No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: 'A Gentlemen's Sport' - Conor Benn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: 'A Gentlemen's Sport' - Conor Benn

By Tris Dixon - Conor Benn is riding the crest of a wave, but as he takes a moment during the build-up to next week's fight against South African Chris Van Heerden the bravado slips and the fighting talk dims. Instead, the 25-year-old husband, father and son of a British boxing icon gets very real. There are no soundbites about training hard,
    [Click Here To Read More]

Nobody cares about this guy until he fights someone in the Top 10.

Comment

There you have it, people. On the one hand, respect to Benn for saying straight that health and family are the top priorities.

On the other, he’s made it clear that he’s fully bought into “prize fighting” as a concept, in that he’s trying to get out of the game with as much cash and as little damage as possible.

In summary, don’t expect to take any risks in matchmaking ANY time soon.

Comment

I really think he should have gone for English, British, Commonwealth & European (EBU) title's by now.

Comment

Good article Tris - thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MinuteMaid5
            Great article wish him the best of luck on his journey
            Yes, good article and good words from Benn.
            MinuteMaid5 MinuteMaid5 likes this.

Comment

Seems to take more risks than average who in the welterweights have you got taking more? .. and I'll compare there boxrec .. Ortiz was probably my best bet though the Avanesyan fans see to claim he ducked him .. of course, Ava is top of the Bill against guys 181 ranked in the world so he can talk. Ennis seems to have done little to nothing if compared fight by fight up to the same point in career with Benn, a really protected carear and only seems to have come out now very late.

Spence is fighting Ugas but seems to be running a mile from Crawford . Crawford then?

Originally posted by P to the J View Post
              There you have it, people. On the one hand, respect to Benn for saying straight that health and family are the top priorities.

On the other, he’s made it clear that he’s fully bought into “prize fighting” as a concept, in that he’s trying to get out of the game with as much cash and as little damage as possible.

In summary, don’t expect to take any risks in matchmaking ANY time soon.

Comment

He went for the British Frank blocked it, most top Welterweights are American and couldn't care less about those titles for selling a fight.

Originally posted by Mick Higgs View Post
                I really think he should have gone for English, British, Commonwealth & European (EBU) title's by now.

Comment

manufactured hype job. i really wanted to like him as a fan of his dad, but lets be honest, yes he has improved from when he was getting battered by french binmen, but he still get's splattered by anyone who isnt a carefully hand picked uncle eddie opponent.
                  1hourRun 1hourRun likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by DougalDylan View Post
                    Seems to take more risks than average who in the welterweights have you got taking more? .. and I'll compare there boxrec .. Ortiz was probably my best bet though the Avanesyan fans see to claim he ducked him .. of course, Ava is top of the Bill against guys 181 ranked in the world so he can talk. Ennis seems to have done little to nothing if compared fight by fight up to the same point in career with Benn, a really protected carear and only seems to have come out now very late.

Spence is fighting Ugas but seems to be running a mile from Crawford . Crawford then?

I take your point, but I actually like Benn a lot, and want to see him succeed, but I want to see him get in top contests because I’m a viewer first and foremost. What he’s telling me is not to get my hopes up.

I’m not as bothered by those other guys, as talented as they are. If they want to get in decent fights, (tbf, Igas-Spence is and I’ll be watching) or even just fight more than once every 15 months, then I’m all in, but they’ve proved to be a waste of time like most of the contemporary division.

Comment

Working...
                    X