Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Trainer Robert Garcia Acknowledges Amicable Split With Vergil Ortiz Jr.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Trainer Robert Garcia Acknowledges Amicable Split With Vergil Ortiz Jr.

The next step in the career of Vergil Ortiz Jr. will come without head trainer Robert Garcia Sr. A three-plus year relationship between the unbeaten welterweight contender and the veteran cornerman has come to an end, both parties confirmed Friday. News of the split was first reported during an ESPN+ boxing telecast live from Las Vegas, though with both sides feeling the need to clear the air after a subsequent claim regarding Ortiz's future.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Smart kid. Robert Garcia has never won a big fight. Not one.

well Maidana vs Broner is one I guess. But it’s not really a big big fight at the highest level. Or is it? Borderline I think
    Last edited by Pac=Duran; 11-06-2021, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Aren't the Reynosos overloaded? They got Canelo, Frank Sanchez, Ryan Garcia, Andy Ruiz, Oscar Valdez, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other guys.

Comment

Honestly probably a good choice, because Virgil lacks good defense and that’s something for one reason or another that garcias fighters don’t really show much improvement on. That being said I myself thought it was really strange to send others in place of what is probably considered Garcias top fighter. Well it’s a strange split but probably for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
          Smart kid. Robert Garcia has never won a big fight. Not one.

well Maidana vs Broner is one I guess. But it’s not really a big big fight at the highest level. Or is it? Borderline I think
          I think your screen name is an even bigger joke if your trying to insinuate what i think you are

Comment

Originally posted by Noelanthony View Post

I think your screen name is an even bigger joke if your trying to insinuate what i think you are
            Which big fights has Robert Garcia won?

pac whooped all his fighters as well where’s the joke?

Comment

They might've thought that the style didn't mesh well at the highest level or that Robert isn't giving them the time they think they need or maybe they couldn't come to terms on the money. All normal things that have been happening between the best fighters and trainers in the sport for years. Good on them that they ended things professionally and didn't go to the media or try to lowball each others.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
                Aren't the Reynosos overloaded? They got Canelo, Frank Sanchez, Ryan Garcia, Andy Ruiz, Oscar Valdez, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other guys.
                Ruiz Jr has fought once in the last 2 years, and Ryan Garcia isn't the most active. He's probably done with boxing and becoming a full-time tik toker lol. I'm sure Reynoso has the time.

Comment

I think Robert is a good trainer just slightly overrated. He’s kinda like Roach in the fact that they’re both offense may minded trainers but neither of them seems to teach defense well.

Vergil is a touch SOB with plenty of firepower but in his last two fights against Kav & Hooker, he got hit A LOT. A lot more than he should be at such a young age. If he keeps taking punches like that in every fight he’s gonna have a short prime & a short career.

Comment

It genuinely seems as if the two parted amicably, though perhaps with a little animosity about Garcia's choices as to who to corner for.

Ortiz Jr might just be the kinda fighter who needs a team around him exclusively focused on him, whereas joining the Garcia's or the Reynoso camp, you would need to be the kind of personality that flourishes with other top fighters around you, an atmosphere which promotes teamwork, learning, camaraderie, and pits you against the other fighters in your camp.

You have to learn you're not the only cat in the house, and it works well if you thrive having other fighters around to motivate you.

There's nothing wrong with training solo, as long as you have a good team since you get constant attention, but the downside is you always have to pay for sparring partners, and you're not in a gym-type situation where you can feed and learn of each other.

I think (despite him not having a meaningful fight since the Joshua rematch) that Andy Ruiz Jr looks as though he has really fit in exceptionally well with the Reynoso team, he looks healthy, in shape and keen to work his way up again.
                    AmpMcv AmpMcv likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X