Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Woodley On Jake Paul Fight: They Brought Me In To Take Out The Trash; You're Welcome!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Woodley On Jake Paul Fight: They Brought Me In To Take Out The Trash; You're Welcome!

Tyron Woodley likens Jake Paul to a kid who will soon realize he is in over his head. The former UFC welterweight champion is 39 and has lost four straight mixed martial arts matches, but he is widely viewed as more dangerous than any of the first three opponents Paul defeated in a boxing ring. Woodley was a two-time All-America wrestler for the University of Missouri before becoming a UFC welterweight champion, yet he established a reputation as one of his sport's harder punchers during his 12-year MMA career.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Ya gotta win before being thanked and as bad as I hate to say it but Jake Paul stops Woodley

Comment

Woodley hasn't had much boxing training, so it might be tough against Jake, who's not just some youtuber.

Comment

Originally posted by Liondw View Post
        Woodley hasn't had much boxing training, so it might be tough against Jake, who's not just some youtuber.
        You could very well be right but honestly even Woodleys limited boxing training is about five times as much as the rest of Jakes opponents combined. Woodley has yielded some good results with his hands in MMA. You cannot say that about Askren (at all lol) or a basketball player. Jake has FAR exceeded expectations and that has people gaining confidence in him. It's perspective though. Mention a guy like Edgar Berlanga and people say "he has a padded record! he'll be exposed soon!" Then mention Jake Paul and it's "you know he can actually box and he has a real future in the sport"

Nothing would surprise me I guess you could say.

Comment

Woodley is perfect for this fight. He's washed up and not a boxer. I don't think a couple months with Mayweather will be much help either.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyc420 View Post
            Woodley is perfect for this fight. He's washed up and not a boxer. I don't think a couple months with Mayweather will be much help either.
            This seems to be the popular sentiment. I am curious what you (and others) feel is Jakes ceiling. Could a good MMA striker in their prime beat him? A journeyman boxer? What would people consider to be a good competitive fight for Jake at this point?
            jonnyc420 jonnyc420 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFrog View Post

This seems to be the popular sentiment. I am curious what you (and others) feel is Jakes ceiling. Could a good MMA striker in their prime beat him? A journeyman boxer? What would people consider to be a good competitive fight for Jake at this point?
              In my opinion the main issue before we can analyse his skill level compared to others is the size disparity in his fights. I think the only thing he’s proven is that he would be a power puncher as a MMA welterweight. How that power translates as he takes on heavier fighters is the big question.

I believe he beats Woodley but probably not a prime version. In terms of your examples I think a prime MMA top 10 welterweight striker beats him but I’m 50/50 on that. MMA MW or LHW striker wins easily. As for a boxing journeyman I imagine he’d beat WW or lower comfortably. Getting up to a journeyman in the relative division to MMA WW (super middle) and I don’t think he’d have much chance.

Obviously this is based on his current skill level and he’s definitely improving. One thing I haven’t heard mentioned much though is with the money, time and dedication he’ll reach his ceiling far quicker than the average adult picking up a new sport. I expect him to plateau out in the next year or so. Definitely a fascinating experiment though!

Comment

Originally posted by Listonator View Post

In my opinion the main issue before we can analyse his skill level compared to others is the size disparity in his fights. I think the only thing he’s proven is that he would be a power puncher as a MMA welterweight. How that power translates as he takes on heavier fighters is the big question.

I believe he beats Woodley but probably not a prime version. In terms of your examples I think a prime MMA top 10 welterweight striker beats him but I’m 50/50 on that. MMA MW or LHW striker wins easily. As for a boxing journeyman I imagine he’d beat WW or lower comfortably. Getting up to a journeyman in the relative division to MMA WW (super middle) and I don’t think he’d have much chance.

Obviously this is based on his current skill level and he’s definitely improving. One thing I haven’t heard mentioned much though is with the money, time and dedication he’ll reach his ceiling far quicker than the average adult picking up a new sport. I expect him to plateau out in the next year or so. Definitely a fascinating experiment though!

Great point on both size and training! Jake can afford to train full time with high level trainers and sparring. A lot of fighters simply cannot. It would also definitely take more skill to beat Jake if you're smaller rather than bigger.

I personally have questions regarding range. Jake seems to clinch whenever anybody gets close to him. It makes me wonder if he is actually capable of fighting inside. He obviously has at least decent speed and power at mid-range but all of his opponents have willingly walked in to this area. I do wonder how Jake does with someone fighting from the outside.

I'm just asking the question! Mostly I am just curious. Neither Woodley nor Jake are really my cup of tea lol
                Listonator Listonator likes this.

Comment

I think if it is an MMA striker first thing is it would have to be someone that is around his actual weight. I think Jake walks around at around 200lb so probably one of the LHWs from the UFC. When it comes to a boxer a journeymam more than likely beats him right now. If Paul continues to train seriously he can probably become quite decent and compete with some of the better boxers in the sport, some guys who skip the amateurs have done pretty well. He is young and may actually have some power so a title fight may happen for him. Idk if he will ever hold a world title but I can see him at least getting a shot. Just my opinions.

Comment

Great point on both size and training! Jake can afford to train full time with high level trainers and sparring. A lot of fighters simply cannot. It would also definitely take more skill to beat Jake if you're smaller rather than bigger.

I personally have questions regarding range. Jake seems to clinch whenever anybody gets close to him. It makes me wonder if he is actually capable of fighting inside. He obviously has at least decent speed and power at mid-range but all of his opponents have willingly walked in to this area. I do wonder how Jake does with someone fighting from the outside.

I'm just asking the question! Mostly I am just curious. Neither Woodley nor Jake are really my cup of tea lol
                    Great questions that definitely made me think about the ramifications of this crazy circus! I agree there are so many questions to be asked because his previous opponents have asked none. The only deduction in terms of being a professional is that he had enough power to hurt Ben Askren... So maybe he hits as hard as say a Robbie Lawler but doesn't punch as hard as Masvidal's flying knee? He appears to be a boxer puncher with decent mid range timing but against walking targets like you said. There's so many attributes such as chin, cardio, heart, ring generalship and ability to fight different styles which we all literally have no idea about, guess that's why it sells besides Jake being a professional troll on top of that.
                    TheFrog TheFrog likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X