No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Chris Colbert-Tugstsogt Nyambayar: Stats and Stakes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Chris Colbert-Tugstsogt Nyambayar: Stats and Stakes

By Cliff Rold - Given how few pounds separate most of boxing's seventeen weight divisions before the massive jump from light heavyweight to cruiserweight, it can sometimes feel like little more than a meal stands as an obstacle to combat. Those who understand how hard it is to shave pounds can explain how untrue that might be but perceptually it often doesn't sound like much. It makes a showdown of contenders in weight classes just four pounds apart almost certain to carry a stamp of quality.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Doesn’t Colbert strike you as someone who would be chinny, though? Most people who adopt that sort of safety first style do it out necessity.

Tug was dangerous in the late rounds against an experienced vet in GRJ. He now has a solid understanding of what a highly skilled, fast fighter will look like, especially after his last fight.

Colbert has never seen someone as skilled as Tug.

Comment

'Doesn’t Colbert strike you as someone who would be chinny, though? Most people who adopt that sort of safety first style do it out necessity.'

Maybe he wants to have an enjoyable, fulfilling life once his ring career is over? I remember Mayweather Snr training Ricky Hatton & Hatton saying he liked to get in & work the body & was willing to take all sorts of punches to the head to do so. An appalled Mayweather cried out 'Boy, you don't want to be taking all those shots to the head, its your brain in there, boy'!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMyspaceDayz View Post
        Doesn’t Colbert strike you as someone who would be chinny, though? Most people who adopt that sort of safety first style do it out necessity.

Tug was dangerous in the late rounds against an experienced vet in GRJ. He now has a solid understanding of what a highly skilled, fast fighter will look like, especially after his last fight.

Colbert has never seen someone as skilled as Tug.
        Im not sure how many fights you've seen of colbert. He was voluntarily staying on the ropes a lot vs arboleda and allowed him to get his punches off so that he can counter him off the ropes. He showed the necessary durability and chin in that fight.

He then proceeded to fight toe to toe with arboleda. Took some decent punches but also picked how punches well and did some solid body work. Arboleda is unproven but his power looks alright.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Eriugenus View Post
          'Doesn’t Colbert strike you as someone who would be chinny, though? Most people who adopt that sort of safety first style do it out necessity.'

Maybe he wants to have an enjoyable, fulfilling life once his ring career is over? I remember Mayweather Snr training Ricky Hatton & Hatton saying he liked to get in & work the body & was willing to take all sorts of punches to the head to do so. An appalled Mayweather cried out 'Boy, you don't want to be taking all those shots to the head, its your brain in there, boy'!
          If you’re unwilling to engage in a fire fight then you’re only as good as your slick boxing style permits. It means you’re only half a fighter. It’s why Floyd would have been walked down and destroyed by the likes of Duran. You need more than just skill to be regarded as the goat. You need heart, and power and knowledge of the past so that you don’t repeat the same mistakes as those who fought before you.

Comment

If you’re unwilling to engage in a fire fight then you’re only as good as your slick boxing style permits. It means you’re only half a fighter. It’s why Floyd would have been walked down and destroyed by the likes of Duran. You need more than just skill to be regarded as the goat. You need heart, and power and knowledge of the past so that you don’t repeat the same mistakes as those who fought before you.
            if you’re forced to engage in a firefight, and you don’t succeed, that’s a slight on you.

however if you can fight slick and not have to engage that makes you the goat.

Comment

What fighter did you see walk down Floyd with anything more than limited success? Floyd fought a ton of guys that were supposed to be PUNCHERS. And what did he do to them. U guys hate on Floyd so much that you HAVE TO bring up the Era of Leonard, Hagler, and Hearns to to get a guy to beat him. WE WILL NEVER KNOW HOW FLOYD WOULD HAVE DONE AGAINST those guys. In his ere against the 50 fighters he fought. HE WON

Comment

Originally posted by Bravado View Post

if you’re forced to engage in a firefight, and you don’t succeed, that’s a slight on you.

however if you can fight slick and not have to engage that makes you the goat.
                Floyd was forced into a firefight and he didn’t succeed. Castillo beat him. Floyd was losing rounds and he knew it, his corner knew it, and they didn’t make the necessary adjustments. Just gonna keep losing rounds while we limit the risk and damage.

He doesn’t have what it takes to beat the Fab 4 or even a prime Oscar or Mosley.

Comment

Originally posted by asgarth View Post

Im not sure how many fights you've seen of colbert. He was voluntarily staying on the ropes a lot vs arboleda and allowed him to get his punches off so that he can counter him off the ropes. He showed the necessary durability and chin in that fight.

He then proceeded to fight toe to toe with arboleda. Took some decent punches but also picked how punches well and did some solid body work. Arboleda is unproven but his power looks alright.
                  Was not ignoring you. Didn’t see the quote

I’ve seen about 5 of Colberts fights. He’s pretty good.

Sticking on the ropes for a minute against a limited fighter doesn’t make you hardcore. You do the same against sparring partners to show off and get some practice at the same time. It’s fights like tonight that will show everyone who you truly are.

Comment

Originally posted by Zodogg View Post

What fighter did you see walk down Floyd with anything more than limited success? Floyd fought a ton of guys that were supposed to be PUNCHERS. And what did he do to them. U guys hate on Floyd so much that you HAVE TO bring up the Era of Leonard, Hagler, and Hearns to to get a guy to beat him. WE WILL NEVER KNOW HOW FLOYD WOULD HAVE DONE AGAINST those guys. In his ere against the 50 fighters he fought. HE WON

Missed this as well. When I get quoted twice, I sometimes miss the second one.

Floyd never fought someone in their prime. He cherry picked his entire career and I never picked against him because of it.

One example of adversity Floyd was forced to face... the Mosley fight. Got rocked by a right hand. That was a way past his prime, supposed to get destroyed by Margarito version of Mosley. In Mosleys prime, that’s a throw away shot that he throws and lands at least 20 times inside a single round. Mayweather would have been in constant peril, wobbling around doing that chicken dance.

There are moments and entire fights that you can look to and see how Mayweather would have faired against so and so. It’s obvious to me. And I wish I was like you where I can say I witnessed the goat n tell my grand kids about it but I just don’t see it.

Comment

Working...
                    X