Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Stevie McKenna on Conor Benn: My Style, Physicality Would Prove Far Too Much

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Stevie McKenna on Conor Benn: My Style, Physicality Would Prove Far Too Much

As a professional, world ranked welter Conor Benn can boast more fights (19) than Stevie McKenna has had rounds (15) so far, but that doesn't dissuade the smoking Smithsborough, County Monaghan 'Hitman' from actively staking a shootout with the son of Hall of Fame legend Nigel Benn.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Wishful thinking Stevie... You're name will be up there next to David Avanesyan on Hearn's list of who NOT to put Benn in with.

Generally I like Matchroom's match making but think they've backed themselves into a bit of a corner with Conor Benn.

Comment

Listen, Stevie McKenna needs to return to the U.S.A and holla at Adrian Grandado to learn proper foot-work. Stevie McKenna and Conor Benn are lacking basic boxing fundamentals : If you know your boxing and understand how footwork sets traps, you seen all the trouble that Conor Benn had with Granado's slick-feet ; Adrian nearly broke Benn's jaw with uppercuts in the second round ( for the second time ), using the following techniques : skip-steps, shuffling, and pendulum steps.

In this clip, the aforementioned methods set-ups came about with the incorporation of offense and diversion tactics :

Adrian Granado's skip-step was dominant over Conor Benn's bad habit of stepping in range with long wide steps, at times lunging in and even pouncing in the pocket.

After the break, Adrian Granado's employs a basic skip-step ( 1-2-3 to reset ), feints with his feet to initiate ( dictates the exchange ). Notice how Adrian's feet comes down before Benn's lead foot touches down ; this means Adrian is '' a step ahead '', well balances and ready to fire multiple blows and able to step around and move his head -- in contrast, Benn is a split second behind, he has to plant his lead foot on the ground to have the options that Adrian has at his disposal ; to make matters worse, Benn's head is exposed ( you can tuck your chin, dip your head low or tilt it to the side, moving it away from the line ).

As such, Benn gets popped with Adrian's jab. Is Stevie McKenna that smart? He looks pretty simple to me.

Take a look at what Adrian does after he successfully beat Benn to the punch with proper footwork : Adrian shuffles to his left, and uses a jab to bargain his way into a angle that will enable Grandado's to immobilize Conor Benn's left-arm ( after landing a uppercut ), as Adrian shuffles into a 90 ° angle!

Stevie McKenna and the rest of those Euro-Bum's cant even imagine this to be possible.

^ Here is the sequence as close to real-time as I could make it.

Talk to me man, its yo boy young 1hourRun, Track of the day SCAREFACE : Guess Who's Back

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post

Listen, Stevie McKenna needs to return to the U.S.A and holla at Adrian Grandado to learn proper foot-work. Stevie McKenna and Conor Benn are lacking basic boxing fundamentals : If you know your boxing and understand how footwork sets traps, you seen all the trouble that Conor Benn had with Granado's slick-feet ; Adrian nearly broke Benn's jaw with uppercuts in the second round ( for the second time ), using the following techniques : skip-steps, shuffling, and pendulum steps.

In this clip, the aforementioned methods set-ups came about with the incorporation of offense and diversion tactics :

Adrian Granado's skip-step was dominant over Conor Benn's bad habit of stepping in range with long wide steps, at times lunging in and even pouncing in the pocket.

After the break, Adrian Granado's employs a basic skip-step ( 1-2-3 to reset ), feints with his feet to initiate ( dictates the exchange ). Notice how Adrian's feet comes down before Benn's lead foot touches down ; this means Adrian is '' a step ahead '', well balances and ready to fire multiple blows and able to step around and move his head -- in contrast, Benn is a split second behind, he has to plant his lead foot on the ground to have the options that Adrian has at his disposal ; to make matters worse, Benn's head is exposed ( you can tuck your chin, dip your head low or tilt it to the side, moving it away from the line ).

As such, Benn gets popped with Adrian's jab. Is Stevie McKenna that smart? He looks pretty simple to me.

Take a look at what Adrian does after he successfully beat Benn to the punch with proper footwork : Adrian shuffles to his left, and uses a jab to bargain his way into a angle that will enable Grandado's to immobilize Conor Benn's left-arm ( after landing a uppercut ), as Adrian shuffles into a 90 ° angle!

Stevie McKenna and the rest of those Euro-Bum's cant even imagine this to be possible.

^ Here is the sequence as close to real-time as I could make it.

Talk to me man, its yo boy young 1hourRun, Track of the day SCAREFACE : Guess Who's Back
        Like i said, good thing Connor is the Brit, or they would have praised Granados boxing to high heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Corelone View Post

Like i said, good thing Connor is the Brit, or they would have praised Granados boxing to high heaven.
          Corelone, I got to agree with you. During Benn vs. Granado's I grew sick and tired of all the complaining by the DAZN UK commentators, their lack of boxing knowledge and emphasis on the obvious encroached on my appreciation for the art and craft of boxing.

But one comment that stuck with me made by the commentators of DAZN was that Conor Benn had to learn much in sparring due to the fact that he had very limited amateur experience, and it showed vs. Adrian Granados.

Just take a look at this clip from round 2. I cant help but wonder if Vergil Ortiz or Boots Ennis had hit Conor Ben with this combination, would Conor Benn had his jaw broke again? This stuff happens to Benn over and over throughout Adrian Granados, just terrible.

You know Benn's bone-head aggression and poor punching technique are alarming flaws : Look at Benn falling into the uppercut, as noted in the previous post, Granado's feet are well planted and ready to fire multiple punches.

And what awful punching technique, this goof Conor Benn seems to lack understanding on how to measure distance and proper punch selection: Benn's left-hand, is much closer to the taller Adrian Granado's chin; I took notice that Conor Benn elects to lead with the right-hand, which as noted is further from the target and a very difficult punch to land when your chose to lead with it.

Conor Benn, should be grateful for that good work.

Comment

Hearn has a bit of a dilemma regarding how to move Benn forward now I think.

Maybe he'll just keep trying to sell tickets off him against mediocre opposition.

Comment

Working...
            X