Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Okolie: When I Go To Heavyweight, I Want The Best Fights From The Start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Okolie: When I Go To Heavyweight, I Want The Best Fights From The Start

Lawrence Okolie will make the second defence of his WBO cruiserweight belt against former world title challenger Michal Cieslak at The O2 in London on Sunday February 27, shown live worldwide on DAZN (excluding New Zealand and Australia).
    [Click Here To Read More]

I like the attitude ,the only problem is Hearns idea of the 'best fights' will be the safe ones

Comment

He should stay at CW

Comment

Okolie had a title at 16 fights, his next opponent is top 10 ring/boxrec.

AJ from his 15th fight AJ went Whyte, Martin, Brezeale, Molina, Klitschsko compare that to say Wilder fighting guys who lost their last 6 fights 23 fights in.

So which promoter is pushing safe fights ?, list them here and I'll compare their early records at the same period ...

There are some fighters with other promoters doing better but it's not many Josh Taylor (he's probably the gold standard) for instance Virigl Ortiz's record looks good (though he doesn't have a title yet).

Originally posted by thack View Post
        I like the attitude ,the only problem is Hearns idea of the 'best fights' will be the safe ones

Comment

Originally posted by DougalDylan View Post

AJ from his 15th fight AJ went Whyte, Martin, Brezeale, Molina, Klitschsko compare that to say Wilder fighting guys who lost their last 6 fights 23 fights in.

So which promoter is pushing safe fights ?, list them here and I'll compare their early records at the same period ...

There are some fighters with other promoters doing better but it's not many Josh Taylor (he's probably the gold standard) for instance Virigl Ortiz's record looks good (though he doesn't have a title yet).
          Tbf, i hadn’t considered this before, but those guys you’ve mentioned have been moved at speeds that only the likes of Loma and that “flyweight” (I’m not hardcore enough to remember his name or weight class) can better, but without anything like the amateur records.

This is a good thing. Throw them in with the sharks, better viewing.

Having said this, I assume there’s a commercial reason for these quick fire title fights, as there is for other boxers being moved glacially, so I’m reluctant to start singing praises, yet. I mean, getting hold of a title from a more attainable source, e.g., a vacant belt or a substandard opponent, strikes me as a bit of a modus operandi.

Comment

Not even 3 posts in and here we are comparing pecker sizes of fighters and promoters…PROMOTERS! Boxing “fans” are the only fans in all sporting events that makes promoters and promotional outfits a constant topic of conversation instead of BOXERS. I’ll stand by it, boxing fans are some of the absolute most ignorant of any sport; period. No wonder it’s a dying sport and other fans of their favorite sport laugh at us on end. Hell, I would too!

Hey, that damned Jerry Jones, I swear! That damned Mark Cuban, always getting in the way. Sound like window licking comments? Yup…Now, let’s keep talking about them promoters shall we?
            Slowhand Slowhand likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by P to the J View Post

Tbf, i hadn’t considered this before, but those guys you’ve mentioned have been moved at speeds that only the likes of Loma and that “flyweight” (I’m not hardcore enough to remember his name or weight class) can better, but without anything like the amateur records.

This is a good thing. Throw them in with the sharks, better viewing.

Having said this, I assume there’s a commercial reason for these quick fire title fights, as there is for other boxers being moved glacially, so I’m reluctant to start singing praises, yet. I mean, getting hold of a title from a more attainable source, e.g., a vacant belt or a substandard opponent, strikes me as a bit of a modus operandi.
              Correct, he won a VACANT title against a fighter fighting for the vacant title coming off a KO loss. How he was even up for a vacant title is beyond comprehension. Has defended against what was an undefeated fighter whose last win was against a guy whose last fight was against a guy whose record was 7-29 and he was then KOd by his next opponent. His next defense is against possibly a legit opponent but even that opponent is too green to know.

Bottom line, ranking organizations hand out trinkets to those that will pay their bills. Oppositional talent comes secondary.
              Last edited by Boxingfanatic75; 01-27-2022, 05:54 AM.
              P to the J P to the J likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by DougalDylan View Post

Yeah, it's weird how some don't want to mention the fighter, but rather have a go at the promoter who consumes their thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingfanatic75 View Post
                  Not even 3 posts in and here we are comparing pecker sizes of fighters and promoters…PROMOTERS! Boxing “fans” are the only fans in all sporting events that makes promoters and promotional outfits a constant topic of conversation instead of BOXERS. I’ll stand by it, boxing fans are some of the absolute most ignorant of any sport; period. No wonder it’s a dying sport and other fans of their favorite sport laugh at us on end. Hell, I would too!

Hey, that damned Jerry Jones, I swear! That damned Mark Cuban, always getting in the way. Sound like window licking comments? Yup…Now, let’s keep talking about them promoters shall we?
                  Always gotta laugh at those who rather than support their own favourites, seem happier trying to put down those they fear.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingfanatic75 View Post

Correct, he won a VACANT title against a fighter fighting for the vacant title coming off a KO loss. How he was even up for a vacant title is beyond comprehension. Has defended against what was an undefeated fighter whose last win was against a guy whose last fight was against a guy whose record was 7-29 and he was then KOd by his next opponent. His next defense is against possibly a legit opponent but even that opponent is too green to know.

Bottom line, ranking organizations hand out trinkets to those that will pay their bills. Oppositional talent comes secondary.

You've got me on the organizations. I don't see how boxing, which is badly in need of reform from grassroots upwards, can possibly improve while these kinds of guys operate a stranglehold.

Comment

Working...
                    X