Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Modern Lightweight Princes Wake Up Echoes of Yesterday's Kings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Modern Lightweight Princes Wake Up Echoes of Yesterday's Kings

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I'm as much a fan of nostalgic references as anyone. But no, the fighters campaigning to be the man at lightweight these days ought to remind precisely no one of the "Four Kings" era from the 1980s. Lest anyone without a YouTube account forget, the quartet that campaigned in boxing's last truly great generation included Roberto Duran, Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns and Ray Leonard and won virtually every meaningful fight from welterweight to middleweight from 1980 to 1987.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Amen to this aricle, it’s the best, most realistic reading I’ve seen on here in almost 16 years.
    also, it ain’t just at these weights, it’s at ALL weight categories. They are far more focused on the money than the glory, this sport has become that way and it’s happening all over. I do agree that, if a man puts his health on the line for money then he’s earning it but it reaches a point where the money rules.

example, hearns hagler, Leonard Duran, hearns Duran, hagler Leonard etc etc they all lined up to beat the top men.
    young Davis lost on Sunday but it was very close and I don’t sit at ringside with the job but to then say “ I’ll fight whoever they put in front of me is completely wrong”. He knows who the top dogs are and don’t name nobody and say “let’s fight so I can prove I’m the best”.
    nope,
    leave it all to elerbe and haymon and Floyd’s love.
    Boxingmean Boxingmean likes this.

Comment

Stop writing articles about and covering these guys in general. Write articles in 10 years when (if) they've actually accomplished something in the sport you cover. As long as they keep fighting cab drivers, there's nothing worth writing about, and these articles and interviews just keep going in circles. All these articles "so and so said this." This sport isn't called "Talking" it's called "Boxing." Stop writing about them, stop writing about what they say, and only write about athletes that are actually accomplishing things and making actual sports news. "Ryan Garcia took a dump at 7:00 AM today." No one cares except maybe people on twitter.

Comment

just give up on this 4 kings crap already.
        Since when and why doe Kambosos become a new King? And what if he loses to Haney? Garcia looks like he'll do absolutely nothing at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by micky1971 View Post
          Amen to this aricle, it’s the best, most realistic reading I’ve seen on here in almost 16 years.
          also, it ain’t just at these weights, it’s at ALL weight categories. They are far more focused on the money than the glory, this sport has become that way and it’s happening all over. I do agree that, if a man puts his health on the line for money then he’s earning it but it reaches a point where the money rules.

example, hearns hagler, Leonard Duran, hearns Duran, hagler Leonard etc etc they all lined up to beat the top men.
          young Davis lost on Sunday but it was very close and I don’t sit at ringside with the job but to then say “ I’ll fight whoever they put in front of me is completely wrong”. He knows who the top dogs are and don’t name nobody and say “let’s fight so I can prove I’m the best”.
          nope,
          leave it all to elerbe and haymon and Floyd’s love.
          ———-

This line right here “l’ll fight whoever they put in front of me” has become the common language when fighters avoid other fighters.
          It’s ridiculous and absurd to hear a pro boxer say trash like that.
          Tank could have at least responded to the taunts from Ryan Garcia.
          I’ve heard the same shït from Crawford, Spence and many many others.

So for Tank, If they put Rigondeux in front of him, he’ll fight Rigondeux? What malarkey!!
          Last edited by Oregonian; 12-07-2021, 05:28 AM.
          Rodtang Rodtang Castilo Castilo like this.

Comment

I anyone still talking about 4 kings? That's stupid. You can't have a Four kings if the most promising King lost to an unheralded fighter and won't fight again at LW and the most famous king is not fighting for psychological reasons. The concept is meaningless if the 4 names are constantly changing.

If Lomachenko regains the belts then he is the king of his era and that's it. There was never a four kings.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
              just give up on this 4 kings crap already.
              Since when and why doe Kambosos become a new King? And what if he loses to Haney? Garcia looks like he'll do absolutely nothing at this point.
              I am also sick of the 4 kings crap. One just lost, the other ones, apart from Loma don't show any interest in fighting each other....Ryan Garcia has issues, Kambosos has the look of a capable, nothing special guy.

Teo fighting Josh Taylor is a bad idea for him.

Comment

Also, on the podcasts, alot of people seem to compare Teo's dad with Danny Garcia's, as am example of buffoonery...The difference is that DG's dad has gotten his son to a borderline HOF career for close to a decade now.

Comment

Obviously this 4 kings jazz is nonsensical nostalgia. None of the lightweights today have accomplished anywhere near what those men of the 70s dod all the way through the 80s and were still in big fights into the early 90s. These lightweights and welterweights won titles from lightweight to light heavyweight and all points in between. Ryan Garcia hasn’t even won one title and seems afraid to fight anyone of substance.
                  wrecksracer wrecksracer likes this.

Comment

Not sure why they keep trying to make this 4 kings thing work, it's complete nonsense. It can only be a thing after careers are done. It's interesting their trying to push 4 Iightweights together, but the original lot were from, lightweight, welterweight and middleweight. Maybe a 4 kings scenario can happen, but it could be any 4 fighters spanning multiple divisions. You can't just look at 4 lightweghts and say "what about those 4". Interesting that its 4 Americans. It may well prove to be other nationalities. And at the moment the next realistic 4 kings is Juan Estrada, Roman Gonzalez, Sor Rungvisai and Carlos Cuadras. Their in a proper 4 kings scenario right now. Why no mention? Because their not American?

Comment

Working...
                    X