No announcement yet.

Light Heavyweight Progress is Hard to Come By

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Heavyweight Progress is Hard to Come By

By Troy Ondrizek - There are moments in a fighter's career where stagnation incurs. It could be a myriad of reasons like injury, promotional issues, avoidance by perspective opponents, or even mental fatigue from any combination of those problems. It’s the unfortunate existence of being a prize fighter. Usually freedom from the doldrums comes from activity, but the best cure could also be retirement. This harsh reality affects career after career, so it’s bound to happen to an entire division as well. Recently we’ve seen the light middleweights come into the limelight and maybe soon they’ll crown a new champion; beating them to the punch the heavyweights finally found an heir to their much maligned throne, and now the young light heavyweights are starting to find relevance under the regime of the very old guard. [details]

Still holding it down!

Hop and Jones still holding it down! Hopefully these two by the end of next year-ish get a long over due fight on!

I'm game for Jones to fight anyone other than Dawson but I would still watch it and still root for Pensacola's own Roy Jones Jr.

I don't see too many people out there that can take out the old men (Hop and Jones) of the sport. I guess we might see Dawson put a start to it in Johnson or at least that's how I see it.

Comment

Bhop, RJ, and Glen are all pretty much lookin at their last fight or 2 comin up next. The fact that they're still near the top of the division is a testament to em moreso than a knock on the younger crop of LHW's imo. Glen lacks the legacy of gr8ness that Bhop and RJ got, but all 3 are G's.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
        Bhop, RJ, and Glen are all pretty much lookin at their last fight or 2 comin up next. The fact that they're still near the top of the division is a testament to em moreso than a knock on the younger crop of LHW's imo. Glen lacks the legacy of gr8ness that Bhop and RJ got, but all 3 are G's.
        Glen lacks a bit of the legacy, but he is holding stronger than Tarver and Jones Jr. are at this stage of their careers. I wouldn't mind seeing Hopkins/Johnson should Glencoffe get by Dawson. I doubt it, but it's possible. But besides Dawson, what young light heavyweight has excited or even intrigued boxing fans in the past decade let alone the past 5 years?

Comment

Working...
        X