Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: BoxingScene.com's Television Pick of The Week - April 14

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: BoxingScene.com's Television Pick of The Week - April 14

Pick It: TBRB #1 Errol Spence vs. #3 Yordenis Ugas (Saturday, Showtime PPV, 9:00 PM EST) - 32-year old Errol Spence (27-0, 21 KO) has been known to make references to strap season. Already the WBC and IBF titlist, the 2012 US Olympian is returning from over a year out of the ring due to injury with an eye on one more strap. 35-year old Yordenis Ugas (27-4, 12 KO), a 2008 Olympic bronze medalist for Cuba and 2005 World amatuer champion, has the WBA belt and a four-fight win streak that includes retiring the great Manny Pacquiao.
    [Click Here To Read More]

It’s a stacked weekend for fights. Also looking forward to the Bellator card today.

Comment

Originally posted by VashDBasher View Post
      It’s a stacked weekend for fights. Also looking forward to the Bellator card today.
      I thought last weekend was stacked. This weekend isn't so stacked for me as I don't have UFC fight pass and won't be purchasing the Spence/Ugas PPV.

That leaves me Ruben Villa on YouTube if I decide to watch that and the DAZN card. That main event is milquetoast, as I don't see Van Heerden to be much of a challenge for young Benn. Luckily the undercard has Baumgardner showcasing her talents and attractive looks and we get the Billum-Smith/McCarthy rematch.

Are you getting the PPV? The Butaev/Stanionis fight will be fire but the rest of the undercard just doesn't move the needle for me. Alot of big names on the undercard but they are all facing faded or overmatched opponents.

Comment

Only thing with living out here, access to American PPVs is almost impossible. Is there an alternative that I'm unaware of? I'm always happy to pay for my boxing too but it seems showtime doesn't want my money

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post

I thought last weekend was stacked. This weekend isn't so stacked for me as I don't have UFC fight pass and won't be purchasing the Spence/Ugas PPV.

That leaves me Ruben Villa on YouTube if I decide to watch that and the DAZN card. That main event is milquetoast, as I don't see Van Heerden to be much of a challenge for young Benn. Luckily the undercard has Baumgardner showcasing her talents and attractive looks and we get the Billum-Smith/McCarthy rematch.

Are you getting the PPV? The Butaev/Stanionis fight will be fire but the rest of the undercard just doesn't move the needle for me. Alot of big names on the undercard but they are all facing faded or overmatched opponents.
          Agreed. Last weekend was even more stacked, but in terms of quantity, this weekend is even more stacked. I’ll be watching the Bellator fights on Showtime and streaming the Ruben Villa fighter right after. As for Saturday, the DAZN card is pretty good. I’m more excited for the undercard than the main event. Billium-Smith v. McCarthy should be good and it’s always fun watching Baumgardner in action. Butaev v. Stanionis will most likely steal the show. It’s guaranteed to be a bloody and bruising affair. I was mulling over the PPV event, and in the end I decided to buy it. Like you said, the main card has a lot of big names, but they’re over the hill that it’s almost easy to predict the outcome. Gamboa is just being used a stepping stone at this point in his career and I can say the same for Vargas. I honestly don’t want to see Vargas or Gamboa take a beating, but that’s the name of the game. Brandun Lee’s fight should be good too. I’m hoping that Ochoa comes in prepared for this one. He’s being trained by the Breadman so I’m sure they’ll be ready.
          PBR Streetgang PBR Streetgang likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Articulateboxin View Post
            Only thing with living out here, access to American PPVs is almost impossible. Is there an alternative that I'm unaware of? I'm always happy to pay for my boxing too but it seems showtime doesn't want my money
            What country do you live in?

Comment

Originally posted by VashDBasher View Post

Agreed. Last weekend was even more stacked, but in terms of quantity, this weekend is even more stacked. I’ll be watching the Bellator fights on Showtime and streaming the Ruben Villa fighter right after. As for Saturday, the DAZN card is pretty good. I’m more excited for the undercard than the main event. Billium-Smith v. McCarthy should be good and it’s always fun watching Baumgardner in action. Butaev v. Stanionis will most likely steal the show. It’s guaranteed to be a bloody and bruising affair. I was mulling over the PPV event, and in the end I decided to buy it. Like you said, the main card has a lot of big names, but they’re over the hill that it’s almost easy to predict the outcome. Gamboa is just being used a stepping stone at this point in his career and I can say the same for Vargas. I honestly don’t want to see Vargas or Gamboa take a beating, but that’s the name of the game. Brandun Lee’s fight should be good too. I’m hoping that Ochoa comes in prepared for this one. He’s being trained by the Breadman so I’m sure they’ll be ready.
              Good stuff and post. I like CBS and I thought he'd blast out McCarthy (who I find likeable but a bit fragile). Instead it was a close-run thing and Billum-Smith showed some flaws. I still favor CBS in the rematch.

I think Butaev stops Stanionis after being tested early but I have no real confidence in that prediction.

Big fan of Lee, I think he'll be too much for Ochoa.

You've almost talked me into getting this damn PPV! Haha.
              VashDBasher VashDBasher likes this.

Comment

Good stuff and post. I like CBS and I thought he'd blast out McCarthy (who I find likeable but a bit fragile). Instead it was a close-run thing and Billum-Smith showed some flaws. I still favor CBS in the rematch.

I think Butaev stops Stanionis after being tested early but I have no real confidence in that prediction.

Big fan of Lee, I think he'll be too much for Ochoa.

You've almost talked me into getting this damn PPV! Haha.
                McCarthy is such a mellow and hard working guy. I would like for him to pull off the W, especially after witnessing how CBS disrespected him at their weigh-in. McCarthy didn’t deserve to be treated like that. I believe that Butaev will face adversity in the early rounds, but his work rate and body attack will eventually prove to be too much for Stanionis. I really don’t blame you for holding out on purchasing the event. There’re too many fights to keep up with and the prices are only getting higher. They usually upload the replays after a few months anyway. Cheers and have a good weekend.

Comment

Butaev-Stanionis is listed on regular SHO, not the ppv…

https://www.sho.com/sports/fights/52...v-vs-stanionis
                  PBR Streetgang PBR Streetgang likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post

Butaev-Stanionis is listed on regular SHO, not the ppv…

https://www.sho.com/sports/fights/52...v-vs-stanionis
                    Damn, had no idea. Thank you for pointing this out! That's the one fight I wanted to see on this PPV. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X