Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ponce Was Shocked Fight Continued After Ritson's Corner Threw in Towel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ponce Was Shocked Fight Continued After Ritson's Corner Threw in Towel

Lewis Ritson's world title hopes were wrecked by a punishing 10th-round stoppage loss to Jeremias Ponce at the Vertu Motors Arena, Newcastle, live on Sky Sports in the UK and on DAZN in the US.
    [Click Here To Read More]

All the Argentine boxers that come to the UK seem nice
    Butt stuff Butt stuff likes this.

Comment

That ref needs firing.

Comment

Pure insanity, let's just say that not a courtesy a foreign fighter would receive there.
        GucciGod GucciGod likes this.

Comment

I was mildly confused by it to be honest. Not sure what the ref was doing when he ignored that. As the above poster said the ref should be fired.

Comment

A lot of people don't realise that the ref does not have to accept the towel. This is the first time I have seen it happen, and I wouldn't be surprised if the rule is changed, as if Ritson got badly, badly hurt after the towel had been thrown in there would have been chaotic scenes in that ring.
            landotter landotter likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash out View Post
              A lot of people don't realise that the ref does not have to accept the towel. This is the first time I have seen it happen, and I wouldn't be surprised if the rule is changed, as if Ritson got badly, badly hurt after the towel had been thrown in there would have been chaotic scenes in that ring.
              Cotto vs Foreman, 2010
              The trainer for Yuri Foreman threw a towel into the ring in Round 8 after Foreman slipped and injured his right knee. Referee Arthur Mercante Jr, one of the best in the business, alertly threw the towel back, breaking with the so-called norm.

"I could have disqualified the corner but I don't like doing that," Mercante said.

Comment

It happened early in Katsidis–Earl too; ref throw out the towel and let it carry on. Not sure if it was good for Earl's long-term health, but it resulted in a classic fight.

Comment

The ref not accepting the towel is nothing new. The reason being because of bets on the fights back in the they, the ref is the one to do that determination to stop the fight unless the corner goes to the rope.

Comment

Originally posted by Brettcappe View Post

Cotto vs Foreman, 2010
                    The trainer for Yuri Foreman threw a towel into the ring in Round 8 after Foreman slipped and injured his right knee. Referee Arthur Mercante Jr, one of the best in the business, alertly threw the towel back, breaking with the so-called norm.

"I could have disqualified the corner but I don't like doing that," Mercante said.
                    I've heard of it happening a few times, but it's the first time I have actually seeing it. I just think if a ref refuses a towel, and someone gets seriously damaged afterward, or even dies, then the ref will have so much to answer for, and even be potentially responsible for injury/death. If a boxers team pulls him out, that should be that.

Comment

Working...
                    X