No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Taylor-Serrano Classic Shatters Boxing's Glass Ceiling

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Taylor-Serrano Classic Shatters Boxing's Glass Ceiling

By Corey Erdman - There was a moment during each of Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano's ring walks on Saturday when both just stopped to take it all in. Serrano was the first of the two fighters to walk. For about ten minutes prior, the big screen in Madison Square Garden oscillated between images of the two women. The crowd was seemingly comprised of a slight majority of Irish fans, or at least, those supporting Taylor were more poignantly vocal, booing every time Serrano appeared on the screen in an attempt to drown out the rowdy Puerto Rican fans
    [Click Here To Read More]

What a fight. FOTY so far, male or female.

Comment

Lets see the numbers. It doesnt mean anything if they cant hit 6 figures in views domestically. Not joking ufc womens division #s are dismall compared to the mens division yet they outsell bud and even spence. Says alot. Good fight though. Wish them careers. Yet yall do remember laila ali was a huge name mostly cause her dad even she wont doing #s.

Comment

Originally posted by Ry92 View Post
        Lets see the numbers. It doesnt mean anything if they cant hit 6 figures in views domestically. Not joking ufc womens division #s are dismall compared to the mens division yet they outsell bud and even spence. Says alot. Good fight though. Wish them careers. Yet yall do remember laila ali was a huge name mostly cause her dad even she wont doing #s.
        The%2BAccountant%2B1.jpg

Comment

Was a great event, nnsb Incels were seething
          P to the J P to the J likes this.

Comment

I have to admit before this event I thought women's boxing was just another cynical attempt at cashing in on the politics of hyper-inclusivity, political correctness, wokeism, virtue-signaling etc.

I still believe that any criticism, no matter how valid, how objective, how sound, will always be seen as bigoted, and narrow-minded, especially when it's about equality of outcomes.

Serrano made the bout look eye-catching; she fights like a top male world-class fighter, whilst most of these women fighters' technique leaves a lot to be desired.

Serrano is all class. Taylor was head-hunting, and showed good heart and footwork, but was very basic in technique, and don't think she threw a single body shot.

I honestly thought Taylor would be lucky to get out with a draw, as she never really hurt Serrano, was always backing up, and got beaten up in the 5th and 6th.

As Tony Bellew said rightly the rounds need to be increased to prevent these women's pro boxing bouts from looking like two amateur debutantes' coming out and wildly throwing arm punches.

Serrano has a great style, the best I've seen from a female fighter - and her record would be the envy of most male pro fighters.

However just because equality sounds progressive and virtuous doesn't mean it translates into such a product.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolfool View Post
              What a fight. FOTY so far, male or female.
              I agree up until we see Canelo v Bivol and the rest of the big-name fights still to come at only halfway in the year. I think the crowd and Serrano made the spectacle very emotional, whereas Taylor looked out of her depth in class.

Definitely women's FOTY for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiowhatta View Post
                I have to admit before this event I thought women's boxing was just another cynical attempt at cashing in on the politics of hyper-inclusivity, political correctness, wokeism, virtue-signaling etc.

I still believe that any criticism, no matter how valid, how objective, how sound, will always be seen as bigoted, and narrow-minded, especially when it's about equality of outcomes.

Serrano made the bout look eye-catching; she fights like a top male world-class fighter, whilst most of these women fighters' technique leaves a lot to be desired.

Serrano is all class. Taylor was head-hunting, and showed good heart and footwork, but was very basic in technique, and don't think she threw a single body shot.

I honestly thought Taylor would be lucky to get out with a draw, as she never really hurt Serrano, was always backing up, and got beaten up in the 5th and 6th.

As Tony Bellew said rightly the rounds need to be increased to prevent these women's pro boxing bouts from looking like two amateur debutantes' coming out and wildly throwing arm punches.

Serrano has a great style, the best I've seen from a female fighter - and her record would be the envy of most male pro fighters.

However just because equality sounds progressive and virtuous doesn't mean it translates into such a product.

While capitalism has been cashing in on the things you say, it’s merely because capitalism is a constantly evolving ideology that survives by subsumíng any and every contemporary trend: whether fascist ideology like German companies did during WW2, or the hippie craze during the 60s.

So I hope you’re not fooled into thinking this on the part of boxing is motivated by any kind of political altruism.

The short story is this: boxing is, or was, in danger of becoming a failing product, and the female marketplace has been recognised as having huge potential to make up for decades of lost revenue.

Comment

I agree up until we see Canelo v Bivol and the rest of the big-name fights still to come at only halfway in the year. I think the crowd and Serrano made the spectacle very emotional, whereas Taylor looked out of her depth in class.

**** off you boring prick.

Comment

The bold is so wrong like you have no clue what you are watching. Katie grew big balls and was staggering Amanda backwards for a good while in some of the rounds. Your assessment is off.

Many 'experts' hate to admit they were wrong.
                    Last edited by BoxingIsGreat; 05-02-2022, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X