No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Devin Haney vs. Jorge Linares - CompuBox Punch Stats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Devin Haney vs. Jorge Linares - CompuBox Punch Stats

WBC lightweight champion Devin Haney was leading most of the fight, outlanding Jorge Linares in every round through 10 rounds then was outlanded in rounds 11 and 12.
    [Click Here To Read More]

For total punches landed, that's 0.539 punches for Linares per 1.0 punches for Haney (116 to 215). Interestingly enough in Pacquiao vs Horn for total punches landed, Horn had landed 0.505 punches per 1.0 punches landed by Pacquiao (82 to 192), yet the judges scored it a victory for Horn. To this day there are those who still insist that Horn actually won that fight and was not gifted the win by crooked/incompetent judges. When will the Pacquiao vs Horn decision be reversed?

Comment

I'm not a believer in the accuracy of compubox punch stats, I've seen too many numbers which were inaccurate, the Mayweather vs Canelo stats were terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason Brown View Post
        I'm not a believer in the accuracy of compubox punch stats, I've seen too many numbers which were inaccurate, the Mayweather vs Canelo stats were terrible.
        I've watched the Pacquiao vs Horn fight repeatedly, and I cannot understand how Horn was declared the winner. Horn was at his best when he fouled Manny, and Horn did so repeatedly -- enough that he should have been warned and disqualified for continuing illegal tactics. On the other hand, Manny hurt Horn and hurt him badly. Just look at photos of Horn post fight. Now, as for compubox punch starts, each and every bout must be judged by the viewer himself, and then compubox stats looked at for they are not necessarily accurate. However, in the Pacquiao vs Horn fight, they are close to being accurate (by my count), so I make use of them.

Comment

I’m with ya but I’m not sure that’s the example I’d use lol. Even as a Canelo fan, trying to paint a different picture on what happened there I think kind of takes away just how far Canelo has come in the 7ish years since that fight. But even if compubox numbers were 100% accurate I still wouldn’t consider them much because if boxing was just arithmetic then there would be no need for judges. Like the Lara fight man, yea Lara outlanded Canelo but those jabs he was landing weren’t GGG jabs or Floyd jabs, they weren’t really doing a heck of a lot of anything. The shots Canelo was landing were making Lara run away all night however.

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurDimes View Post

I’m with ya but I’m not sure that’s the example I’d use lol. Even as a Canelo fan, trying to paint a different picture on what happened there I think kind of takes away just how far Canelo has come in the 7ish years since that fight. But even if compubox numbers were 100% accurate I still wouldn’t consider them much because if boxing was just arithmetic then there would be no need for judges. Like the Lara fight man, yea Lara outlanded Canelo but those jabs he was landing weren’t GGG jabs or Floyd jabs, they weren’t really doing a heck of a lot of anything. The shots Canelo was landing were making Lara run away all night however.
            I should be clear, I thought the fight was more one sided in terms of punches landed, not less, I think Compubox had them both landing more than they did, and that is more generous to Canelo.

Comment

Lol @ this thread. Compubox numbers for Haney Linares and a bunch of talk of Canelo and Manny...

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post

I've watched the Pacquiao vs Horn fight repeatedly, and I cannot understand how Horn was declared the winner. Horn was at his best when he fouled Manny, and Horn did so repeatedly -- enough that he should have been warned and disqualified for continuing illegal tactics. On the other hand, Manny hurt Horn and hurt him badly. Just look at photos of Horn post fight. Now, as for compubox punch starts, each and every bout must be judged by the viewer himself, and then compubox stats looked at for they are not necessarily accurate. However, in the Pacquiao vs Horn fight, they are close to being accurate (by my count), so I make use of them.
                I had Horn winning by 2 points, Arum and Roach had no problem with the decision, it was not a robbery, Horn used a lot of rough house tactics, nothing malicious, I wouldn't have had a problem with him losing a point, especially with the damage he was doing with his head, albeit unintentionally. That was an off night for Pacquiao, Roach admitted he hadn't been himself in camp, Pacquiao would beat Horn in a rematch, but that wasn't a bad decision. Compubox are not accurate in general, they'll be more accurate in some fights than others, but it isn't just technology, it's a person registering punches, that means bias can be a factor, but even without bias, it's very hard to keep track when you're counting punches in a live fight.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManRumble View Post
                  Lol @ this thread. Compubox numbers for Haney Linares and a bunch of talk of Canelo and Manny...
                  I have no idea what you're getting at.

Comment

I have no idea what you're getting at.
                    That people will look for any excuse to talk about Pac/Floyd/Canelo over what the thread is actually about?

Comment

Working...
                    X