Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Vergil Ortiz To Return January 22; WBC-Ordered Title Eliminator With David Avanesyan To Follow

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Vergil Ortiz To Return January 22; WBC-Ordered Title Eliminator With David Avanesyan To Follow

Vergil Ortiz has a fight date and the chance to enter a final title elimination bout. They just won't occur on the same night. The unbeaten welterweight contender from Grand Prairie, Texas is being groomed for an active 2022 campaign, as he is set to return January 22. The fight date was confirmed by Eric Gomez, president of Golden Boy Promotions and Ortiz's promoter who was forced to reveal the news during the mandatory challenger portion of the 59th annual WBC Convention on Tuesday.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I don’t understand why they just don’t fight the eliminator straight away, what’s the need for the January fight first? Its not like either of them have been inactive
    Mrbinuk Mofias likes this.

Comment

Boxing is full of BS why have an ordered eliminator if he is not going to fight next. WBC is really we be crooks why fighters even fight for the title is pointless now

Comment

As with Ennis, he looks ready for Crawford/Spence but the promoters drag things out with 'just one more easy fight and then we'll get to the best of the division' approach

Comment

Originally posted by JayCho View Post
          I don’t understand why they just don’t fight the eliminator straight away, what’s the need for the January fight first? Its not like either of them have been inactive
          Exactly! Ortiz Jr. vs. Avaneysyan on January 22nd! Make it happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
            As with Ennis, he looks ready for Crawford/Spence but the promoters drag things out with 'just one more easy fight and then we'll get to the best of the division' approach
            The difference is that Ennis is not in the #1 Spot by any sanctioning body! Ortiz Jr. is #1 in both the WBC and WBO! My hope is that the IBF orders Ennis to fight Abdukakhorov in a Final Eliminator real soon! Abdukakhorov won his eliminator in 2019, and has only fought once since then!

Comment

I’ll say it first but reckon Ortiz is getting beat on this one. Never been hugely impressed by him and I think Avenesyan stops him I the later rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by JayCho View Post
                Because he already has a date and an opponent lined up for Jan 22. Same thing happened to Munguia he was already set to fight Rosado and had a Nov date then the WBC ordered a eliminator. Just because a eliminator is ordered you then have to start negotiations which can take months alone. You could get to Jan 22 and still have no deal and be waiting around for the WBC to order a purse bid to determine which promoter and network owns the fight. If Munguia scraped the Rosado fight he would not of kept his Nov date and likely wouldn't of fought again in 2021. For example Crawford/Porter was ordered in July they negotiated for 2 months without coming to a deal and a purse bid was finally scheduled in Sept and then 2 weeks after that a deal was reached and they are now fighting end of Nov. They want to keep the Jan date and keep Ortiz active not risk him being out of ring until March '22 or later. Also Ortiz already 1# with the WBO and #2 with the WBA there is a chance he could get a direct title shot faster going through the WBO/WBA. I like keeping Vergil active and there is no guarantee the WBC will give you the title shot in 2022. They have to see what plays out with Errol Spence.
                boxingnumber247 boxingnumber247 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
                  Exactly! Ortiz Jr. vs. Avaneysyan on January 22nd! Make it happen!
                  That's 2 months away and assuming Golden Boy wins a purse bid or get's Avaneysyan to agree quickly to the same money his opponent they have lined up has already agreed to (unlikely). In reality it's Ortiz vs whoever they lined up for Jan 22 or Ortiz vs Avaneysyan March/April/May
                  GreatMalenko GreatMalenko likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by M111 View Post
                    I’ll say it first but reckon Ortiz is getting beat on this one. Never been hugely impressed by him and I think Avenesyan stops him I the later rounds.
                    Please. Vergil is stopping him in 6 rounds or less. He smoked a guy who smoked him in his last fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X