Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jaron Ennis Promoter Reflects on Fighter's Bright, if Uncertain, Future and the Politics of Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Jaron Ennis Promoter Reflects on Fighter's Bright, if Uncertain, Future and the Politics of Boxing

By Sean Nam - Cameron Dunkin is not about to fret about the things in his life that are out of his control. That includes matters like the climate, the price of gas, and certain questions about Jaron Ennis' future. The last item might seem contradictory. Dunkin is Ennis' promoter, after all, and a promoter, a competent one at least, is typically obsessed with his fighter's prospects.
    [Click Here To Read More]

"The networks have chosen to buy the promoter, not the fighters, that’s the truth."

And in a nutshell that's the problem with boxing. The networks should be paying for the best fights, not making exclusive deals with promoters who will then just use the platform to put on endless in-house matchups.

Jaron Ennis is the highest ranked welterweight in the IBF ratings. He doesn't have to enter into a deal with any promoter, he just has to be patient and keep winning and force the mando to be called.

Comment

Boots is a seasoned fighter, not just the competition level, but number of fights. He hasn't been rushed, seen different styles, honed his tools in the ring. Ortiz gets hit too much, hurt, wobbled and Benn is still fighting geezers, both are short on experience. They can prey on gater bait for a while. Ellis is ready to take names.

Comment

And this is the difference between boots and the other welterweight prospects….he can’t get fights. The others choose to take softer touches. I understand the networks, they are in business to make profit off investments. They are not in the business of losing money so I understand it even though as a fan it’s frustrating. Having said that, reality is well…real. And I’m the real world boots should enter into an advisory deal with Haymon and get what he can, either that or simply wait to be mandatory and get a belt but if he never aligns with a network he will have that one belt and no more u til he becomes the big money fighter and that may take a while and that also involves both a major promotional push behind him as well as the networks to do it on.
        isagj isagj likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Corelone View Post
          Boots is a seasoned fighter, not just the competition level, but number of fights. He hasn't been rushed, seen different styles, honed his tools in the ring. Ortiz gets hit too much, hurt, wobbled and Benn is still fighting geezers, both are short on experience. They can prey on gater bait for a while. Ellis is ready to take names.
          Great that you recognized Ennis hasn't been rushed and your praising that. And yet in the same comment your contradicting that fantastic strategy, with your comments on Ortiz and Benn. I agree. Ortiz does get hit too much. So afford him the same sentiments of not been rushed, as clearly he needs defensive improvements. And Benn is behind those guys, it's clear for all to see. But afford him the same sentiments of not being rushed as he's in a process of trying to hone his tools in the ring just like Ennis has. No need for double standards. Ennis is a great talent and will take some beating.
          Victor valdez Victor valdez likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
            And this is the difference between boots and the other welterweight prospects….he can’t get fights. The others choose to take softer touches. I understand the networks, they are in business to make profit off investments. They are not in the business of losing money so I understand it even though as a fan it’s frustrating. Having said that, reality is well…real. And I’m the real world boots should enter into an advisory deal with Haymon and get what he can, either that or simply wait to be mandatory and get a belt but if he never aligns with a network he will have that one belt and no more u til he becomes the big money fighter and that may take a while and that also involves both a major promotional push behind him as well as the networks to do it on.
            You make some good points, and I'm willing to overlook the sly dig your having at certain fighters about soft touches. Fighters are in different stages of their careers with different skillsets to work on and will fight the appropriate levels when their ability merits it. Ennis should go to PBC. Just as Crawford should. That's where the best fights will be. Even if I can't agree with their philosophies, they hold the powerbase in that division, and for a fighter to further their career, that's the best place for them. Ennis may get a shot through mandatory means, but after that his career goes like Crawford's, unless he signs with Haymon. So Ennis and Crawford clearly need to go there for the big fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Corelone View Post
              How many fights you seen Ortiz hurt/wobbled?
              4truth 4truth Castilo Castilo like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodtang View Post

You make some good points, and I'm willing to overlook the sly dig your having at certain fighters about soft touches. Fighters are in different stages of their careers with different skillsets to work on and will fight the appropriate levels when their ability merits it. Ennis should go to PBC. Just as Crawford should. That's where the best fights will be. Even if I can't agree with their philosophies, they hold the powerbase in that division, and for a fighter to further their career, that's the best place for them. Ennis may get a shot through mandatory means, but after that his career goes like Crawford's, unless he signs with Haymon. So Ennis and Crawford clearly need to go there for the big fights.
                I don’t think he NEEDS to sign with Haymon I just think his career does better for it. You are right, without a major promoter his career will always be in cruise control and will never get the big fights. Regarding other fighters, Ben for instance believes he is ready for championship calibre now, yet feasts on has beens and never was’….now this is largely due to the rapacious desires of his promoter who wants to sell American subscriptions based on American fighters with names from a decade ago but that’s when junior needs to step in and say “you work for me, not vice versa.” That’s what the slave contract comments from Barry were about. Now Ennis, he is literally being frozen out. He would fight any of the champions right now he has just made the mistake of aligning himself with a minor league promoter who isn’t invested in by the networks. And regarding that promoter, he needs to be honest, the networks have always been in bed with certain promoters….the ones who can promote shows that put asses in seats and eyes on screens
                Last edited by Oldskoolg; 02-09-2022, 06:22 AM.
                mgame mgame likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  "The networks have chosen to buy the promoter, not the fighters, that’s the truth."

And in a nutshell that's the problem with boxing. The networks should be paying for the best fights, not making exclusive deals with promoters who will then just use the platform to put on endless in-house matchups.
                  The guys that run the networks are, or should be, reasonably intelligent businessmen, so I don't know why they can't see this? !

The networks would get better fights which would bring more viewers; the promoters would be forced to make better fights to get the network $$.

So why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post

I don’t think he NEEDS to sign with Haymon I just think his career does better for it. You are right, without a major promoter his career will always be in cruise control and will never get the big fights. Regarding other fighters, Ben for instance believes he is ready for championship calibre now, yet feasts on has beens and never was’….now this is largely due to the rapacious desires of his promoter who wants to sell American subscriptions based on American fighters with names from a decade ago but that’s when junior needs to step in and say “you work for me, not vice versa.” That’s what the slave contract comments from Barry were about. Now Ennis, he is literally being frozen out. He would fight any of the champions right now he has just made the mistake of aligning himself with a minor league promoter who isn’t invested in by the networks. And regarding that promoter, he needs to be honest, the networks have always been in bed with certain promoters….the ones who can promote shows that put asses in seats and eyes on screens
                    I like Ennis, a fantastic fighter. But be honest. Was he asking for the names he is now 8 fights ago. And if so why didn't he get them. He's had to learn his trade and that's what Benn is doing. Yes Benn would unleash himself right now, but that's ego, which all fighters have, so it shouldn't be a criticism. His people are trying to move him correctly. Tony Simms his trainer to prepare him for the big challenges, and Hearn to promote him to increase his commercial potential. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, as he has plenty time on his side. And that's exactly what Ennis and his people are doing, so more power to them. Benns criticism is way over the top. I have to disagree with you about Ennis not going to Haymon. Because he will not get a shot at one of his titles unless he signs there. That's why he has to go the IBF mandatory route. But after that he'll be stuck with that one belt until he signs with Haymon. I really wish it were different, but it's not unfortunately.
                    Apollo7 Apollo7 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X