Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mendez-Taniguchi: No Offers Submitted For Strawweight Title Fight, WBO Orders Second Purse Bid

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Mendez-Taniguchi: No Offers Submitted For Strawweight Title Fight, WBO Orders Second Purse Bid

A title fight in boxing's smallest weight division has proven to a tough sell. The ordered WBO strawweight title fight between defending champion Wilfredo 'Bimbito' Mendez and mandatory challenger Masataka Taniguchi is still in search of a promoter. A purse bid hearing held Wednesday evening at WBO headquarters in San Juan came and went without anyone bidding on the fight, prompting the sanctioning body to take drastic measures.
    [Click Here To Read More]

It pretty much shows that nobody cares about watching a couple 76lbs fighters who are smaller than the average 8th grader… yeah I know it’s like 108lbs or something… $40000 purse bid? The challenger gets $10000 not including paying out his team… i’m pretty sure that doesn’t go far in Japan. Better off working at McDonalds for those 12 weeks. In Canada you could gross about $7272 in 12 weeks working 40hrs/week at minimum wage… it doesn’t seen worth starving yourself to make weight for that…
    Last edited by joe strong; 10-21-2021, 06:42 AM.
    Pigeons Pigeons likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
      It pretty much shows that nobody cares about watching a couple 76lbs fighters who are smaller than the average 8th grader… yeah I know it’s like 108lbs or something… $40000 purse bid? The challenger gets $10000 not including paying out his team… i’m pretty sure that doesn’t go far in Japan. Better off working at McDonalds for those 12 weeks. In Canada you could gross about $7272 in 12 weeks working 40hrs/week at minimum wage… it doesn’t seen worth starving yourself to make weight for that…

Joe ,there is no need to pick on smaller men. I know that you are insecure about your lack of knowledge of the overall sport ; it ok to be a casual-fan, its another thing to hate on smaller fighters whos careers do not have any affect on your preferred division -- the division that is known for : ducking, doping, scandals, lies, propaganda.

I noticed that my truthful statements about HW really irks you, but hey your problem is coming to terms with the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post

Joe ,there is no need to pick on smaller men. I know that you are insecure about your lack of knowledge of the overall sport ; it ok to be a casual-fan, its another thing to hate on smaller fighters whos careers do not have any affect on your preferred division -- the division that is known for : ducking, doping, scandals, lies, propaganda.

I noticed that my truthful statements about HW really irks you, but hey your problem is coming to terms with the facts.
        Hahaha! You amuse me. Thanks for the laugh this morning. The numbers don’t lie. Would you waste your time training for 3 months for a 4 digit paycheck?

Comment

Hahaha! You amuse me. Thanks for the laugh this morning. The numbers don’t lie. Would you waste your time training for 3 months for a 4 digit paycheck?
          Manny of these straw/flyweight boxers come from third-world countries, believe it or not making 12K is more than they can make in a year of labor in their home countries ; why do you think that there is not many straw-weight champions from America? 12K here is nothing.

I know you are forced to watch flyweights on the undercards of your favorite HW's tho,

Comment

If you never saw Ricardo Lopez fight you missed out on a terrific technician as well as puncher.

PBC should have bid something and put this on the Canelo undercard which is terrible.
            kushking kushking likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post

Manny of these straw/flyweight boxers come from third-world countries, believe it or not making 12K is more than they can make in a year of labor in their home countries ; why do you think that there is not many straw-weight champions from America? 12K here is nothing.

I know you are forced to watch flyweights on the undercards of your favorite HW's tho,
              I get that there are many from poor countries. As i spend a lot of time in third world countries. The challenger in this fight is from Japan which is far from third world. That is my point if you read my original post again. I said that $10000 doesn’t go far there. Japan is very expensive to visit.

Comment

40k split into 30k-10k split? So the Japanese guy is going to make 10k + whatever sponsors he gets but that 10k is going to get sliced up by promoter, manager, coach, training camp, sparring partners, and Uncle Sam.
                kushking kushking likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

If you never saw Ricardo Lopez fight you missed out on a terrific technician as well as puncher.

PBC should have bid something and put this on the Canelo undercard which is terrible.
                  I really only watch HWs now & usually I’m away from home working so unless i am home for a PPV with HWs then i just watch on youtube or some other platform. If my local pub is showing it which was the case for joshua/usyk & the last 2 Wilder/Fury fights then i will go there. I barely have time to watch my Edmonton Oilers & any baseball so other weight classes i’m not interested in i just don’t bother.
                  Last edited by joe strong; 10-21-2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I get that there are many from poor countries. As i spend a lot of time in third world countries. The challenger in this fight is from Japan which is far from third world. That is my point if you read my original post again. I said that $10000 doesn’t go far there. Japan is very expensive to visit.
                    The initial purse-bid was set for 80K, this upcoming bid is for 40K, Masataka Taniguchi is not exactly someone that the Japanese would be invested in. I don't know who promotes Wilfredo ‘Bimbito’ Mendez, but he previously got DAZN's attention as he was schedule to defend against the former WBO interim champ Carlos Buitrago, on the Vergil Ortiz vs. Egis Kavaliauskas undercard. Unfortunately Buitrago ruined everything by failing to make the 105 limit.

This is a sad situation, it reminds me of when former unified jr. flyweight champ Hekkie Budler dropped the IBF 108 title in 2018, due to a poor-purse-bid and the expense of the sanctioning fee ; promoter Sampson Lewkowicz won the bid with a mere 25K.

Its no laughing matter, these are real warriors, they fight the dangerous opponents of their division more often than the higher-weights, yet do not get the respect and recognition nor the money that they deserve -- I notice these sad events, and I have to appreciate the lower-weight classes.

Comment

Working...
                    X