Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joe Smith: Hopefully, After The Johnson Fight, I Could Get Beterbiev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Joe Smith: Hopefully, After The Johnson Fight, I Could Get Beterbiev

WBO light heavyweight champion Joe Smith Jr. is hoping to make up for lost time in 2022. He captured his world title with a tough decision win over Maxim Vlasov earlier this year, but a planned October defense against Umar Salamov was derailed when Smith contracted COVID.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I'm not sure you beat Johnson TBH. Fighters in their return fight after Covid have been upset like crazy this year, and Johnson can crack.
    landotter landotter likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
      I'm not sure you beat Johnson TBH. Fighters in their return fight after Covid have been upset like crazy this year, and Johnson can crack.
      I heard Johnson looked really bad in his last fight though. Boxreccing it shows he got an MD vs some guy named Server who is an Uzbek-born Russian that fights out of Ukraine for whatever reason? The fight was in the UK too so I imagine he must have done very poorly to get a MD on home soil. This all means **** though since I actually have to watch the damn fight.
      PBR Streetgang PBR Streetgang likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManRumble View Post

I heard Johnson looked really bad in his last fight though. Boxreccing it shows he got an MD vs some guy named Server who is an Uzbek-born Russian that fights out of Ukraine for whatever reason? The fight was in the UK too so I imagine he must have done very poorly to get a MD on home soil. This all means **** though since I actually have to watch the damn fight.
        haha yeah, without seeing it it could have been a bad win, a robbery, etc. I tend not to trust official scorecards on fights I havent seen, because they're always **** on fights I have seen lol.

And again, the covid factor. Just off the top of my head, I think the only boxers to WIN their first fight after having covid are Beterbiev over Dienes and Herring over Oquendo and both of those fights are considered career worst showings among fans.

Comment

Lol maybe it's because all 3 countries de facto language is Russian and they go between countries for work the same way some Latin Americans do? Just a common sense guess who knows.

Comment

This is odd, thought I saw a report saying Joe team was avoiding the Beterbiev fight. Hope they all want it, Joe included

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

haha yeah, without seeing it it could have been a bad win, a robbery, etc. I tend not to trust official scorecards on fights I havent seen, because they're always **** on fights I have seen lol.

And again, the covid factor. Just off the top of my head, I think the only boxers to WIN their first fight after having covid are Beterbiev over Dienes and Herring over Oquendo and both of those fights are considered career worst showings among fans.
              Stephen Fulton also seemed entirely unaffected by covid in his fight with Leo after having covid. That was part of my logic for picking Leo in the first place and it backfired pretty hard. Figueroa and Vlasov also put pretty spirited efforts coming up a bit short while coming off covid. More people would argue in favour of Vlasov than Figs, but despite the fight not being the most aesthetically pleasing, he still gave Fulton his closest fight since Adam Lopez.

I can't really dig up more at the moment. Trying to keep things tight and relevant anyway.

Comment

Johnson has looked quite poor in his last few fights.

He’s actually a bit older than people think (coming up 37) and has been inactive over the past few years.

That said, he’s sharp at times and can really bang. He definitely shouldn’t be overlooked by Smith, especially seeing as I think Smith was lucky to get a decision in his last fight, I didn’t think he beat Vlasov.
                Last edited by deathofaclown; 12-24-2021, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kannabis Kid View Post
                  Lol maybe it's because all 3 countries de facto language is Russian and they go between countries for work the same way some Latin Americans do? Just a common sense guess who knows.
                  Well I know that, but I don't know what the market is like in that area so just curious why some Russians would fight strictly out of Ukraine or vice versa. I don't follow their politics either but I thought the 2 countries were in conflict with each other was also part of my thinking.

Comment

Interesting fight between Johnson and Smith. I don't think we will learn much in this fight, both can bang and both can look limited. My guess is whoever landed clean first probably wins. Exciting fight regardless.

Comment

Working...
                    X