Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Oscar Valdez: I Have Never Used Banned Substances To Improve My Performance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Oscar Valdez: I Have Never Used Banned Substances To Improve My Performance

The super featherweight world champion of the World Boxing Council (WBC), Oscar Valdez, has broken his silence on the drug testing controversy that surrounds his upcoming defense against Olympic gold medal winner Robson Conceicao. The contest is taking place on September 10 from Tucson, Arizona.
    [Click Here To Read More]

At least this came out and Oscar Valdez addressed it and so did the commission and so did the Wbc. A few years ago when Dillian Whyte tested positive for his fight with that rivas guy and Eddie Hearn kept it hush and didn’t tell anybody until after the fight and they got an OK from everybody, the brits forgave them smh

Comment

Oh, cool, he just used it for fun and not to enhance his performance. Nothing to see here guys.

Comment

I think the performance enhancing capacity of Phentermine is actually pretty low and isn't something that gives extra strength or stamina from what I've read. However that's not the issue here, the issue here is bigger than that particular substance, it's a matter of principle, when does the WBC get to judge whether a VADA banned substance is allowed or not? whatever VADA bans and someone tests positive for, that fighter should deal with the consequences as per rule book. The discussion about whether the substance should be banned or not is a totally separate discussion.
        FLY TY FLY TY likes this.

Comment

If he needed it to cut weight, then he needed it to help his performance.

Comment

Mauricio the alchemist. Three energy drinks and you get Phentermine. What is he blathering about? Valdez says he never took such a drug, but the tea excuse is weak.
            ShaneMosleySr ShaneMosleySr likes this.

Comment

Comment

So if the WDA (World Doping Agency) allows its use 'outside of competition' then what is determined to be 'outside'? Not in camp? Not within an official signed fight contract period?

Sounds inconsistent and vague, although we all know weight loss aids are used extensively by athletes in combat sports.

If it were a universal rule with clear parameters, then I would welcome it, as I believe blanket banning of all substances ALL the time is ridiculously unrealistic.

There ought to be a distinction between recreational drugs and PED's. Using weight loss drugs like Clenbuterol and its many derivatives is banned, yet this one is only partially.

Clenbuterol it has to be said is also PE, as well as aiding in dramatic weight loss - I know because I've taken it.

If something is studied and found to aid in weight loss without any PE aspects, then perhaps it should be allowed and regulated.

It's obvious to me that striking a balance in an era where there are emerging scientific technologies such as genetic engineering, bone shaping, and much more cutting edge sports science is needed sooner rather than later.

It ain't just roids and Clen anymore, there are so many more weighs an athlete can gain an unfair advantage.

A scientist recently discovered a gene that reverses or at least halts muscular degeneration, and the mice he tested on began to develop bulk muscle mass as a result.

He published his preliminary findings and revealed that he was inundated by large volumes of calls from professional sports teams and coaches across the whole sporting landscape, despite the fact the trials weren't concluded.

I hope the rules and regs can reflect the reality that some young athletes partake in recreational drugs, and many skate close to the line when it comes to preparing for an event.

Comment

I would have preferred he admitted to taking phentermine outside of camp to aid in weight loss, but it doesn't really add up. I would assume fighters would be taking this stuff just prior to camp or at the very beginning - especially those who fight three, four, or more weight classes below their walk-around weight.

'Phentermine has some similarity in its pharmacodynamics with its parent compound, amphetamine, as they both are TAAR1 agonists'
                  Last edited by Kiowhatta; 09-04-2021, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Imagine if weight bullies like Berchelt, David Benavidez and or Teofimo Lopez took this drug to make weight and still keep their muscle mass so that they're not dried up on fight night and see how they would destroy guys. It might not be a PED but it still gives a pretty significant edge

Comment

Working...
                    X