Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Xander Zayas: I Want To Show The Fans I'm Coming, I'm The Future

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Xander Zayas: I Want To Show The Fans I'm Coming, I'm The Future

by Thomas Gerbasi - Despite his status as one of the top prospects in boxing, sometimes you get a reminder of how young Xander Zayas is, and it's a jolt. Case in point, as the 19-year-old Zayas prepares for his Madison Square Garden debut this Saturday against Alessio Mastronunzio, the topic of conversation turns to great performances turned in by the Puerto Rican greats of the past at the Mecca of boxing. I mention a recent story I did on the Felix Trinidad-Ricardo Mayorga bout.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Charlie Zelenoff Charlie Zelenoff likes this.

This kid looks good I like him as prospect better than berlanga

Comment

Salute to PR! Salute to NYC! Salute Zayas, Berlanga, and one of my new favorites Subriel "Browny" Matias! Matias vs. Ponce! IBF, do your job! MAN UP!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
        Salute to PR! Salute to NYC! Salute Zayas, Berlanga, and one of my new favorites Subriel "Browny" Matias! Matias vs. Ponce! IBF, do your job! MAN UP!
        110% agreement mate. Boxing needs great Boricua fighters in the sport. Hope this lad continues onwards and upwards

Comment

Please don't jinx us. Verdejo was the last hope.

Comment

Top Rank done a real good job with matchmaking with Zayas , even his last fight i was cool with. Considering it was a short turnaround after a Tough fight but I was really hoping he'd close out the year strong against an experienced opponent.

Oh well at the end of the day he's only 19 years old and already ranked 70th in the world. I'm sure next year we'll get more step up fights .
            Castilo Castilo Beercules Beercules like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post

110% agreement mate. Boxing needs great Boricua fighters in the sport. Hope this lad continues onwards and upwards
              Indeed, but what happened to this...

Matias-Jukembayev, Ritson-Ponce IBF 140-Pound Title Eliminators In Play
              March 9, 2021

The winner of the forthcoming undisputed junior welterweight championship showdown between Jose Ramirez and Josh Taylor will have several mandatory challengers waiting in the wings.

At least one doesn’t plan to get in the way of the aforementioned fight or the immediate plans for whomever ultimately prevails.

A four-man tournament has been ordered by the International Boxing Federation (IBF) to determine the next junior welterweight mandatory contender, BoxingScene.com has learned. Two bouts are currently in talks for this spring—Puerto Rico’s Subriel Matias (16-1, 16KOs) and Kazakhstan’s Batyzhan Jukembayev (18-0, 14KOs) on one side the bracket, while England’s Lewis Ritson (21-1, 12KOs) and Argentina’s Jeremias Ponce (27-0, 17KOs) are due to meet in the second title eliminator.

https://www.boxingscene.com/matias-j...s-play--155990

Matias and Ponce won back in June! Here it is December, and still no word on the fight, and no purse bids yet???

Comment

Zayas looks like the real deal, but time will tell.
                Imagine if MSG was the "Mecca of Boxing" instead of Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by ruedboy View Post
                  Zayas looks like the real deal, but time will tell.
                  Imagine if MSG was the "Mecca of Boxing" instead of Vegas.
                  From what I've heard the boxers say in the past, New York's tax's are astronomical which affects how much they make to fight here.
                  Las Vegas on the other hand doesn't tax the fighters to the extent that New York does if at all, don't quote me on the at all part of my statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
                    Indeed, but what happened to this...

Matias-Jukembayev, Ritson-Ponce IBF 140-Pound Title Eliminators In Play
                    March 9, 2021

The winner of the forthcoming undisputed junior welterweight championship showdown between Jose Ramirez and Josh Taylor will have several mandatory challengers waiting in the wings.

At least one doesn’t plan to get in the way of the aforementioned fight or the immediate plans for whomever ultimately prevails.

A four-man tournament has been ordered by the International Boxing Federation (IBF) to determine the next junior welterweight mandatory contender, BoxingScene.com has learned. Two bouts are currently in talks for this spring—Puerto Rico’s Subriel Matias (16-1, 16KOs) and Kazakhstan’s Batyzhan Jukembayev (18-0, 14KOs) on one side the bracket, while England’s Lewis Ritson (21-1, 12KOs) and Argentina’s Jeremias Ponce (27-0, 17KOs) are due to meet in the second title eliminator.

https://www.boxingscene.com/matias-j...s-play--155990

Matias and Ponce won back in June! Here it is December, and still no word on the fight, and no purse bids yet???

That's a good question Bronx2245, those elimination bouts took place over 6 months ago.
                    I just looked up Jeremias ponce, on BoxRec, and he's scheduled to fight Michael Marcano, on 11-20-2021.
                    While Subriel Matias isn't scheduled to fight anyone as of today's BoxRec search, and hasn't fought since 5-29-2021.
                    Subriel not fighting in close to 7 months is a long time, for someone who was fighting 3-4 months a year in his career.
                    I hope all is well with Subriel, I really want to see my brother fight soon he's got a bright future in boxing.
                    Although I do think he gets hit way to much in his last couple of fight's, he needs to utilize his defensive skills more,
                    if he want's to prolong his career.

Comment

Working...
                    X