Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hall Candidacy Helps People Reconnect With Tim Ryan's Greatness

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hall Candidacy Helps People Reconnect With Tim Ryan's Greatness

by Lyle Fitzsimmons - For fans of a certain age, he's the soundtrack of a generation. And even now, long after he sat ringside to call his last fight, Tim Ryan is gaining fans. As young writer types perform due diligence on would-be inductees to the International Boxing Hall of Fame, they're stumbling upon his candidacy in the observer category - and getting a long overdue listen to a voice that rode shotgun to some of the 20th century's biggest names and performances.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I remember those Saturday afternoon matinee fights on CBS with Thomas Hearns, Marvin Hagler, Alexis Arguello, Ray Mancini, Orlando Canizales, Aaron Pryor and Julio Cesar Chavez that he used call with Gill Clancy and Sugar Ray Leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
      I remember those Saturday afternoon matinee fights on CBS with Thomas Hearns, Marvin Hagler, Alexis Arguello, Ray Mancini, Orlando Canizales, Aaron Pryor and Julio Cesar Chavez that he used call with Gill Clancy and Sugar Ray Leonard.
      I started watching boxing at the time of Pryor-Arguello....all these fights were for free on TV.
      champion4ever champion4ever likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by BritJimbo View Post

I started watching boxing at the time of Pryor-Arguello....all these fights were for free on TV.
        Yes, no doubt! Those were the good ole days!

Comment

So true about him gaining new fans. Watching classic fights on YouTube he's become the voice of many many great fights for me.

Comment

Gil and Tim were the best.

Comment

Were those afternoon fights live usually or were they tape delay? I turned 40 earlier this yr and for the most part, the afternoon weekend fights on free TV ended during the time of the previous generation of fans, and as such, the idea of fights being held at those early times always seemed soo foreign

Comment

Originally posted by Mario040481 View Post
                Were those afternoon fights live usually or were they tape delay? I turned 40 earlier this yr and for the most part, the afternoon weekend fights on free TV ended during the time of the previous generation of fans, and as such, the idea of fights being held at those early times always seemed soo foreign
                They were live with most starting around 4-4:30 on the east coast.
                Those were great times.
                Mario040481 Mario040481 likes this.

Comment

1984 gold medalist Paul Gonzales convicted on child molestation charges he is sentenced to Three years

Comment

I miss boxing announcers like Ryan.

Comment

Working...
                    X