Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roniel Iglesias Outclasses Pat McCormack For Welterweight Gold In Tokyo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Roniel Iglesias Outclasses Pat McCormack For Welterweight Gold In Tokyo

Roniel Iglesias saved the best for last. The four-time Cuban Olympian with three medals in two can now add 'two-time Olympic Gold medalist' to his resume after soundly outpointing Great Britain's Pat McCormack in the Tokyo Olympics welterweight final. Scores were 30-27, 30-27, 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28 in favor of Iglesias, who delivered a masterclass performance Tuesday evening at Kokugikan Arena in Tokyo.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Quality from Iglesias, he's had a decorated career for sure. Well done to McCormack too, a silver is not to be sniffed at.

6 medals guaranteed for team GB, a nice return. Some tough fights ahead to try make them gold medals though.

sicko sicko DosRounds DosRounds like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
      Quality from Iglesias, he's had a decorated career for sure. Well done to McCormack too, a silver is not to be sniffed at.

6 medals guaranteed for team GB, a nice return. Some tough fights ahead to try make them gold medals though.
      What fights have we got coming up?

Anyone you pick for a gold?

Comment

Originally posted by Dakuwaqa View Post

What fights have we got coming up?

Anyone you pick for a gold?
        So far mate, GB have a bronze in the women's tournament and a silver in the men's.

Galal Yafai is through to the semis, he's facing Bibossynov from Kazakhstan.
        Ben Whittaker is in the final of Light-Heavyweight, against Arlen Lopez of Cuba.
        Frazer Clarke is in the semi final of the Super Heavyweights, he's facing Jalolov of Uzbekistan.
        Lauren Price is in the semi final and faces Fontijn of Holland.

I'm not really that clued up on the amateur scene but I think Lauren Price is the bookies favourite to win gold.
        As with Yafai, I'm not sure how good his opponent is, but if he can get past him he'd face Tanaka (Japan) or Paalam (Philppines) in the final. Maybe someone on here can fill us in on their quality?

Clarke and Whittaker seem up against it in their next fights. They both have tough fights.

At the start of the tournament I thought McCormack had a good chance of gold, but he was out-boxed pretty convincingly today in his final.

Apparently this is our best medal haul since 1920 when we also got 6. So hopefully they can top it off with a gold.

Dakuwaqa Dakuwaqa likes this.

Comment

But were their any hot Japanese girls in the audience? That’s the real question

Comment

So far mate, GB have a bronze in the women's tournament and a silver in the men's.

Ben Whittaker is in the final of Light-Heavyweight, against Arlen Lopez of Cuba.
            Frazer Clarke is in the semi final of the Super Heavyweights, he's facing Jalolov of Uzbekistan.

I'm not really that clued up on the amateur scene but I think Lauren Price is the bookies favourite to win gold.
            As with Yafai, I'm not sure how good his opponent is, but if he can get past him he'd face Tanaka (Japan) or Paalam (Philppines) in the final. Maybe someone on here can fill us in on their quality?

Clarke and Whittaker seem up against it in their next fights. They both have tough fights.

At the start of the tournament I thought McCormack had a good chance of gold, but he was out-boxed pretty convincingly today in his final.

Apparently this is our best medal haul since 1920 when we also got 6. So hopefully they can top it off with a gold.
            I've only watched a bit (and none of the women) but Yafai has a solid shot imo. Think he's definitely better than Bibbossinov, Tanaka's gotten some home cooking so he could be hard to beat with the judges. Paalam is a hard hitting counter puncher that is better than Tanaka but could get robbed. Lopez is really, really good but I don't rule out Whittaker there, though he's the underdog. Clarke is ****ed, Jalolov is a monster
            Chrismart Chrismart likes this.

Comment

Cheers bro !!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post

I've only watched a bit (and none of the women) but Yafai has a solid shot imo. Think he's definitely better than Bibbossinov, Tanaka's gotten some home cooking so he could be hard to beat with the judges. Paalam is a hard hitting counter puncher that is better than Tanaka but could get robbed. Lopez is really, really good but I don't rule out Whittaker there, though he's the underdog. Clarke is ****ed, Jalolov is a monster
                Thanks mate .

Comment

Dominating performance from Iglesias, he mixes up his punches beautifully...Delonte Johnson and Pat McCormick are some damn good Amateurs and he made Easy Work of both 5-0 back to back making his Gold Medal Run very impressive

Comment

Working...
                  X