No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wood-Conlan Was Everything We Love And Fear In Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Wood-Conlan Was Everything We Love And Fear In Boxing

By Corey Erdman - Before Saturday night's fight between Leigh Wood and Michael Conlan, trainer Ben Davison described Wood as "one of the best human beings (he'd) ever met." Watching how Wood comported himself during a nuanced, emotional situation at the end of the fight, one can understand how he arrived at that conclusion.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    DFM DFM likes this.

Fight was bonkers.

Comment

I think we can call last Saturday’s fight a classic
      It had every angle you can want in a fight
      Don’t mean chit that it was two unknown fighters
      Show that fight to anyone and even the casual fam will be blown away

Comment

What a bum fight, initial reactions by fans are exaggerated by shocking results. Michael Conlan was rendered unconscious and fell out of the ring, who cares?

I seen a un-competitive-one-sided beating : by the 5th round fans were BOOING because Leigh Wood would not fight back and Michael Conlan could not stop his hurt overmatched opponent ; finally about the 8th round Leigh Wood showed up to the fight but he was missing most of his punches but gaining some momentum as Conlan was tiring from all the pounding that he delivered in previous rounds. It was only until the 10th that Leigh Wood made some progress and Conlan's fate was sealed as he retreated to back-himself onto the ropes, a round later euro-bum Conlan was on the ground and the rest is history.

This fight reminded me of Carl Froch coming way behind on scores to score a knock-down and forcing a stoppage against Jermain Taylor in the 12th. Compare to Leigh Wood, Carl Froch is a master-boxer, that's how bad he ( Leighwho ) proved to be in his most meaningful win.

NOT FOTY for me.
        Last edited by 1hourRun; 03-14-2022, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Corey.

Helluvva fight!!! Backed wood to win championship rounds 10/11/12 @ 11/1. Thought it was out the window in the first round!!! Incredible drama.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post

What a bum fight, initial reactions by fans are exaggerated by shocking results. Michael Conlan was rendered unconscious and fell out of the ring, who cares?

I seen a un-competitive-one-sided beating : by the 5th round fans were BOOING because Leigh Wood would not fight back and Michael Conlan could not stop his hurt overmatched opponent ; finally about the 8th round Leigh Wood showed up to the fight but he was missing most of his punches but gaining some momentum as Conlan was tiring from all the pounding that he delivered in previous rounds. It was only until the 10th that Leigh Wood made some progress and Conlan's fate was sealed as he retreated to back-himself onto the ropes, a round later euro-bum Conlan was on the ground and the rest is history.

This fight reminded me of Carl Froch coming way behind on scores to score a knock-down and forcing a stoppage against Jermain Taylor in the 12th. Compare to Leigh Wood, Carl Froch is a master-boxer, that's how bad he ( Leighwho ) proved to be in his most meaningful win.

NOT FOTY for me.
            So what exactly is your definition of a good action fight? I watched the fight live and then rewatched it and to me it was a damn good scrap. Conlan jumped out of the gate and was up dramatically after 7 the Wood showed championship metal and dug deep to win the fight and keep his status no matter how meaningless it is to fans. It takes iron will and heart to do what those 2 did. If you were expecting a knockout by either guy even before the fight began your were dreaming. They averaged about 55% ko ratio before the opening bell.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post

NOT FOTY for me.

Lol. Excellent work.

Froch always makes me laugh. He’s got a chin as tough as one of those statues on Easter Island, but unfortunately, all the head movement of one too.
              Last edited by P to the J; 03-14-2022, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Get em up View Post

So what exactly is your definition of a good action fight? I watched the fight live and then rewatched it and to me it was a damn good scrap. Conlan jumped out of the gate and was up dramatically after 7 the Wood showed championship metal and dug deep to win the fight and keep his status no matter how meaningless it is to fans. It takes iron will and heart to do what those 2 did. If you were expecting a knockout by either guy even before the fight began your were dreaming. They averaged about 55% ko ratio before the opening bell.
                You know something, I was surprised that everyone said this fight was as good as it was. I suppose it’s because I watched with the volume down.

But the actual technical quality of Wood’s fight was missing for rounds; Conlan made him look daft… until Conlan started to get tired, then HIS technical quality disappeared with his constant arm locking of Wood and mutual holding which, in turn, made the contest too scrappy.

I suppose the designation is FIGHT of the Year, not most technically perfect boxing of the year, so it’ll probably still win that - perhaps the ending deserves it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by P to the J View Post

You know something, I was surprised that everyone said this fight was as good as it was. I suppose it’s because I watched with the volume down.

But the actual technical quality of Wood’s fight was missing for rounds; Conlan made him look daft… until Conlan started to get tired, then HIS technical quality disappeared with his constant arm locking of Wood and mutual holding which, in turn, made the contest too scrappy.

I suppose the designation is FIGHT of the Year, not most technically perfect boxing of the year, so it’ll probably still win that - perhaps the ending deserves it alone.
                  I agree it was an ugly fight but that's what it was a FIGHT there was very little if any boxing and that's what made it compelling I guess. Both guys were equal in several ways one started strong and faded down the stretch and got off to a slow start and dug deep to come back.
                  P to the J P to the J likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Get em up View Post

Like I said I watched a miss-match, a one-sided schooling and whooping from round 1. Without the theatrics by goof-ball Michael Conland in the final round, nobody would be calling this FOTY. Had Michael Conlan fallen inside the ring fans would be a little more rational and judge this fight by the overall performance and not the ridiculous spectacle.

Originally posted by P to the J View Post

I would not be surprise that the boxing 'experts' pick this joke as FOTY. I expect Amanda Serrano vs. Katie Taylor : Jermell Charlo vs. Brian Castano II, and Masamichi Yabuki vs. Kenshiro Teraji II. to do just as good as the first ones, its still very early in 2022.

Like I said this mismatch Michael Conland vs. Leigh Wood, is not even up for my consideration as Fight of The Year.

Comment

Working...
                    X