Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Bakhodir Jalolov Defeats Richard Torrez Jr. For Super Heavyweight Gold

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Bakhodir Jalolov Defeats Richard Torrez Jr. For Super Heavyweight Gold

Richard Torrez Jr. was the last man standing for the United States men's team but unable to end a 17-year Gold medal drought. The 22-year-old super heavyweight representative for the United States came up short in his Olympic Gold bid following a points loss to number-one seed Bakhodir Jalolov in the final bout of Tokyo Olympics competition Sunday afternoon at Kokugikan Arena. Jalolov won by scores of 30-26, 30-26, 29-27, 29-27 and 29-27 to become the first Uzbek to win Gold in the super heavyweight division.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I really hope that we can get at least 3 medals in 2024. Our guys fought hard though and they got my respect.

Comment

Good effort Torrez. He looked in there with a shot after the good first round, but he took a beating in the 2nd and couldn't turn it around. Wasn't able to defend well enough against that straight left hand.

By the way, that point deduction was bogus. If that had been the difference in the result, it would've been a travesty.

Comment

Well at least he didn’t get knocked the F out like their last meeting

Comment

Torrez was definitely too small for a giant like this but he fought fiercely. Now jalolov can get back to pros and face a real challenge.

Comment

No Shame for Torrez, most did not expect him to even Medal

Solid Olympics for USA Boxing to walk way with 4 Medals, 3 Silver for the Men!
            bballchump11 bballchump11 likes this.

Comment

Looks like Lou Dibella has a monster! 6'7" Southpaw! Already 8-0 w/ 8 KOs! 27 years old!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBenjamin View Post
                Well at least he didn’t get knocked the F out like their last meeting
                I found it on YT....pretty brutal ko, especially amateur...they should really stop the pros competeing for obvious reasons...

Comment

Originally posted by BritJimbo View Post

I found it on YT....pretty brutal ko, especially amateur...they should really stop the pros competeing for obvious reasons...
                  What's the difference between a 27 year old pro with 8 fights and a 30 something-year-old Cuban amateur with 300 some fights ? Why not just impose an age limit for Olympic boxing?

It's not like these are seasoned vet title holder pros. Also, it's not like the Olympics is all about amateur excellence anyway with stacked Dream Teams and the like...

One of the arguments you often see is that it's grown men beating up or bullying kids with Olympic dreams. The average age at Rio was like 25+ and you have guys like Julio La Cruz winning in their 30's.
                  Last edited by YoungManRumble; 08-08-2021, 05:39 AM.
                  billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Regardless though I was rooting for Torrez. He came out throwing bomb overhand lefts early and seemed like he rocked Jalalolv a couple of times in round 1. Point deduction seemed unfair with all the head pulling the Uzbek was doing and the standing 8 seemed unnecessary but whatever. It is what it is. It's not like Canadians did anything in Olympic Boxing this year but we had some pretty cool track and field wins. Decathlon gold was particularly cool to see.

Comment

Working...
                    X