Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Usyk Focused On Catching Up With Family: "Not Thinking About A Rematch Right Now"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Usyk Focused On Catching Up With Family: "Not Thinking About A Rematch Right Now"

A follow-up act was the last thing on Oleksandr Usyk's after accomplishing his lifelong dream. Months of preparation and sacrifice was applied to Ukraine's Usyk (19-0, 13KOs) soundly outpointing two-time unified heavyweight titlist Anthony Joshua over twelve rounds Saturday evening at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London. The unbeaten former World cruiserweight king boxed and moved effectively, along with plenty of power shots for good measure to become a two-division and reigning WBA/IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight titlist.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Stay away from celebrating too much. You don't want to end up like that last guy.
    landotter landotter likes this.

Comment

Usyk is the Fighter of the Year so far

Comment

When it comes to the rematch, is family going to be to Usyk what snickers were to Andy Ruiz? Note, this is meant to be read humorously, serious only in the legitimate questions it would pose towards predicting the winner of the rematch in real boxing. It is not in any way equating candy bars to family in a real sense.
        Last edited by Boxing Logic; 09-27-2021, 12:17 AM.

Comment

I don't know - maybe Usyk will pleasantly surprise me. But quite a bit of fighters after achieving such historic win lose motivation. It's a shame he has to rematch Joshua. Because we might not see this version of Usyk for much longer (if ever). He is 34 and this fight took a lot out of him. If he has one or two fights left at or near this level - I would rather watch Fury or Wilder fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by mick1303 View Post
            I don't know - maybe Usyk will pleasantly surprise me. But quite a bit of fighters after achieving such historic win lose motivation. It's a shame he has to rematch Joshua. Because we might not see this version of Usyk for much longer (if ever). He is 34 and this fight took a lot out of him. If he has one or two fights left at or near this level - I would rather watch Fury or Wilder fight him.

If you have been following Usyk's career at all, you would understand that of all the things there are to worry about, losing motivation is not one of them. This will make Usyk an international known star, but he has been a huge celebrity in his home country for year. He has already achieved immense success, unifying a competitive division and winning the much hyped Ali Trophy in the process. This is not Ruiz that had accomplished very little and exploded overnight. Usyk has been there, done that, just not with this many headlines.

The man recharges by going home and being a Dad and Husband. Now, your second point about how long he can keep this level up against so much naturally bigger men than him after all the wars he has been in is a bigger issue. I do not know. But he will not become lazy. I feel he will walk away before he falls off a cliff. But who knows? Fury, Wilder, Whyte all present very different challenges than Joshua. How long he can meet those remains a mystery only Father Time will reveal.

Comment

Working...
            X