Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto on Hall of Fame Nod: I Didn't Expect It, Took Me By Surprise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto on Hall of Fame Nod: I Didn't Expect It, Took Me By Surprise

A few days ago, four division world champion Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico received boxing's biggest honor - when it was announced that he would be part of the 2022 class to enter the International Boxing Hall of Fame located in Canastota, New York.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    North Star North Star likes this.

Earned and deserve. congrats Miguel Angel Cotto
    Butt stuff Butt stuff likes this.

Comment

Cotto is a class act, happy he got in.

Comment

Well deserved but I didn't expect him to not speak in the third person.

Comment

Miguel Cotto might be the worst fighter out of all the 2020 and 2021 inductees (minus the women.)

That's how deep this class is.
          nacho daddy nacho daddy likes this.

Comment

Miguel cotto recently came out on an interview in puerto rico of how its impossible that a flyweight like manny pacquiao move up 8 weight classes “naturally”. At least miguel cotto has a brain, unlike most of these fanboys who still think pacquiao beat all those bigger stronger guys in a clean way lmao https://youtu.be/BlfhJdW_ZsE
            Last edited by mexiFistology; 12-10-2021, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              Miguel Cotto might be the worst fighter out of all the 2020 and 2021 inductees (minus the women.)

That's how deep this class is.
              You don’t know shtt about boxing lol

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
                Cotto is a class act, happy he got in.
                What do you think about him saying theres no way pacquiao moved up 8 weight classes clean?

Comment

Originally posted by mexiFistology View Post

What do you think about him saying theres no way pacquiao moved up 8 weight classes clean?
                  Everyone knows Pac was on PEDs. Still impressive though

Comment

Salud! Much respect to Miguel Cotto! Should've never accepted that catch-weight for Pacquiao! Oh well, hindsight is 20/20!

Cotto's pride prevented Pac rematch
                    October 5, 2012

Of the three potential opponents Pacquiao was presented with by Top Rank's Bob Arum for a Dec. 8 HBO PPV fight, Cotto was the one preferred by Pacquiao -- rather than a fourth fight with Juan Manuel Marquez or a rematch with Timothy Bradley Jr.

But Cotto, a promotional free agent who had spent his entire career with Top Rank (aside from his May fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr.) had other ideas. Sure, Cotto was open to facing Pacquiao again -- and when has Cotto ever ducked a tough opponent? -- but he is also a proud man.

Feeling disrespected, Cotto refused to take a deal that wasn't to his liking and rejected Arum's offer. Instead, he decided to work again with Golden Boy, which put on the Mayweather fight, and accepted a fight with junior middleweight titlist Austin Trout for far less money.

They will meet Dec. 1 (Showtime) at New York's Madison Square Garden -- Cotto's home away from home -- which always rocks with his Puerto Rican fans when he fights there. It will be Cotto's eighth fight at the Garden, where his record is perfect (8-0, 4 KOs).

Why would Cotto pick Trout (25-0, 14 KOs), a good fighter with a belt but a virtual unknown, over Pacquiao, the global star? What gives?

Money and weight is what gives.

For the 2009 fight, Cotto's deal with Top Rank called for a guaranteed $6.5 million purse, plus a share of the pay-per-view profits. During the Sergio Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. promotion last month, Arum told boxing reporters that he offered Cotto $13 million for the Pacquiao rematch and estimated that with strong pay-per-view sales Cotto could earn another $2 million from his share of the profits.

Arum said that when Cotto turned it down, he and Pacquiao went with Marquez for Pacquiao's next fight, just one week after Cotto's.

Cotto vigorously disputed Arum's claim.

"The only offer Top Rank ever made us was the same money as in 2009," Cotto told ESPN.com. "[Arum] made the same offer he made in 2009, and we found it kind of funny. That was the reason we decided not to face Pacquiao. That, and they also wanted me to go down to 150 pounds and give him the same advantage that they gave Pacquiao in 2009, a catchweight."

Cotto said he was surprised to read that Arum said he offered him $13 million.

"Bob said he offered us $13 million, but he never came to us with that offer," Cotto said. "He always offered us the same guarantee he offered us in 2009, with the same benefits, and that's not fair. He offered the exact same amount of money. Of course it's a business, but all we want is fair business. You can say to Bob to tell me he made that offer to me to my face, and you will see his reaction.

"Miguel Cotto always agrees to fight the best. I've never said no to anybody, but you need to treat me fairly in business."

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...rematch-boxing

Enjoy retirement, and congrats on the HOF! Please send my love to the wife! No disrespect but DAMN! Champ, you're a very lucky man!

Comment

Working...
                    X