No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: How Sunny Edwards and Grant Smith Defied The Critics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: How Sunny Edwards and Grant Smith Defied The Critics

"This is a true story," explains Sunny Edwards. "When I left Repton [Amateur Boxing Club] to go to Sheffield for university, England coaches who had worked with me over the last few years of being a five-time national champion... the first thing they said to [trainer] Grant [Smith] when they knew he was training me was, 'You ain't gonna do nothing with that boy.' They said he'd do nothing with the kid. Fast forward seven years and he's made me world champion."
    [Click Here To Read More]

Queensberry Promotions and Edwards team made the right decision to go for the IBF flyweight championship, by doing so they avoided the WBC champion Julio Cesar Martinez ; who KO Charlie Edwards ( Sunny's older brother ) and is in his prime. This praise for Sunny Edwards is arguably unwarranted, sure on paper this achievement in winning a world title looks good : Moruti Mthlane was unbeaten since he lost to Nonito Donaire in 2008, but Moruti Mthalane was one of the oldest title holders in the sport with limited abilities against Edward's marathon style of stinking up the joint. As such, you were virtually getting even money on Sunny to beat the veteran champion, so can this victory be considered a 'upset', I'm not sure.

Sunny Edwards team are delighted with the results, but he hurt his public image and made no fans, I actually think he lost some support by winning his world-title, like a chicken. I predict that one of these days, Sunny like will meet a Nonito Donaire, like Ryan Burnett, who got his cheeks busted and retired, completely forgotten by the UK fans.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
      Queensberry Promotions and Edwards team made the right decision to go for the IBF flyweight championship, by doing so they avoided the WBC champion Julio Cesar Martinez ; who KO Charlie Edwards ( Sunny's older brother ) and is in his prime. This praise for Sunny Edwards is arguably unwarranted, sure on paper this achievement in winning a world title looks good : Moruti Mthlane was unbeaten since he lost to Nonito Donaire in 2008, but Moruti Mthalane was one of the oldest title holders in the sport with limited abilities against Edward's marathon style of stinking up the joint. As such, you were virtually getting even money on Sunny to beat the veteran champion, so can this victory be considered a 'upset', I'm not sure.

Sunny Edwards team are delighted with the results, but he hurt his public image and made no fans, I actually think he lost some support by winning his world-title, like a chicken. I predict that one of these days, Sunny like will meet a Nonito Donaire, like Ryan Burnett, who got his cheeks busted and retired, completely forgotten by the UK fans.
      Some interesting points there. I’ve concluded that you think Nonito was so far ahead of Ryan that he injured and retired him without making contact! levels

Comment

Sunny won new fans with his last performance. I thought it was a boxing masterclass against the ring number one who was favourite with the bookies.

Comment

Originally posted by GlassJoey View Post

Some interesting points there. I’ve concluded that you think Nonito was so far ahead of Ryan that he injured and retired him without making contact! levels

I have never heard of a boxer retiring from'' torn muscle fibers from his internal oblique'' , ever in my life. Ryan Burnett was one of the most cowardice unified champions I ever seen in my days of following this sport, Burnett ducked Manny Rod, gave-up the IBF bantamweight title and then gave up his cheeks to Nonito Donaire in the WBSS.

The Edward bros, are following that Ryan Burnett retirement plan, Sunny is likely going to avoid any worthy mandatory and cashout to the highest bidder, I'm sure of it.

Originally posted by !-1 View Post
          Sunny won new fans with his last performance. I thought it was a boxing masterclass against the ring number one who was favourite with the bookies.
          mlac mlac likes this.

Comment

A unification with Artem Dalakian might be a good move.

Comment

Working...
            X