Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Photos: Liam Smith Batters, Stops Jessie Vargas in Ten Rounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Photos: Liam Smith Batters, Stops Jessie Vargas in Ten Rounds

Smith, Vargas Fight Photos Gallery - Madison Square Garden, New York City - In a crossroads junior middleweight bout between former world champions, Liam Smith (31-3-1, 18 KOs) broke down and stopped Jessie Vargas (29-4-2, 11 KOs) in ten rounds. (photos by Ed Mulholland)
    [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    Smith, Vargas Fight Photos Gallery - Madison Square Garden, New York City - In a crossroads junior middleweight bout between former world champions, Liam Smith (31-3-1, 18 KOs) broke down and stopped Jessie Vargas (29-4-2, 11 KOs) in ten rounds. (photos by Ed Mulholland)
    [Click Here To Read More]
    ———-
    This is now being celebrated as a “great” win in the UK. A “great” win over a past his prime Vargas.
    When Benn fights and beats Guerrero or Broner, just go read their newspapers and see how Benn gets announced the 2nd coming of Floyd.
    It’s incredible to see how the Brits put past their prime irrelevant American boxers on pedestals before and after beating them.
    Bollocks I tell ya

Comment

Originally posted by Oregonian View Post
      ———-
      This is now being celebrated as a “great” win in the UK. A “great” win over a past his prime Vargas.
      When Benn fights and beats Guerrero or Broner, just go read their newspapers and see how Benn gets announced the 2nd coming of Floyd.
      It’s incredible to see how the Brits put past their prime irrelevant American boxers on pedestals before and after beating them.
      Bollocks I tell ya
      Liam Smith is hardly prime either he's like 33 and was never really that good in the first place.
      Last edited by spazdarn; 05-01-2022, 04:21 PM.
      Oregonian Oregonian likes this.

Comment

All the yo mamas and yo old ladies didn't help Jessie one bit.

Comment

It's apparent that if there's not another bent decision in the up coming Charlo/Castano undisputed contest leading to a 3rd contest that Tim Tszyu's next in line for a World title shot, so my suggestion is that Beefy fight's British champion Troy Williamson for the British & vacant European (EBU) title's at stake + final eliminator status in what could be either a time bider or mistake next? At least it would give him the oppertunity to win a Lonsdale belt outright & give us a real barnstormer!....

Comment

Originally posted by Oregonian View Post
            ———-
            Bollocks I tell ya
            By who?

I don't think that fight has made many waves in the UK at all
            The media is raving about the Katie Taylor fight

​​​​​
            Oregonian Oregonian likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Higgs View Post
              It's apparent that if there's not another bent decision in the up coming Charlo/Castano undisputed contest leading to a 3rd contest that Tim Tszyu's next in line for a World title shot, so my suggestion is that Beefy fight's British champion Troy Williamson for the British & vacant European (EBU) title's at stake + final eliminator status in what could be either a time bider or mistake next? At least it would give him the oppertunity to win a Lonsdale belt outright & give us a real barnstormer!....
              You danced all around it. Invite tszyu to Terry Town and let Liam or Troy test him. Troy can box as good as any. I think, with a fan base in the UK, Tim could get a title shot in London easier than getting a champion in Oz.
              Mick Higgs Mick Higgs likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Corelone View Post

You danced all around it. Invite tszyu to Terry Town and let Liam or Troy test him. Troy can box as good as any. I think, with a fan base in the UK, Tim could get a title shot in London easier than getting a champion in Oz.
                Agreed & I've said it all along. I think Tim still holds the Commonwealth championship belt which he really should have defended against the likes of Beefy or Troy. There's also a few Canadian Welter's who could easily move up & give him good contests such as Crowley & Clayton. That belt once really ment something back in the day & with over 50 countries in the Commonwealth could & should still be treated with respect. Sadly there's just too many alphabet bauble's around!!...

Comment

I didn't know Tszyu was commonwealth champ. Yeah back in the day he would have knocked over a few good level Brits and then we would know that he was probably world level

I'd say it was endemic of the lack of activity of fighters these days but Tszyu is meant to be pretty active.

Beefy is a good example of a British fighter that hasnt skipped levels. He's faced down all his domestic rivals. Beat fringe world level fighters and had come up short against the very best. But yesterday watching it you knew that with his natural size and experience even a round into that and with how hard Vargas was working that Vargas would be drown eventually.

I dunno what that poster was saying above about Brits hyping the win. I've not seen it mentioned anywhere. From Beefy's perspective it backs up his win over Fowler and yeah he could win the British title outright. He's a good fighter who has had a good career. He's basically cleaned out domestically. Maybe he can get a good payday vs Tszyu

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
                    I didn't know Tszyu was commonwealth champ. Yeah back in the day he would have knocked over a few good level Brits and then we would know that he was probably world level

I'd say it was endemic of the lack of activity of fighters these days but Tszyu is meant to be pretty active.

Beefy is a good example of a British fighter that hasnt skipped levels. He's faced down all his domestic rivals. Beat fringe world level fighters and had come up short against the very best. But yesterday watching it you knew that with his natural size and experience even a round into that and with how hard Vargas was working that Vargas would be drown eventually.

I dunno what that poster was saying above about Brits hyping the win. I've not seen it mentioned anywhere. From Beefy's perspective it backs up his win over Fowler and yeah he could win the British title outright. He's a good fighter who has had a good career. He's basically cleaned out domestically. Maybe he can get a good payday vs Tszyu

If you analyse Liam Smith's career, there is no one fight where? I think he could of done better. I cannot recall him ever massively under performing.

Even in his loses, he has always pretty much left it all in the ring. Against Alvarez he was giving a respectable performance, he was really trying until the body punch.

I thought he was going to be blasted out much quicker against Alvarez etc.

Liam Smith has pretty much maximized his talent. I think 154 pounds suits him, because he is too big for 147 but not big enough for 160 pounds 'Especially these days with the day before weigh in's'

I have never really been a big fan of any of the Smiths, but wow they have achieved a lot.

Liam Smith out of all of them seemed to get the least hype, his style seems very basic but solid.

Comment

Working...
                    X