Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Keith Thurman, Spence-Ugas, Pac-Loma, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Keith Thurman, Spence-Ugas, Pac-Loma, More

The Daily Bread Mailbag returns with Stephen "Breadman" Edwards tackling topics such as the International Boxing Hall of Fame, Mark Magsayo beating Gary Russell Jr, the return of Keith Thurman with his win over Mario Barrios, thoughts on Artur Beterbiev, Roy Jones Jr, Manny Pacquiao vs. Vasiliy Lomachenko,
    [Click Here To Read More]

Thurman looked great against a "made to order" guy. That was a showcase fight. Of course Thurman looked great. How he does vs a real threat remains to be seen. He could fight Crawford next, but is already talking like an investment banker. Forecast real cloudy. He's going to wait for the Spence vs Ugas winner.

Comment

Originally posted by wrecksracer View Post
      Thurman looked great against a "made to order" guy. That was a showcase fight. Of course Thurman looked great. How he does vs a real threat remains to be seen. He could fight Crawford next, but is already talking like an investment banker. Forecast real cloudy. He's going to wait for the Spence vs Ugas winner.
      he looked better vs Josesito, but Josesito is also better than Barrios in just about every way, including having a punch.
      Rec28 Rec28 likes this.

Comment

Every mailbag consists of the same fantasy fight match ups all the time.

Comment

a LOT of you halfwits need to read this...

just saying

Bread’s Response:
          I don’t have a thought on your specific question because that’s not how a fight is supposed to be scored. You can’t compare two fights with similar punch stats because a fight isn’t judged on punch stats and judges don’t know what the punch stats are. The punch stats may be an indicator of what happened but it isn’t the determining factor. A fight is scored on Clean Punching, Effective Aggressiveness, Defense and Ring Generalship. The only one that needs explanation is Ring Generalship, which means who is dictating the fight. Who’s controlling the action. I think Manny beat Jeff Horne. But Horne mauled and dirty boxed Manny at times which made him feel uncomfortable. Ring Generalship. Maybe the judges thought Horne was fighting his fight, more than Manny was fighting his. I don’t know……..Try your best to not judge a fight, by looking at another fight. Judge a fight by the 4 criterion I gave you. Along with saying to yourself, who would I rather be in “that round.” “THAT ROUND” is the most important thing you can say to yourself because fights are judged on individual rounds. Not a carry over effect.

I think Manny Pacquiao’s losses to Tim Bradley and Jeff Horne are considered BIGGER robberies than they may be because Manny won his rounds by a bigger margin and was more dynamic than they won theirs. So people judge a fight as if it’s one big 36 minute contest and it isn’t. It’s also not a street fight where if you beat the guy up worse than he beat you up, you won. It’s not like that. It’s individual rounds. So often times the average fan does not realize this and he gives more credit to the fighter who wins his rounds by a bigger margin. Unless it’s a 2 point round because one fighter was brutalized or knocked down, the round is just 10-9. This also interconnects to Punch Stats.

The total punch stats can be off if for example Fighter A lands 20 punches in 5 rounds and Fighter B only lands 8. Then in 7 rounds Fighter B lands 12 punches and Fighter A lands 11. Let’s say the judges gives Fighter B 7 rounds and Fighter A 5. The total punch stats will be Fighter A landing 177 punches and Fighter B landing 124. But Fighter B wins the fight. Don’t get me wrong that scenario is unlikely but it’s highly possible and it does happen. That’s why you have to be careful if punch stats are your determining factor because there should be no carry over effect in a fight. I hope I was able to help and explain that in layman’s terms.

Comment

excellent mailbag, as usual

billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

"How does a Champion belt holder lose his title twice , once for drugs , and for not making weight . It is a little uncanny , check the dates , on when Canelo won the titles."

It's not Canelo's fault that David Benavidez did cocaine and couldn't make weight.

It's also not his fault that Jermall Charlo beats up his family members. Just getting that in ahead of time, before someone says to "check the date" of when Canelo schedules his next fight.
              Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 02-13-2022, 01:05 AM.
              billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

I have a bit of a problem when "level playing field" and fair are used giving praise to Canelo, who was gifted a hometown draw vs. GGG, got busted for PED s before he was gifted a decision over GGG, putting the only 2 blemishes on GGG's record, then refusing to even consider giving him a rematch for years, allegedly because GGG had the audacity to call him on his cheating, then finally broaching the subject as GGG passes 40 years old. Then he gets gifted the P4P recognition. All I can say is Mayweather taught him well, and not just about boxing. What about his present glorified status has he earned in comparison to Golovkin who gets crucified for not KOing everyone he fights and having some close decisions when he's past his peak, while Canelo had some pretty questionable decisions when he was in his PRIME. Fairness and level playing fields are nowhere in sight. It's a case of PR creating and maintaining their cash cow. SRL is the earliest example of this I can remember, although the same mindset was in play toward the end of Ali's era. It wasn't enough to tarnish the dazzling greatness of young Clay/Ali though.
                buge buge likes this.

Comment

Thurman's microphone skills is better than his boxing skills. Get him back in his commentary job. Otherwise, Bud, Spence and Ugas will eat him.
                  Last edited by Silence; 02-13-2022, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by topo5358 View Post
                    I have a bit of a problem when "level playing field" and fair are used giving praise to Canelo, who was gifted a hometown draw vs. GGG, got busted for PED s before he was gifted a decision over GGG, putting the only 2 blemishes on GGG's record, then refusing to even consider giving him a rematch for years, allegedly because GGG had the audacity to call him on his cheating, then finally broaching the subject as GGG passes 40 years old. Then he gets gifted the P4P recognition. All I can say is Mayweather taught him well, and not just about boxing. What about his present glorified status has he earned in comparison to Golovkin who gets crucified for not KOing everyone he fights and having some close decisions when he's past his peak, while Canelo had some pretty questionable decisions when he was in his PRIME. Fairness and level playing fields are nowhere in sight. It's a case of PR creating and maintaining their cash cow. SRL is the earliest example of this I can remember, although the same mindset was in play toward the end of Ali's era. It wasn't enough to tarnish the dazzling greatness of young Clay/Ali though.
                    Man I can almost picture you CRYING while you typed this nonsense...

Comment

Working...
                    X