit too much for Canelo and it showed in the right. Weight aside, Bivol has much more skill, experience and talent than the 168 lb. champions that Canelo fought. Apart from his quickness and skill level, Bivol stamina far exceeds those guys as well. A fight with Canelo at 168 would be a better fight.
          Sayithowitisuk Bob likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by VashDBasher View Post

Very well said. Callum Smith is 6’3” and Plant is 6’2”. Heck, Kovalev is the same height as Bivol at 6’. The difference between them and Bivol is that Bivol has superior abilities and a better ring IQ.
            Just being taller than someone doesn't mean you are bigger. Ryan Garcia is 5'10. Is he bigger than canelo too?

Comment

I feel like more than anything Bivol stuck to his game plan and didnt allow Canelo to pull him out of it. I 100 percent agree size was a small factor in the fight.
              P to the J P to the J Sayithowitisuk Bob like this.

Comment

Originally posted by jockpunk View Post

Just being taller than someone doesn't mean you are bigger. Ryan Garcia is 5'10. Is he bigger than canelo too?
                Terrible comparison. All the guys that I’ve mentioned fight at the same weight class or close to it. Garcia’s a lightweight so obviously he’s not as big as Canelo.
                BustedKnuckles BustedKnuckles likes this.

Comment

Preach brother I'm with you on this.

First words I heard was bivol was to big so I added in the rest of the other problems canelo had.

Stamina, footwork, composure, ring craft it all adds up.
                  P to the J P to the J Sayithowitisuk Bob like this.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ProudLions View Post

Preach brother I'm with you on this.

First words I heard was bivol was to big so I added in the rest of the other problems canelo had.

Stamina, footwork, composure, ring craft it all adds up.
                    It’s not that Bivol is too big, it’s that he acclimated at weight

he can show his skills, compsure etc comfortably at that weight

canelo was just fighting at 160 not that long ago

So going up in weight that much probably slowed him down and wore on his stamina

his issues with stamina had kinda gone away

but that’s really why weight classes exist not cause of size but how good u can really be at a particular weight

Comment

Working...
                    X