Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Lopez: Haney Needs To Make Statement Against Linares; Can't Perform Like Gamboa Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Lopez: Haney Needs To Make Statement Against Linares; Can't Perform Like Gamboa Fight

LAS VEGAS - Teofimo Lopez hopes Devin Haney has improved since he beat Yuriorkis Gamboa six months ago. The better Haney looks against Jorge Linares on Saturday night, the more promoters and fans will be interested in a Lopez-Haney fight next. The undefeated, unified lightweight champion doesn't necessarily think Haney needs to knock out Linares, who has been beaten by technical knockout five times.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Anyone hoping for an upset here?
    VegasRaiders VegasRaiders likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftzman View Post

from the other thread.....

Linares: Haney Is Overlooking Me; Already Thinking Of Big Fights With Teofimo, Ryan Garcia
      https://www.boxingscene.com/linares-...garcia--157981

that is a classic trap for young players..... also, there are other factors.....

1) Devin Haney has been trained by his father Bill Haney ever since he was a little kid, but Bill Haney retired as Devin's trainer 3 months ago... so this will be Devin's first fight without his father in the corner, and this will be his first fight under new trainer Ben Davison..... personally, I think that Ben Davison is a very good trainer..... but there are still question marks over him, and you cannot achieve much with a fighter having only 1 camp together.....

2) this is a big step up for Haney, no question

in saying that..... I think Haney should be on point for this one..... the kid has a good head on his shoulders, and we have not seen the best of him yet

on the other hand, we know that Linares has a few miles on his clock..... but.....

1) there is a old saying in boxing..... "great fighters often have one great fight left in them"..... like Mosley did, with Margarito.....

2) Linares really is a superb fighter, regardless what the boxing-by-numbers casual fans seem to think

I pay no mind to betting odds in boxing..... favorites lose all the time, and this fight really interests me..... this is Haney's first real test, and Linares is desperate for this win..... his back is against the wall for this fight, it is make-or-break time for him

will Haney step up to the world stage and stamp his class on that fight, or will Linares summon up a great performance... ???

remember two things.....

1) Lomachenko is a boxing master, and yet his fight with Linares was dead even on the official scorecards up to the 10th round

2) you have to stop Linares to beat him..... and Haney is not a big puncher

this is a great crossroads fight, really looking forward to it

WAR Haney !!
      WAR Linares !!

LET'S GET IT ON !!

Comment

The article said Tokyo's Linares. Don't be in too a hurry to do a spell check. But thanks for this site, boxingscene is usually the best

Comment

Originally posted by kraftzman View Post
          This fight will measure where Haney is at if Linares has anything left in him. If Haney shines then a match against Lopez will be anticipated, if not it ends the hype. If Haney does win lets see if he actually takes the fight because all of these young talented 135 don't seemed that they want to fight each other.

Comment

Haney was the darling of the sweet carolines when he signed with young Edward.....”let’s make him an honorary Brit” etc etc for signed with and fighting on dayzin. But when he said “I’ll never lose to a white boy” man the sweet carolines dropped him 10 times faster than they almost did when Olafemi stated “the superior black race” and spoke out on proposed black economic separation. Now the sweet carolines want him to lose.....I guess he’s not an “honorary Brit” anymore....

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
              Haney was the darling of the sweet carolines when he signed with young Edward.....”let’s make him an honorary Brit” etc etc for signed with and fighting on dayzin. But when he said “I’ll never lose to a white boy” man the sweet carolines dropped him 10 times faster than they almost did when Olafemi stated “the superior black race” and spoke out on proposed black economic separation. Now the sweet carolines want him to lose.....I guess he’s not an “honorary Brit” anymore....
              LOL i do remember him saying that. That was quite a brazen comment and apparently out of the blue as well. Is he right? White peoples are definitely not as pronounced in boxing as in other sports for whatever reason so we do tend to see more of the dregs of theirs. But they do have some great fighters like calzaghe and Loma. Just not many of them. Haney really does need to make a good statement though because people don’t want to fight him. He is seen as the guy that might jab you to a victory while sliding away. No one wants to be a part of that. Fighters want to fight fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by BeLikeWater View Post

LOL i do remember him saying that. That was quite a brazen comment and apparently out of the blue as well. Is he right? White peoples are definitely not as pronounced in boxing as in other sports for whatever reason so we do tend to see more of the dregs of theirs. But they do have some great fighters like calzaghe and Loma. Just not many of them. Haney really does need to make a good statement though because people don’t want to fight him. He is seen as the guy that might jab you to a victory while sliding away. No one wants to be a part of that. Fighters want to fight fighters.
                Lopez said " I want Haney's head next: if he overprices himself, we'll go to purse bid." All Devin Haney needs to do is concentrate on winning....that's it. Either Lopez will fight him or he'll give us a litany of excuses and once tell his fans whom he does not need to fight.

BTW, Klitschko dominated heavyweight division for 11 years and Fury is a white Brit whom I believe will only be challenged by a Black Brit. By your way of thinking...does that mean the best heavyweights can only come from outside the US? Just sayn.

Comment

My apologies, I didn't know that Linares actually lives in Tokyo. Strange choice but a first world country indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by factsarenice View Post

Lopez said " I want Haney's head next: if he overprices himself, we'll go to purse bid." All Devin Haney needs to do is concentrate on winning....that's it. Either Lopez will fight him or he'll give us a litany of excuses and once tell his fans whom he does not need to fight.

BTW, Klitschko dominated heavyweight division for 11 years and Fury is a white Brit whom I believe will only be challenged by a Black Brit. By your way of thinking...does that mean the best heavyweights can only come from outside the US? Just sayn.
                    I don’t follow your last comment. Also klitchko ruled in an era without Lennox or anyone as good as lennox.

Comment

Working...
                    X