Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Dave Allen Looks To Extend Win Streak at Newcastle's Hilton Hotel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Dave Allen Looks To Extend Win Streak at Newcastle's Hilton Hotel

Dave Allen is a popular fighter in the UK. Endearingly honest, extremely tough and a decent fighter to boot. The 29-year-old has lost just five times in 26, and those defeats have all been against top heavyweights like Luis Ortiz, Dillian Whyte and David Price.
    [Click Here To Read More]

dave allen should retire. he is nothing but a punching bag for fring contenders. he has taken too much punishment already.
    Boxingmean Boxingmean likes this.

Comment

‘All those defeats have been against top heavyweights like […] David Price.’

David Price has never been a top heavyweight.

And lenroy thomas is not a top heavyweight, which is probably why he’s conveniently left out of this list
      Jack_sh*t Jack_sh*t likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by P to the J View Post
        ‘All those defeats have been against top heavyweights like […] David Price.’

David Price has never been a top heavyweight.

And lenroy thomas is not a top heavyweight, which is probably why he’s conveniently left out of this list
        Price may not have fulfilled his early promise (and lost pretty badly several times) and you have to take the selling of it with a grain of salt but there was a time when Price was absolutely a "top heavyweight." No one said he was Lennox Lewis but he was British and Commonwealth champion, and he's an Olympic bronze medalist, He also won gold medals at the Commonwealth Games and the EU Championships and 3 ABA titles. Yes I had to look some of that stuff up but there was a time when he was huge name and huge prospect. Again he obviously didn't fulfil all that promise but I hate how quick all the keyboard warriors are to **** on everyone.

And Dave Allen, on like 3 weeks notice, took Dillian Whyte the distance. Sometimes these lower level fights are much better and more entertaining than some championship fights. It's his life and if it's what he loves to do let the man fight and earn some money.

Comment

Originally posted by sidefx996 View Post

Price may not have fulfilled his early promise (and lost pretty badly several times) and you have to take the selling of it with a grain of salt but there was a time when Price was absolutely a "top heavyweight." No one said he was Lennox Lewis but he was British and Commonwealth champion, and he's an Olympic bronze medalist, He also won gold medals at the Commonwealth Games and the EU Championships and 3 ABA titles. Yes I had to look some of that stuff up but there was a time when he was huge name and huge prospect. Again he obviously didn't fulfil all that promise but I hate how quick all the keyboard warriors are to **** on everyone.

And Dave Allen, on like 3 weeks notice, took Dillian Whyte the distance. Sometimes these lower level fights are much better and more entertaining than some championship fights. It's his life and if it's what he loves to do let the man fight and earn some money.
          David Price & Hughie Fury are very similar in the way they were matched. 2 different types of fights but both went from beating domestic fighters to world level opponents. The difference is Hughie has a granite chin & would lose a wide UD. When Price stepped up he got smashed to bits. Neither guy had those fringe/gatekeeper fights to properly develop. Price never was the same after the Thompson fights. Hughie has taken a step back & now had 3 of those fringe/gatekeepers on his resume. He is ready for another step up. It comes down to the chins. Price turned out to be a poor man’s Oleg Maskaev. Good skill & big punch but no punch resistance. Allen is a domestic level fighter…
          P to the J P to the J likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
            David Price & Hughie Fury are very similar in the way they were matched. 2 different types of fights but both went from beating domestic fighters to world level opponents. The difference is Hughie has a granite chin & would lose a wide UD. When Price stepped up he got smashed to bits. Neither guy had those fringe/gatekeeper fights to properly develop. Price never was the same after the Thompson fights. Hughie has taken a step back & now had 3 of those fringe/gatekeepers on his resume. He is ready for another step up. It comes down to the chins. Price turned out to be a poor man’s Oleg Maskaev. Good skill & big punch but no punch resistance. Allen is a domestic level fighter…
            Sounds like a pretty accurate analysis. Guess we'll always wonder what could have been. Would've liked to see Price and Tyson Fury in the pros. Would've also liked to see Price get a full training camp when he fought Chisora. His chin aside, Price showed touches of great stuff from time to time but he always seemed to get so gassed. I've gone from playing up through college and semi-pro sports and always lifting weights in my younger years to more endurance training and weekend warrior triathlon stuff in my older years and I've always been bewildered when I see top level professional fighters getting gassed and wonder what in the hell some of them actually do for endurance training.

Comment

He is a likeable guy. I hope hes been smart with the money he got during that Matchroom phase.

Comment

Originally posted by sidefx996 View Post

I'm well aware Price had all the attributes of a class boxer and know about some of his achievements, and no, of course a schmuck like me would get pasted by him.

That's not my point. My point is that he's not a 'top heavyweight' in the kind of bracket the article was trying to place him in. Any version of Whyte or Ortiz, even wobbly Ortiz that got knocked down by Charles Martin, beats him, who were the others mentioned in the article.

Nothing actually against him. He's got talent, and I like him. I also like Dave Allen. But he doesn't have any talent.

But yes, live and let live. If he's enjoying himself, that's all that matters.

Comment

Working...
                X