No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hooker Offered Date With Benn In April, Hearn Reveals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hooker Offered Date With Benn In April, Hearn Reveals

Conor Benn is inching closer to landing an opponent for his next fight. After considering foes like Adrien Broner, Robert Guerrero, and David Avanesyan, Matchroom Boxing head Eddie Hearn is zeroing in on a former 140-pound champion to challenge his ascending welterweight.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Couldn't care less.

Fight Avanesyan or someone else in the Top 10.

Comment

Good fight for Benn's progression. Hooker may be on the downside of his career but he has some skills and power. He did well against Ramirez and he landed some pretty nice shots on Ortiz, ultimately he got lured into firefights and he came out on the short end of those. Hooker was at his best at 140 but he's outgrown the weight class.

I expect Benn to win and win by stoppage but he might take a few licks in the process. If he's not careful he might get hurt or dropped.

Comment

This article makes it look like he's saying give me Ennis and Ortiz. That's not what he said. What he said was you don't **** it up by asking for these guys too soon. And he includes Avanesyan in that bracket. And he's correct. Hearn openly admits that those 3 are still a level above. It's not a case that Benn is scared. He'd fight them now. But their trying to guide his career at the correct speed, and doing a good job. There's no shame in admitting your fighter is still a bit behind the others. Especially given a lesser amateur background. The reporting needs to be better and get the quotes right. Hooker is a good opponent at this stage. Benn right now, is roughly where Ortiz was before he fought Hooker, and it was considered a good fight for him. This is a good match up if it can be made.

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
          Good fight for Benn's progression. Hooker may be on the downside of his career but he has some skills and power. He did well against Ramirez and he landed some pretty nice shots on Ortiz, ultimately he got lured into firefights and he came out on the short end of those. Hooker was at his best at 140 but he's outgrown the weight class.

I expect Benn to win and win by stoppage but he might take a few licks in the process. If he's not careful he might get hurt or dropped.
          It's not so much Hooker being on the downside imo. He just came up against better fighters. But Hooker was very competitive in those fights, as he will be against Benn. Ramirez and Ortiz are top respected fighters. So this is a good fight to gauge where Benn is at in his progression.

Comment

Hearn is obviously very good at what he does but man does he talk out his arss. He is one dude I who I avoid reading his comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodtang View Post
              This article makes it look like he's saying give me Ennis and Ortiz. That's not what he said. What he said was you don't **** it up by asking for these guys too soon. And he includes Avanesyan in that bracket. And he's correct. Hearn openly admits that those 3 are still a level above. It's not a case that Benn is scared. He'd fight them now. But their trying to guide his career at the correct speed, and doing a good job. There's no shame in admitting your fighter is still a bit behind the others. Especially given a lesser amateur background. The reporting needs to be better and get the quotes right. Hooker is a good opponent at this stage. Benn right now, is roughly where Ortiz was before he fought Hooker, and it was considered a good fight for him. This is a good match up if it can be made.
              Thanks for clarifying the context.
              Rodtang Rodtang likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodtang View Post

It's not so much Hooker being on the downside imo. He just came up against better fighters. But Hooker was very competitive in those fights, as he will be against Benn. Ramirez and Ortiz are top respected fighters. So this is a good fight to gauge where Benn is at in his progression.
                I said he's on the downside because he's on the north side of 30 and he's most likely outgrown the weight class where he's most optimal. It's possible he can find success at Welterweight but I doubt it.

Despite that, Hooker is still a very good fighter and dangerous for for Benn. Definitely better than Guerrero or Broner IMO. It's not a bad matchup and a step in class from Granados and Algieri. I don't particularly Benn but I think they are developing him and matchmaking him well.

Comment

It's always big news when a hooker is offered a date
                  Smash Smash BodyBagz BodyBagz like this.

Comment

Originally posted by trippleupper View Post
                    It's always big news when a hooker is offered a date
                    nice

Comment

Working...
                    X