Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Photos: Frazer Clarke Makes Pro Debut With First Round Stoppage Win

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Photos: Frazer Clarke Makes Pro Debut With First Round Stoppage Win

Frazer Clarke Pro Debut Photos Gallery - Earlier in the undercard action, 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Team GB captain Frazer Clarke (1-0, 1 KOs) marked his debut in the professional game with an emphatic technical stoppage over Jake Darnell (0-1). Darnell's corner threw in the towel in the first round after a barrage of vicious attacks from Clarke. (photos by Lawrence Lustig)
    [Click Here To Read More]

Another over 30 HW making his debut… Too little too late in my opinion. Times have changed as I think of how many HWs in & before the 90s had 30-40 fights by 32. Most were on the steep decline & shop worn. Lennox was done at 38. So many starting around 30 or older now. He should be fighting once a month on any card available. He should have 10 fights this year…
    Last edited by joe strong; 02-20-2022, 06:40 AM.
    Honest Honest likes this.

Comment

Agree 32 seems late to start for a British fighter
      Honest Honest likes this.

Comment

Since Audley Harrison had success in the Olympics, there's been a bigger appreciation for top UK heavyweights to try to win the gold. Joshua followed by Joyce followed by Clarke, is keeping the trend going. Turning pro later, after Amateur success seems to be fashion for now. Probably also inspired by a lack of US talent at the weight. The US always had the gold medal winner. Now that they don't, the other nations are trying to capitalize.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodtang View Post
          Since Audley Harrison had success in the Olympics, there's been a bigger appreciation for top UK heavyweights to try to win the gold. Joshua followed by Joyce followed by Clarke, is keeping the trend going. Turning pro later, after Amateur success seems to be fashion for now. Probably also inspired by a lack of US talent at the weight. The US always had the gold medal winner. Now that they don't, the other nations are trying to capitalize.
          I think Olympic Medals especially a Gold Medal 'Olympic Titles'.

Overall are more prestige's and pound for pound greater achievements than winning a professional title.

Technically they are more difficult to win, the competition is more pure.

Audley Harrison's Olympic Title is worth more than the belt he was fighting David Haye for etc

The Olympic Title has more intrinsic value.

Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 02-20-2022, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post

I think Olympic Medals especially a Gold Medal 'Olympic Titles'.

Overall are more prestige's and pound for pound greater achievements than winning a professional title.

Technically they are more difficult to win, the competition is more pure.

Audley Harrison's Olympic Title is worth more than the belt he was fighting David Haye for etc

The Olympic Title has more intrinsic value.
            I'd have to disagree with you. Yeah, pure competition I agree with, but it's limited to short fights and is much more regulated. Even in its present form which has gotten better and more towards the pro game, it's still not prizefighting at its most. Today's pro game is tarnished by agendas and safe options, and governing bodies and promoters who are greedy, and think more of themselves than the fighters. But you still can't beat a proper 12 round championship, high quality fight imo. Taylor vs Ramirez is just a recent example of what true boxing excitement is all about.

Comment

Tbh, this was a joke. With such opponents Clarke won't go very far in the professionals. Technically, it was the bouncer beating a bully fatso in a pub in countryside. I almost forgot that Joshua is his manager))))))))))that explains all
              BustedKnuckles BustedKnuckles likes this.

Comment

I'd have to disagree with you. Yeah, pure competition I agree with, but it's limited to short fights and is much more regulated. Even in its present form which has gotten better and more towards the pro game, it's still not prizefighting at its most. Today's pro game is tarnished by agendas and safe options, and governing bodies and promoters who are greedy, and think more of themselves than the fighters. But you still can't beat a proper 12 round championship, high quality fight imo. Taylor vs Ramirez is just a recent example of what true boxing excitement is all about.
                In a sporting context, maybe even historical. A Olympic title has more intrinsic value, more prestige than a professional boxing title.

The Olympic's is a bigger stage.

The professional game is about business, it is not about pure competition.

I prefer the professional side of the sport, but understand for athletes? The Olympic's is the most raw form of competition. Everyone is doing it with the same goal? To be the best 'That is not the case in the professional ranks'.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post

In a sporting context, maybe even historical. A Olympic title has more intrinsic value, more prestige than a professional boxing title.

The Olympic's is a bigger stage.

The professional game is about business, it is not about pure competition.

I prefer the professional side of the sport, but understand for athletes? The Olympic's is the most raw form of competition. Everyone is doing it with the same goal? To be the best 'That is not the case in the professional ranks'.

You make some good points. But I've never gotten excited about amateur boxing. I get its value in the process, but it's all leading towards the pro game at the end of the day. It's not the fighters who spoil pro boxing, it's the powers that be, unfortunately. The pro game has that genuine needle between 2 top fighters that are rivals needing to sort out a dispute, and who's the top guy. Brook, Khan case in point. Amateur fighters just fight whoever their drawn against, then on to the next round. It's just competition. Pro boxing in a proper coveted needle match is so much more.

Comment

You make some good points. But I've never gotten excited about amateur boxing. I get its value in the process, but it's all leading towards the pro game at the end of the day. It's not the fighters who spoil pro boxing, it's the powers that be, unfortunately. The pro game has that genuine needle between 2 top fighters that are rivals needing to sort out a dispute, and who's the top guy. Brook, Khan case in point. Amateur fighters just fight whoever their drawn against, then on to the next round. It's just competition. Pro boxing in a proper coveted needle match is so much more.
                    I prefer the professional game. But the facts are? Not every fighter is doing it to be their absolute best. Not every fighter shares the same goals. Just like in society, people are in jobs maybe they really don't want to do, or they just do enough. In the amateurs every single fighter wants to be the best, they all have the same goal to reach the pinnacle which is the Olympics 'And the competition is pure, due to it technically not being Prize fighting' This is why pound for pound in terms of competition, the Olympic Title has more intrinsic value than any title in the professional game. Some of these belts may not exist in 50-100 years time, but the Olympic's will in some form etc

Is Keith Thurman really in the game now to be his absolute best? Really? 100%? I doubt it. What is Adrien Broner doing? What about Derek Chisora, well he has even come out and admitted that he is not in the game to be the best etc

Olympic Titles are more prestigious than professional belts. I am not saying they are more exciting, but when it comes to competition 'They have more intrinsic value'.

Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 02-20-2022, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X