Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum: Miguel Cotto Was One of The Best Fighters of Our Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Arum: Miguel Cotto Was One of The Best Fighters of Our Time

Top Rank's CEO, Bob Arum, promoted four division champion Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico for the bulk of his career - from point that he turned professional in 2000 until the moment they parted ways in 2011.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Yes indeed %.

Comment

Cotto was the real deal. One of my all time favorites. It's a real shame what Margacheato did to him , robbed him of his full potential.

Comment

That he was.

Comment

“Also, contrary to other fighters, particularly Puerto Rican boxers, his personal life was not one of partying.” That’s not entirely true. If you see Cotto’s interviews, he’s acknowledged that he used to party and drink too much during his career. I’ve personally witnessed him partying pretty heavy twice at a club in PR while I was on vacation. He had a great career but wonder what could’ve been without the car accident that badly injured his right arm, partying and Margarito’s loaded gloves.

Comment

Cotto didn't do a lot of the hyper trash talk, either. That's always a plus. I get tired of hearing guys guaranteeing they're going to kill the other guy, talking filth about the opponent's mother, and so on. Cotto had something the trash talkers don't have and can't understand: respect.

Comment

Cotto was a very good fighter. But I don't consider him a great. I like him at Jr Welter. Not Welter. He was just too small as a Welter at 5'7" and didn't have legit power. People talk about the 1st Margarito fight but the bottom line is he was getting hit from round 1 to the end. His defence was very porous. He lost all his big fights. Canelo, Mayweather , Margarito, Trout , Pacquiao. And he won the ones he's was supposed to. If thats the qualifications for getting into the Hall, then open the floodgates.

Comment

Originally posted by breeto80 View Post
                Cotto was a very good fighter. But I don't consider him a great. I like him at Jr Welter. Not Welter. He was just too small as a Welter at 5'7" and didn't have legit power. People talk about the 1st Margarito fight but the bottom line is he was getting hit from round 1 to the end. His defence was very porous. He lost all his big fights. Canelo, Mayweather , Margarito, Trout , Pacquiao. And he won the ones he's was supposed to. If thats the qualifications for getting into the Hall, then open the floodgates.
                you are right about cotto but I give him credit for taking the hardest fights. also he made a career out of losing. he got more popular after he lost fights
                gluvsup gluvsup likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by breeto80 View Post
                  You pretty much summed it up, Cotto was good but not great. His best win was Mosley, a fight that could have went either way

Comment

Originally posted by pnut901 View Post
                    Cotto was the real deal. One of my all time favorites. It's a real shame what Margacheato did to him , robbed him of his full potential.
                    Margarito did rob Cotto of his full potential, we will never know just how much better Cotto's career, and record would've been.
                    We can't calculate just how much damage those Paster of Paris punches caused his brain, or how much they slowed him down.
                    I don't think that Margarito would've won that fight, Cotto would've probably won by unanimous decision, and kept his undefeated record intact.
                    He would've also won some of the fight's that he lost there after, but this is pure speculation, because we will never know what would've
                    happened if Margarito wouldn't have cheated.
                    Margarito damaged a lot of other fighters career's like Golden Johnson 30-1, and Kermit Cintron 24-0, another undefeated Puerto Rican fighter
                    who we will never know how good he could've been.
                    There was karma in the end as Margarito was caught with the loaded gloves prior to his fight with Shane Mosley, who proceeded to knock him out, Manny Pacquiao damaged one of his eyes in their fight, Miguel Cotto got his revenge in their rematch via stoppage, he was suspended will never enter the Hall of Fame, his career is one big asterisk, and his wife left him.
                    His boxing career went straight down hill after he cheated in his fight against Miguel Cotto, a fate he truly deserved to suffer.
                    pnut901 pnut901 NYboxFan NYboxFan like this.

Comment

Working...
                    X